Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nodal Analysis- direction of currents flow

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1
    The figure shows a transistor with a bias circuit. If Ic=50IB and if VBE=0.7V, find VCE.
    b4sra8.jpg
    My question is:
    The current through 700Ω resistor is H=[0.7+(51IB(250))]/700,
    then when KCL is applied at the left hand node, the current flowing through the 3kΩ resistor suppose to be (according to hint),H+ IB. However isn't it suppose to be minus(H+IB)? (since the currents drop through resistors equals minus IB, it flows out of the node to the source)?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2
    Well the correct answer is that the current flowing through the 3kΩ resistor is equal to H +Ib.
    Why you think that H - Ib is correct answer ?

4. Jun 20, 2013 #3
    -For the nodal analysis (at the left-hand node), does the part towards the current IB flows regarded as resistor? (By that I mean shouldn't the transistor part be regarded as a current source?)

- Does the direction of flow through 3kΩ and 700Ω resistors is downwards due to the polarity of the voltage source 9V?

Thanks in advance.

5. Jun 20, 2013 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

With the battery 'that way up', current will be flowing from top (+) to bottom (-) of the circuit. Thus, the current through the 3k will split through the lower resistor and the base.
    The base of a transistor does not appear as a constant current - just a high resistance, when an emitter (voltage feedback) resistor is in place; it is the collector which approximates to a constant current source.
    I think I would re-write your equation
    as H=[0.7+(IE(250))]/700, initially, and develop it from there (if you haven't already done so).

6. Jun 20, 2013 #5
    The base current in NPN transistor always flow into the base. Flow in direction show by the arrow in your diagram.

Yes, simply current flow from "+" to "-". And we have "+" at top and "-" at the bottom.
    So when looking at schematics, most people get comfortable with the general notion that things flow top to bottom and left to right.

7. Jun 22, 2013 #6
    sophiecentaur : Thank you very much!

Jony130: Thank you very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook