Solving KVL: Voltage Across All Elements

In summary, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of voltage changes along a closed loop = 0. Homework Equations Determine the voltage across all elementsHomework Equationsi=v/rv1+v2+v3+..=0The Attempt at a SolutionI'm not sure which of the nodes I should use to take my KVL from. The a and b are labeled, but should I combine the set of 2-6-6 resistors and label that as an essential node? Should I have four essential nodes?There are olny unknown three nodes (four if you include ground). at two of the nodes you'll need to
orangeincup

Homework Statement

Determine the voltage across all elements

Homework Equations

i=v/r
v1+v2+v3+..=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure which of the nodes I should use to take my KVL from. The a and b are labeled, but should I combine the set of 2-6-6 resistors and label that as an essential node? Should I have four essential nodes?

Attachments

• node1.png
    node1.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 394
Physics news on Phys.org
orangeincup said:
I'm not sure which of the nodes I should use to take my KVL from.
You can use KVL ( loops ) or KCL ( nodes ).

So if you use KVL, you must sketch three closed loops ( with a positive direction ), like the two loops, S1 and S2 here:

KCL-and-KVL-example.png

Kirchhoff says that the sum of voltage changes along a closed loop = 0

So as for S1, you could write:

ε1 - S1*R1 - S1*R2 + S2*R2 = 0

Write another equation as for S2.

Having solved the equations, you find: i2 = S1 - S2 , and so on.

Last edited:
orangeincup said:

Homework Statement

Determine the voltage across all elements

Homework Equations

i=v/r
v1+v2+v3+..=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure which of the nodes I should use to take my KVL from. The a and b are labeled, but should I combine the set of 2-6-6 resistors and label that as an essential node? Should I have four essential nodes?
There are olny unknown three nodes (four if you include ground). at two of the nodes you'll need to do a supernode if you use KCLs

Also you say you need to do node analysis. If that's the case follow Hesche's advice. If you need to do NODAL ANALYSIS as your method, then use KCLs.

It says I must use the node-voltage method. I'm confused what to do when there's a voltage source already at the node. Am I suppose to take 3 different super nodes?

orangeincup said:
It says I must use the node-voltage method. I'm confused what to do when there's a voltage source already at the node. Am I suppose to take 3 different super nodes?
I don't see any supernode situations here. Just three essential nodes:
Fig2.gif

The ground (reference) node was already provided.

You should be able to write node equations for the three nodes.

Okay, I made two formulas with node 1) and node 2)

Node 1)
(v1-12)/2 + (v1-v3)/6 + (v1-v2)/2

Node 2) (v2-v1)/2 + (v2-v3)/6 + (v2-12)/2

Node 3) seems to be (v3-v1)/6+12/6+(v3-v2)/6

Solving...
v1=10
v2=10
v3=4

I set v1 as node 1, v2 as node 2, and v3 as node 3.

Is there a way I can verify my answer by myself?

orangeincup said:
Okay, I made two formulas with node 1) and node 2)

Node 1)

Node 2) (v2-v1)/2 + (v2-v3)/6 + (v2-12)/2

Node 3) seems to be (v3-v1)/6+12/6+(v3-v2)/6
Check that middle term. It should involve v3.
Is there a way I can verify my answer by myself?
Usually one would insert the values and confirm consistency, say by verifying that KCL is satisfied at each node using the voltages solved for, or, using another method entirely to see if you get the same results (mesh analysis perhaps).

I'm trying to solve for all the currents in the ciruit and prove power delivered=power absorbed

(v1-12)/2 =-1 a
(v1-v3)/6 =1 a
(v1-v2)/2 = 0 a(?)

(v2-v1)/2 =0 a
(v2-v3)/6=1 a
(v2-12)/2= -1 a

(v3-v1)/6=-1 a
12/6=2 a
(v3-v2)/6=-1 a

I have two values of zero for the resistor between v1 and v2.

power delivered = 12*1a + 12*1a + 12*2a = 48 W
power absorbed = 1^2*2ohm + 1a^2*6ohm + 1^2a*6ohm + 2a^2*6ohm+1^2*2ohm +2a^2*2ohm = 48 W

I reuploaded the picture with all the values labeled , does this look correct?

Attachments

• directions.png
    directions.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 401
Zero volts and zero current for the resistor between nodes 1 and 2 is to be expected by the symmetry of the circuit. Symmetry should also tell you something about the directions of certain current pairs.

You still haven't fixed that middle term in the node 3 equation. Fix it and re-solve.

(v2-v1)/2 + (v2-v3)/6 + (v2-12)/2
(v3-v1)/6+(v3-12)/6+(v3-v2)/6

Solving...
v1=v2=v3=12VI also tried solving another way,

(v3-v1)/6+(v3+12)/6+(v3-v2)/6v1=48/5, v2=48/5, v3=12/5

I think I did something wrong, I'm suppose to be calculating the current for the entire circuit so I can solve for power absorbed=power deliveredpower delivered = 12*1a + 12*1a + 12*1a = 36 W
power absorbed = ? I'm not sure how to get the currents/voltages for the individual pieces. According to my equations most of them will be zero now, since they are all 12-12.

orangeincup said:
(v3-v1)/6+(v3-12)/6+(v3-v2)/6

Solving...
v1=v2=v3=12V
The (v3-12)/6 term is not correct; be careful with the polarity of the source in that leg! It's not the same as that of the other voltage sources. (I see that you've fixed that in your next attempt below)
I also tried solving another way,

(v3-v1)/6+(v3+12)/6+(v3-v2)/6v1=48/5, v2=48/5, v3=12/5
Those values look good :smile:
I think I did something wrong, I'm suppose to be calculating the current for the entire circuit so I can solve for power absorbed=power deliveredpower delivered = 12*1a + 12*1a + 12*1a = 36 W
power absorbed = ? I'm not sure how to get the currents/voltages for the individual pieces. According to my equations most of them will be zero now, since they are all 12-12.
The individual terms in your node equations represent the currents in the branches that they were written for. So you can plug in your v1, v2, v3 values to those terms and pull out the individual branch currents. Use those currents to calculate the powers produced or consumed by each of the components.

Have you considered simplifying the circuit using symmetry? Sorry if this has already been discussed. The internet connection from this hospital bed isn't great so I type in haste.

1. What is KVL and why is it important in circuit analysis?

KVL stands for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of the voltages in a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. This law is important in circuit analysis because it helps us understand the relationships between different components and the overall behavior of a circuit.

2. How do you solve for the voltage across all elements using KVL?

To solve for the voltage across all elements using KVL, you need to first identify all the closed loops in the circuit. Then, write out the KVL equation for each loop, setting the sum of the voltages equal to zero. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the voltage across each element.

3. Can KVL be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, KVL can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a DC circuit, AC circuit, or a combination of both. However, it is important to note that the voltages used in the KVL equations must be consistent with the type of circuit being analyzed.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using KVL to solve for voltages?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using KVL include not considering the polarity of voltage sources, not correctly identifying all the closed loops in the circuit, and not properly applying the law of conservation of energy. It is important to double check your work and make sure all the equations are set up accurately.

5. Are there any alternative methods to solving for voltages in a circuit besides KVL?

Yes, another commonly used method for solving for voltages in a circuit is Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). KCL states that the sum of the currents entering and exiting a node must equal zero. Both KVL and KCL can be used together to fully analyze a circuit and determine the voltages and currents at different points.