Node Voltage Analysis Questions

In summary, the conversation revolves around two questions regarding a circuit problem and the use of node voltage analysis method to solve it. The first question involves combining resistors and extending nodes, while the second question discusses the placement of reference voltage and the flow of current in the circuit. The expert suggests separating the questions into two posts to avoid confusion and provides help for the first problem by pointing out an incorrect treatment of a controlled source.
turpy
Hopefully it's ok if I post two questions

QUESTION 1

Homework Statement

1zgbx2e.jpg

Homework Equations

Node voltage analysis method

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all is this circuit equivalent?
16ibr0y.jpg
(combining the 10 ohm and 4 ohm in parallel, and extending the ends of the protruding 10 om to nodes for v1 and v2?)

If so I solve (using the sum of all currents flowing into a node =0)
(1) 3 + ix + (v2-v1)/10 + 4*ix =0
(2) -4*ix + 7 + (v1-v2)/10 - v2 /2.86 = 0
with ix = -v1 /4
(1) -1.35*v1 + 0.1*v2 = -3
(2) 1.1*v1 - 0.45*v2 = -7
v1 = 4.12 V
v2 = 25.63 V

QUESTION 2

Homework Statement

2ebyii9.jpg

Homework Equations

node voltage analysis method

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm at a loss as to where I should place the reference ( 0V ground) voltage, and where to put the nodes for node voltage analysis.

Typically the ground is at the negative terminal of the voltage source. But if I put it there, would the other junctions along the bottom be 0V? I thought the voltage drops would be the same only if the resistors were in parallel, and with the ladder/steps I'm not so sure.

We're given that there's 0.2V across the 1ohm resistor, so it's 2A of current flowing through it by ohm's law. The 2 ohm resistor above is has the same 2A flowing through since it's in series. But does the 2 ohm resistor in parallel (are they parallel?) to them have 2A flowing through, and then in turn the 4 ohm resistor?
I'm really missing something to understand how currents flow and voltages drop in a circuit

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be less confusing if you did 2 posts. I'm willing to help with the 2nd one, for now. Recheck your calculation for current through the 1Ω. It should be 0.2A. Consider the entire bottom rail to be at 0V if you like. You can solve this problem by working right-to-left. If you know the voltage, you know the current, if you know the current, you know the voltage across the resistor above, etc...

As lewando suggested, separate threads for separate problems will help to reduce confusion, otherwise you'll have a lot of interleaved "crosstalk" to sort through. This will be no fun for you or for people wanting to help.

I can help you with the first problem. So far, looking at your equation (1) for the V1 node, it looks as though you've treated the controlled source as a current source. That is incorrect as it is a voltage source. Note that this makes the v1 and v2 potentials into a Supernode, which will actually simplify your calculations somewhat.

Oh, and yes, your second rendering of the circuit is equivalent to the original.

1. What is Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis is a method used to analyze and solve circuits by applying Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) at each node in the circuit. It involves identifying unknown node voltages and using them to determine current flows and other circuit parameters.

2. What are the steps for performing Node Voltage Analysis?

The steps for performing Node Voltage Analysis are as follows:1. Identify and label all nodes in the circuit.2. Select a reference node and assign it a voltage of 0.3. Write KCL equations for each non-reference node, using Ohm's Law to express current in terms of node voltages.4. Solve the resulting system of equations for the unknown node voltages.5. Use the node voltages to determine other circuit parameters, such as current flows or power dissipation.

3. What are the advantages of using Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis has several advantages, including:- It is a systematic approach that can be applied to any circuit, regardless of complexity.- It can be used to solve circuits with both independent and dependent sources.- It allows for easy visualization of circuit parameters, such as voltage drops and current flows.- It can be easily extended to analyze circuits with multiple loops or multiple sources.

4. When is Node Voltage Analysis not applicable?

Node Voltage Analysis is not applicable in circuits that contain voltage sources connected in series with resistors. This is because the voltage across a resistor in series with a voltage source cannot be determined without knowing the current flowing through it, which cannot be found using KCL at a node.

5. Can Node Voltage Analysis be used for circuits with non-linear elements?

Node Voltage Analysis can only be used for linear circuits, meaning that the circuit elements must follow Ohm's Law. Non-linear elements, such as diodes or transistors, cannot be analyzed using this method and require more advanced techniques.