Master Nodal Analysis with this KCL Question | Nodal Analysis Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses using KCL to solve a circuit with supernodes. The poster mentions forming KCL equations and subbing in values, but is getting unrealistic results. Another user suggests using KCL around a loop and explains how to do so, providing additional resources for reference.
Cyb3rGlitch

Homework Statement

elecq.png

Homework Equations

KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

elecq-sol.png

I recognise that the voltage sources form supernodes. This produces:

[tex]A - B = 10[/tex] -> [tex]A = 10 + B[/tex]

We also know that node C is 12v.

I then form KCL equations:
[tex]6 + \frac{A - C}{12} = \frac{B}{40} + \frac {A}{24}[/tex]

When I simplify this and sub in C and A, I get a ridiculous results. What am I missing here? Cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one can help?

I think Vb-Va=10 -> Va=Vb-10.
To see this, write a kcl around the loop starting from the reference node to Node A and then Node B:

-Va-10+Vb=0 ->Va=Vb-10.

I have explained this on one of my posts:
http://circuits.solved-problems.com/resistive-circuits/nodal-analysis-supernode/
Scroll down to section three of the solution. Read the paragraph starting with "The voltage of Node III can be written in terms of the voltage of Node I."
It is also explained in my Nodal Analysis ebook, which can be downloaded from my website for free (a free and simple registrating is required though):
http://circuits.solved-problems.com/nodal-analysis/

Hope this will be of help.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Master Nodal Analysis with this KCL Question | Nodal Analysis Homework

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current at each node (junction) in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of the currents entering a node must equal the sum of the currents leaving the node.

2. How is nodal analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Nodal analysis is different from other methods, such as mesh analysis and Thevenin's theorem, because it directly solves for the unknown node voltages rather than using equations for current or voltage sources. This makes it a more efficient method for solving complex circuits with multiple nodes.

3. When is nodal analysis most useful?

Nodal analysis is most useful when analyzing circuits with multiple voltage sources and/or current sources. It is also useful for circuits with dependent sources, where the value of a source is dependent on the value of another element in the circuit.

4. What are the steps for solving a nodal analysis problem?

The steps for solving a nodal analysis problem are:
1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit.
2. Choose a reference node and assign it a voltage of 0.
3. Apply Kirchhoff's Current Law at each node to write equations for the currents entering and leaving the node.
4. Solve the system of equations to find the unknown node voltages.
5. Use Ohm's Law to calculate the current through each element in the circuit.

5. What are some tips for solving nodal analysis problems efficiently?

Some tips for solving nodal analysis problems efficiently include:
- Choose the node with the most unknown voltages as your reference node.
- Label the nodes and unknown voltages clearly.
- Use a systematic approach, such as starting with the nodes with the most connections.
- Check your work by making sure the sum of the currents entering and leaving each node is equal.
- Use a calculator or software program to solve the system of equations.