No change in entropy of the system+surroundings in reversible process.Really?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
kntsy
Messages
80
Reaction score
0
No change in entropy of the system+surroundings in "reversible" process.Really?

This is a challenge to the sentense from some basic text.
I think reversible is not enough.
It has to be ISOTHERMAL, right?
Lets me be sure that i am correct!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


kntsy said:
This is a challenge to the sentense from some basic text.
I think reversible is not enough.
It has to be ISOTHERMAL, right?
Lets me be sure that i am correct!
No. An adiabatic process (eg. expansion or compression) can be reversible. In such a case, the temperature is not constant.

AM
 


Andrew Mason said:
No. An adiabatic process (eg. expansion or compression) can be reversible. In such a case, the temperature is not constant.

AM

Thanks! But what about REVERSIBLE isobaric, isovolume,? The total system+environment change in entropy still can remain zero?
I discover an important fact:
[tex]\triangle S_{total}=\triangle S_{in} +\triangle S_{out}=0[/tex]
iff
[tex]\int\frac{dq_{in}}{T}=\int\frac{dq_{out}}{T}[/tex]
iff
reversible isothermal or adabiatic!
 
Last edited: