Nonlinear susceptibility and group reps

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of representation theory to determine the number of non-zero components in a tensor property, specifically the nonlinear optical susceptibility tensor in a crystal with a known point symmetry group. By finding the trivial irreps in the representation of the symmetry group, one can determine the number of non-zero components allowed in the tensor. This method is also mentioned in older books such as "Physical Properties of Crystals" by J.F. Nye and "Crystal Symmetry and Physical Properties" by S Bhagavantam.
Cryo
Gold Member
Dear All

short explanation:
I am trying to leverage my limited understanding of representation theory to explain (to myself) how many non-vanshing components of, for example, nonlinear optical susceptibility tensor ##\chi^{(2)}_{\alpha\beta\gamma}## can one have in a crystal with known point symmetry group ##G##. As I understand, all I need to do is to find how many trivial irreps occur in the represntation of the ##G## over any type of tensor space I am interested in. Every trivial irrep allows for one non-vanishing component. Am I correct?

long explanation:
We shall consider only local optical response (i.e. dipole approximation), so there is no spatial dispersion, thefore the only thing that matters is the point group symmetry of the crystal. Let's call it ##G##. I know what ##G## is. I can also find its character table, and I can calculate the actual matricies (##\mathbf{r}\left(a\right):\mathbb{R}^3\to\mathbb{R}^3, a \in G##) that give its representation over the space of 3D vectors.

Next we consider the rank-3 tensors (##\chi^{(2)} \in \mathbb{V}=\mathbb{R}^3\otimes\mathbb{R}^3\otimes\mathbb{R}^3##). The represntation of ##G## is easily obtained from the direct product of matricies for vectors, i.e. ##\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}(a\in G): \mathbb{V}\to\mathbb{V}##, such that ##\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}(a)=\mathbf{r}(a)\otimes\mathbf{r}(a)\otimes\mathbf{r}(a)##. Let's say there is a component of the susceptibility tensor that we observe in the experiment ##\chi^{(2)}\in\mathbb{V}##. Clearly, it cannot change under symmetry transformations of the crystal, so ##\chi^{(2)}=\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}(a)\cdot\chi^{(2)},\quad \forall a\in G##. But this means that ##\chi^{(2)}## lies in the sub-space of ##\mathbb{V}## over which the representation of ##G## is trivial. The character of trivial representation for each group element ##a\in G## is always ##\chi_{triv}\left(a\right)=1## (sorry for using ##\chi## to represent both the character and the suscetibility, both notations are ingrained).

It would seem therefore that the only way I can have non-zero entries in the susceptibility tensor is if the relevant representation contains trivial representation. This can be checked using traces and characters so

number of trivial irreps in ##\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}## is ##\left(\chi_{triv},\mbox{Tr}\left(\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}\right)\right)=\frac{1}{\#G}\sum_{a\in G} (1)\cdot\mbox{Tr}\left(\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}(a)\right)=\frac{1}{\#G}\sum_{a\in G} \left[\mbox{Tr}\left(\mathbf{r}\left(a\right)\right)\right]^3##

and this is the number of non-zero nonlinear scusceptibility components allowed in the crystal, given its point symmetry. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cryo said:
Dear All

short explanation:
I am trying to leverage my limited understanding of representation theory to explain (to myself) how many non-vanshing components of, for example, nonlinear optical susceptibility tensor ##\chi^{(2)}_{\alpha\beta\gamma}## can one have in a crystal with known point symmetry group ##G##. As I understand, all I need to do is to find how many trivial irreps occur in the represntation of the ##G## over any type of tensor space I am interested in. Every trivial irrep allows for one non-vanishing component. Am I correct?

long explanation:
We shall consider only local optical response (i.e. dipole approximation), so there is no spatial dispersion, thefore the only thing that matters is the point group symmetry of the crystal. Let's call it ##G##. I know what ##G## is. I can also find its character table, and I can calculate the actual matricies (##\mathbf{r}\left(a\right):\mathbb{R}^3\to\mathbb{R}^3, a \in G##) that give its representation over the space of 3D vectors.

Next we consider the rank-3 tensors (##\chi^{(2)} \in \mathbb{V}=\mathbb{R}^3\otimes\mathbb{R}^3\otimes\mathbb{R}^3##). The represntation of ##G## is easily obtained from the direct product of matricies for vectors, i.e. ##\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}(a\in G): \mathbb{V}\to\mathbb{V}##, such that ##\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}(a)=\mathbf{r}(a)\otimes\mathbf{r}(a)\otimes\mathbf{r}(a)##. Let's say there is a component of the susceptibility tensor that we observe in the experiment ##\chi^{(2)}\in\mathbb{V}##. Clearly, it cannot change under symmetry transformations of the crystal, so ##\chi^{(2)}=\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}(a)\cdot\chi^{(2)},\quad \forall a\in G##. But this means that ##\chi^{(2)}## lies in the sub-space of ##\mathbb{V}## over which the representation of ##G## is trivial. The character of trivial representation for each group element ##a\in G## is always ##\chi_{triv}\left(a\right)=1## (sorry for using ##\chi## to represent both the character and the suscetibility, both notations are ingrained).

It would seem therefore that the only way I can have non-zero entries in the susceptibility tensor is if the relevant representation contains trivial representation.
This can be checked using traces and characters so

number of trivial irreps in ##\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}## is ##\left(\chi_{triv},\mbox{Tr}\left(\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}\right)\right)=\frac{1}{\#G}\sum_{a\in G} (1)\cdot\mbox{Tr}\left(\mathbf{r}_{\chi^{(2)}}(a)\right)=\frac{1}{\#G}\sum_{a\in G} \left[\mbox{Tr}\left(\mathbf{r}\left(a\right)\right)\right]^3##

and this is the number of non-zero nonlinear scusceptibility components allowed in the crystal, given its point symmetry. Is this correct?
I believe you are correct. If you want to know which particular elements of the tensor property (any rank) are non-zero, then you transform the tensor under each transformation belonging to the symmetry group. This is done in detail, for different tensor properties in the old book by J.F Nye, "Physical Properties of Crystals", Oxford Science Publications, originally published1957. If on the other hand, you need to know only the number of non-zero elements of the tensor, your procedure is correct. I refer you to "Crystal Symmetry and Physical Properties" by S Bhagavantam, Academic Press, 1966.

Likes Cryo
Chandra Prayaga said:
I believe you are correct. If you want to know which particular elements of the tensor property (any rank) are non-zero, then you transform the tensor under each transformation belonging to the symmetry group. This is done in detail, for different tensor properties in the old book by J.F Nye, "Physical Properties of Crystals", Oxford Science Publications, originally published1957. If on the other hand, you need to know only the number of non-zero elements of the tensor, your procedure is correct. I refer you to "Crystal Symmetry and Physical Properties" by S Bhagavantam, Academic Press, 1966.

Thanks for the literature! I will check this out.

What is nonlinear susceptibility and how is it related to group representations?

Nonlinear susceptibility is a measure of how a material responds to an external electric field. It is directly related to the group representations of the material, which describe the symmetry properties of its crystal structure.

What is the physical significance of nonlinear susceptibility?

Nonlinear susceptibility is important because it allows us to understand and control the nonlinear optical properties of materials. These properties, such as frequency conversion and optical switching, have significant technological applications in areas such as telecommunications and laser technology.

How is nonlinear susceptibility experimentally measured?

Nonlinear susceptibility can be measured through various techniques such as second harmonic generation, third harmonic generation, and four-wave mixing. These methods involve applying an external electric field to the material and measuring the resulting nonlinear optical response.

Can nonlinear susceptibility be engineered or manipulated?

Yes, the nonlinear susceptibility of a material can be engineered by altering its crystal structure or by incorporating dopants. This allows for the design and development of materials with specific nonlinear optical properties for various applications.

What is the importance of considering group representations in the study of nonlinear susceptibility?

Group representations are essential for understanding the symmetry properties of a material, which directly influence its nonlinear susceptibility. By considering group representations, we can predict and control the nonlinear optical response of a material, making it a crucial aspect of its study.