What Is the Problem with the Electron's Travel Distance in the Field?

In summary: Earth the front of the screen separately to get rid of the arriving electrons, so there should be a break between the screen and bottom earthed plate, or the screen is assumed to be nonconductive)."electron will move up or down the screen depending on the voltage on the upper plate. Opinion number two:The electron will move up or down the screen depending on the voltage on the upper plate.
ksle82

Attachments

• electron.JPG
    electron.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 616
Physics news on Phys.org
You have an electron moving through a magnetic field. The problem asks two things: to determine what properties affect the motion and how far up or down the electron will move during its flight.

The electron is moving at some speed Vo to the right towards the screen of a TV. On its way it passes below a conducting plate (indicated by the characters TV). This plate can be charged electrically. The rest of the TV structure is electrically neutral (earthed) and will not cause any deflection in its motion.

Opinion number three:

the electron has a known charge and a known mass. It passes through an ELECTRIC field of a capacitor (air filled) that is at a certain voltage, and a certain distance between plates. V=Ed . [even though the bottom plate is grounded, there still is a potential difference between the two plates and there will be an electric field between them that can be assumed to be uniform]

As the electron moves through the field it will experience a force. F=qE . this will cause an acceleration. (you should know that equation). resulting motion will be like projectile motion.

BTW, the question says "L" while the diagram indicates "lambda." Eityher way, this is the horizontal distance traveled by the electron. Also, what the heck is with "TV" as the voltage? Maybe that's why Halls thought it was a magnetic field? What's a "Tesla-Volt" anyhow? Ah well, just state the variable voltage as "V," and no one can say it's wrong.

Edit: I just looked at the drawing again, and I am certain that it is horrifically poorly drawn. I would assume the following: d is the distance between the plates (even though it is unclear) and "L/lambda" is the distance the electron travels through the electric field, even though the plates appear to extend only halfway across "L." You could decide to assum that the filed exists only for L/2, but make it clear that it is an assumption according to the drawing; there is no precise indicator of this actual length.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:
Edit: I just looked at the drawing again, and I am certain that it is horrifically poorly drawn. I would assume the following: d is the distance between the plates (even though it is unclear) and "L/lambda" is the distance the electron travels through the electric field, even though the plates appear to extend only halfway across "L." You could decide to assum that the filed exists only for L/2, but make it clear that it is an assumption according to the drawing; there is no precise indicator of this actual length.

It's not drawn poorly, it's just not standard is all.

d is the distancebetween the plates, d/2 is indicating that the electron is halfway between the plates. L/lamda is the distance it travels, you can see there is a line drawn out to either side of lamda... it's labelled in the middle of the distance it measures.

And on the TV: It says TV because the electron is moving through a TV capacitor

The charge on the upper TV plate will be mirrored by a charge of opposite magnitude on the lower plate (bad drawing - the intention was probably to have a separate earthed plate at the bottom and also Earth the front of the screen separately to get rid of the arriving electrons, so there should be a break between the screen and bottom earthed plate, or the screen is assumed to be nonconductive). This will then in effect produce a uniform electric field between the top and bottom earthed plate.

Last edited:
Office_Shredder said:
It's not drawn poorly, it's just not standard is all.

d is the distancebetween the plates, d/2 is indicating that the electron is halfway between the plates. L/lamda is the distance it travels, you can see there is a line drawn out to either side of lamda... it's labelled in the middle of the distance it measures.

And on the TV: It says TV because the electron is moving through a TV capacitor
I see that, but there is still a line that is clearly the upper plate. THis line extends some distance that is approximately half of the distanc "L."

And if the "TV" stands for "television," all I can say is that it is an odd-as-heck place to put it (on the upper plate, where one is expecting a "V" to refer to voltage). I'm NOT saying you are wrong on this point, I'm just giving my reasons for saying that this problem is poorly drawn/presented. If there was an intent to state that this was a television, it should have said so in the text. Even still, this problem is a generic "charge moving through electric field" problem, and there is no additional information that comes from knowing it is a television and as presented the "TV" is confusing and distracting.

Continuing with this badly designed problem the next error is that the indicated distance, lambda, is such that for a portion of the distance the electron will travel outside of the field. There is no indication of what horizontal distance the electron travel while in the electric field. One will therefore have to introduce one's own symbol for this distance.

andrevdh said:
Continuing with this badly designed problem the next error is that the indicated distance, lambda, is such that for a portion of the distance the electron will travel outside of the field. There is no indication of what horizontal distance the electron travel while in the electric field. One will therefore have to introduce one's own symbol for this distance.
Well yeah, that's what I said. Twice!:wink:

1. What is the meaning of "No idea what this question is asking"?

The meaning of "No idea what this question is asking" is that the person asking the question does not understand the question and is unsure of what information is being requested.

2. How do I know what this question is asking?

To determine what this question is asking, you can try rephrasing the question or breaking it down into smaller parts. You can also ask for clarification from the person who asked the question.

3. What should I do if I don't know the answer to this question?

If you don't know the answer to this question, you can try researching the topic or asking for help from someone who may have more knowledge on the subject. If necessary, you can also politely decline to answer the question.

4. Is it okay to not understand a question?

Yes, it is completely normal to not understand a question. It is important to ask for clarification or further explanation if needed.

5. How can I improve my understanding of a question?

To improve your understanding of a question, you can practice active listening and asking questions to ensure you fully comprehend what is being asked. You can also seek out additional resources or ask for help from someone with more expertise on the topic.