Non 1:1 Ratio in Acid-Base Neutralization

• Thread starter nolachrymose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the conversation discusses acid-base neutralization, specifically when the ratio of hydroxides in the base to that of hydrogens in the acid is greater than 1. The general rule is that the products of neutralization are water and a salt. However, in some cases, an acid or base salt may also be formed. The specific products in the given reaction, HCl + Ca(OH)_2, are calcium chloride and water. The conversation also mentions the importance of balancing equations and the role of hydrolysis in solution.
nolachrymose
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to chemistry. Currently we're working on simply acid-base neutralizations, and I have a question. What happens when the ratio of hydroxides in the base to that of hydogens in the acid is >1. For instance, how would one predict the products of the following reaction:
[tex]HCl + Ca(OH)_2 \longrightarrow ?[/tex]

I'm not really sure what the products would be (though I'm almost certain one would have to be water). I know how to do the reverse (when ratio hydrogen:hydroxide >1), but not the other way around. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What is the general rule of acid-base neutralization?What are the products of reaction...?

Daniel.

acid base neutralizations involve the formation of water and the corresponding salt. The salt is calcium chloride. You know the products, now simply balance.

It would have been nicer,if he/she used his/her 'processor' to come to the right conclusions...

Daniel.

But is that really all? My teacher had told us that for every hydrogen, a hydroxide is picked off. Thus, if the ratio is not 1:1, the reaction won't go to completion, and something other than a salt will be formed. Why is this not so then?

To give an example, she gave us the following reactants:
[tex]2H_3PO_4 + Ca(OH)_2[/tex]

She said it would form water and calcium dihydrogen phosphate, rather than just water and calcium phopshate, because each hydroxide from calcium hydroxide picks off a single hydrogen to form water, and so two dihydrogen phosphates would be left to combine with calcium.

I figured the same principle would apply the same way if it were the opposite (i.e. there were not enough hydrogens for each hydroxide to pick off one and make water). If not, why is this so?

Now,there's a problem,incidentally the phosphoric acid is very weak and the first constant of acidity is the greatest (the other 2 are very small),so that' s why it will tend to form [itex] Ca(H_{2}PO_{4})_{2} [/itex]...On the other hand,the hydrochloric one is amond the strongest acids and definitely it will ionize totally,as to form the [itex] CaCl_{2} [/itex]...

Things are not as simple as they may look...

Daniel.

And one more thing...In such acid+base reactions,it will always come out a salt (non necessary "neutral") and water...

Daniel.

You're thinking about this too much. Simply write the equation showing the products and from there you can balance it out, you'll see what I mean.

nolachrymose said:
I'm pretty new to chemistry. Currently we're working on simply acid-base neutralizations, and I have a question. What happens when the ratio of hydroxides in the base to that of hydogens in the acid is >1. For instance, how would one predict the products of the following reaction:
[tex]HCl + Ca(OH)_2 \longrightarrow ?[/tex]

I think some of the answers other have posted are a little bit misleading.

Apart from neutral salts, like [itex]CaCl_2[/itex], there are also acid salts (like [itex]NaHCO_3[/itex]) and base salts (like [itex]CaOHCl[/itex]) - I hope I am using proper English names.

If you mix acid and base and you let the solution dry out you will have a salt - depending on the amount of substances mixed you may have any salt (or mixture of salts). Mixing solutions of 1 mole [itex]Ca(OH)_2[/itex] with 1 mole [itex]H_3PO_4[/itex] you will obtain 1 mole of [itex]CaHPO_4[/itex] - try to figure out by yourself what will happen if you use other amounts of acid and base.

In the solution situation may look slightly different, due to hydrolysis - in the solution of 1M [itex]Na_3PO_4[/itex] about 30% of [itex]PO_4^3^+[/itex] is protonated to [itex]HPO_4^2^+[/itex] ions and the pH of the solution is 12.7 - as in 0.05M strong base solution. But dried out salt will be perfectly neutral.

http://www.chembuddy.com.pl
Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

Last edited by a moderator:
You're complicating things,

[tex]2HCl_{(aq)} + Ca(OH)_2_{(aq)} \longrightarrow CaCl_2_{(aq)} + 2H_2O_{(l)}[/tex]

from this the OP should know what's going on

Related to Non 1:1 Ratio in Acid-Base Neutralization

1. What is a non 1:1 ratio in acid-base neutralization?

Non 1:1 ratio in acid-base neutralization refers to a situation where the number of moles of acid and base are not equal in a chemical reaction. This means that there is an excess of either acid or base present, leading to a different ratio than the ideal 1:1 ratio.

2. How does a non 1:1 ratio affect the outcome of an acid-base neutralization reaction?

A non 1:1 ratio can affect the outcome of an acid-base neutralization reaction in several ways. If there is an excess of acid, the solution will be more acidic than expected, and if there is an excess of base, the solution will be more basic. This can affect the pH of the solution and the amount of products formed in the reaction.

3. What are some possible causes of a non 1:1 ratio in acid-base neutralization?

A non 1:1 ratio can be caused by a variety of factors, such as using an incorrect amount of reactants, using impure reactants, or not measuring the reactants accurately. Additionally, certain reactions may have a non 1:1 ratio as a result of the stoichiometry of the reaction.

4. How can a non 1:1 ratio in acid-base neutralization be corrected?

A non 1:1 ratio can be corrected by adjusting the amount of reactants used in the reaction. This can be done by either adding more of the reactant in excess or by diluting the solution to achieve the desired ratio. It is important to measure the reactants accurately and use pure chemicals to avoid a non 1:1 ratio.

5. Is a non 1:1 ratio always undesirable in acid-base neutralization?

No, a non 1:1 ratio is not always undesirable in acid-base neutralization. In some cases, a non 1:1 ratio may be intentionally used to achieve a specific outcome, such as in titration experiments. However, in most cases, a 1:1 ratio is desired as it allows for the most efficient use of reactants and produces the expected products.