Norton theorem,max. power transfer

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the maximum power transfer to a given load, specifically with a load impedance of (20+30j). The question is raised about the need for the load impedance if it is going to be replaced with the complex conjugate. The person mentions attempting to find the answer using two different methods, with the second method giving the correct answer. The first method is unfamiliar to them.
go2255

Homework Statement

How should I calculate the max. power transfer to Xload?
The (20+30j) of Xload,it is not necessary.

Homework Equations

I try to find the answer,but I got two answers by different method.

The Attempt at a Solution

attachment.php?attachmentid=67357&stc=1&d=1394190548.jpg

Attachments

• 20140307_185907.jpg
    20140307_185907.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question: Why does your diagram bother to specify a load impedance (20 + 30j) if it's just going to be replaced with the complex conjugate of the Norton (or Thevenin) impedance? Are you sure that the problem is asking for this rather than, say, the peak instantaneous power delivered to the given load?

For what you've shown, your "second method" gives a correct answer. I'm not sure what the first method is all about; I don't recall seeing it before.

Related to Norton theorem,max. power transfer

1. What is Norton's theorem?

Norton's theorem is a method used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits into an equivalent circuit with a single current source and a parallel resistance. This allows for easier analysis of the circuit and calculation of the maximum power transfer.

2. How is Norton's theorem different from Thevenin's theorem?

While Thevenin's theorem uses a voltage source and series resistance to simplify circuits, Norton's theorem uses a current source and parallel resistance. Both methods can be used to find the maximum power transfer in a circuit, but the calculations and resulting equivalent circuits will be different.

3. How do you calculate the maximum power transfer using Norton's theorem?

The maximum power transfer using Norton's theorem can be calculated by finding the equivalent resistance of the circuit and using Ohm's law (P = I²R) to determine the current flowing through the circuit. This current can then be used to calculate the maximum power transfer (P = I²R) at the load resistance.

4. Can Norton's theorem be used for all types of circuits?

Yes, Norton's theorem can be used for any linear circuit, including AC and DC circuits. However, it is important to note that this method is only valid for circuits with resistive loads.

5. Is Norton's theorem used in practical applications?

Yes, Norton's theorem is commonly used in engineering and electronics to simplify complex circuits and optimize power transfer. It is particularly useful in designing power supplies and amplifiers.