1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-linear device problem

1. Jun 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See figure

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Again, see figure I tried something and it looked promising but the answer doesn't work out.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

• NLDQ.jpg
      File size:
      18.7 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Could you explain your reasoning to get the equation

[tex]\frac{1+v_Q/i_Q}{2+v_Q/i_Q} = 10[/tex]

I don't see how you're applying Kirchoff's voltage law to get that.
  4. Jun 25, 2010 #3
    You know the 1 ohm resistor is in parallel with the 10V source, therefore the voltage across it is 10V. Now we can subtract from the 10V the drop across the other 1 ohm resistor which is 1*Iq, and subtract Vq. 10 - 1*Iq - Vq=0, we can plug in for Iq which is Vq^2+2*Vq. Solve for Vq, you'll obtain a positive and negative value but only the positive makes sense because of our polarity.

Attached Files:

5. Jun 26, 2010 #4

Gold Member

When you combine the circuit resistances, first by adding the two in series, and then by calculating the two in parallel, you get a value of resistance (keep in mind SI units).

In your equations you say this resistance is equal to 10 volts by KVL.

[tex]\frac{1+v_Q/i_Q}{2+v_Q/i_Q} = 10[/tex]

Resistance does not equal voltage.
  6. Jun 26, 2010 #5
    Thanks for the responses. I must have been out of it at the time putting resistance equal to voltage lol.

I understand now.

[tex] V_{q} = 2V [/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook