What is the solution to the non-linear device problem?

In summary, The conversation discusses a circuit with a 10V source and two 1 ohm resistors in parallel. The goal is to find the voltage across one of the resistors, Vq. After some calculations and explanations of Kirchoff's voltage law, it is determined that Vq = 2V.
jegues

Homework Statement

See figure

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Again, see figure I tried something and it looked promising but the answer doesn't work out.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• NLDQ.jpg
    NLDQ.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 441
Physics news on Phys.org
Could you explain your reasoning to get the equation

[tex]\frac{1+v_Q/i_Q}{2+v_Q/i_Q} = 10[/tex]

I don't see how you're applying Kirchoff's voltage law to get that.

You know the 1 ohm resistor is in parallel with the 10V source, therefore the voltage across it is 10V. Now we can subtract from the 10V the drop across the other 1 ohm resistor which is 1*Iq, and subtract Vq. 10 - 1*Iq - Vq=0, we can plug in for Iq which is Vq^2+2*Vq. Solve for Vq, you'll obtain a positive and negative value but only the positive makes sense because of our polarity.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 376
When you combine the circuit resistances, first by adding the two in series, and then by calculating the two in parallel, you get a value of resistance (keep in mind SI units).

In your equations you say this resistance is equal to 10 volts by KVL.

[tex]\frac{1+v_Q/i_Q}{2+v_Q/i_Q} = 10[/tex]

Resistance does not equal voltage.

Thanks for the responses. I must have been out of it at the time putting resistance equal to voltage lol.

I understand now.

[tex] V_{q} = 2V [/tex]

1. What is a non-linear device?

A non-linear device is an electronic component or system that does not follow a linear relationship between its input and output. This means that the output signal is not directly proportional to the input signal, and can exhibit complex behavior and characteristics.

2. What causes non-linear behavior in devices?

Non-linear behavior in devices can be caused by a variety of factors, such as non-linear circuit elements, non-uniform material properties, and non-ideal operating conditions. These factors can lead to distortions, harmonics, and other types of non-linearities in the device's output signal.

3. How can non-linear devices impact circuit performance?

Non-linear devices can have a significant impact on circuit performance, as they can introduce distortions and interferences in the output signal. This can affect the accuracy and reliability of the circuit, and may require additional measures to compensate for these non-linear effects.

4. What are some common examples of non-linear devices?

Some common examples of non-linear devices include diodes, transistors, amplifiers, and signal processing components such as filters and mixers. These devices are essential in many electronic systems, but their non-linear behavior must be carefully considered and managed for optimal performance.

5. How can non-linear device problems be addressed?

Non-linear device problems can be addressed through various techniques, such as using linearization methods, adjusting circuit design and components, and implementing feedback and compensation techniques. It is also important to carefully test and characterize non-linear devices to better understand their behavior and limitations.