Non linear resistance, logs and graph

In summary, Non linear resistance, voltage and current have the following relationship: I=VR^k, where k is a constant.
greg997
Non linear resistance, voltage and current have the following relationship

I=VR^k, where k is a constant
I am given a few values for I and R
R= 2 then I= 5.8
R= 4 then I=15.7

I am supposed to take natural logs of both sides and plot on graph. And from graph to find k.

So then I have
1.757=ln(V)+k0.693
2.753=ln(V)+k1.386
and so on
And I have no idea how to procede and how to plot that.
Any help is welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve it as a system of equations to find V and K...

by setting K = K and creating a new variable J such that J = ln(v) and once you isolate the values of K and J respectively then you can take e^J to find V.

But otherwise for your purposes just plot it as you would normally plot something

I am sorry, that the problem. I do not know how to plot that.
can you please show me that?

greg997 said:

R= 2 then I= 5.8
R= 4 then I=15.7

I am supposed to take natural logs of both sides and plot on graph. And from graph to find k.

So then I have
1.757=ln(V)+k0.693
2.753=ln(V)+k1.386
and so on
And I have no idea how to proceed and how to plot that.
Any help is welcome
You have the 2 following equations and need to find k
1.757=ln(V)+k0.693

2.753=ln(V)+k1.386
Subtract one equation from the other solve for k.

If that doesn't make sense to you, then solve one of the equations for ln(V), in terms of k, and substitute that result for ln(V) in the other equation. Solve that for k.

greg997 said:

R= 2 then I= 5.8
R= 4 then I=15.7

This is so unusual that I'm inclined to think you may have made a mistake.

Are you examining one individual resistor here?

R= 2 then I= 5.8
R= 4 then I=15.7
Are you sure this R shouldn't be a V?

In any case, do you know the value for k that you are supposed to arrive at?

This is full description. And do not know how to plot the values I have calculated. No, I don't know the value of k I am supposed to arrive at.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 440
greg997 said:
This is full description. And do not know how to plot the values I have calculated. No, I don't know the value of k I am supposed to arrive at.
attachment.php?attachmentid=42065&d=1324224229.jpg
Add two more rows to your table. One will contain ln(R) values and the other will contain ln(I).

Then graph those values, ln(R) on the vertical axis and ln(I) on the horizontal axis. So, this is like using ln(R) as y, and ln(I) as x.

1. What is non linear resistance?

Non linear resistance refers to the behavior of a material or electronic component that does not follow Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied.

2. How do you calculate non linear resistance?

Non linear resistance cannot be calculated using a simple equation like linear resistance. It requires a non linear model or an experimental measurement to determine the resistance at different voltage levels.

3. What is the significance of logarithmic scale in resistance measurements?

The use of logarithmic scale in resistance measurements allows for a better representation of the large range of values that can be seen in non linear resistance. It compresses the scale so that small changes in resistance can be easily visualized and compared.

4. How do you plot a graph for non linear resistance?

To plot a graph for non linear resistance, the voltage should be plotted on the x-axis and the current on the y-axis. The data points can then be connected with a smooth curve to show the non linear behavior of the resistance.

5. Why is it important to understand non linear resistance and graphing techniques?

Non linear resistance is a common phenomenon in many electronic components and materials. Understanding how to measure and graph it accurately is crucial for designing and troubleshooting circuits. It also allows for a better understanding of the behavior of materials under different conditions.