Normal modes of a system of springs

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
TheGreatEscapegoat
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
I'm looking at what should be just a simple spring system where four identical springs are holding up a square, load-bearing pallet plate in a warehouse. Now, someone says the equation of motion for the vertical normal mode of vibration is simply d2z/dt2 = -4(k/m)z.
Right away however, I see no gravity in this equation, I think it should be d2z/dt2 = -4(k/m)z + g. Which one is right?

Also where is the LaTex editor here?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on where you want z=0 to be. At the point of zero spring tension? You need your equation. At the point of equilibrium? You need the former equation.
TheGreatEscapegoat said:
Also where is the LaTex editor here?
Just put it in double $ or double # (inline).
##\int x^2 dx#[/color]# -> ##\int x^2 dx##