Norton's Theorem: Solving Current Across Terminals a-b

• Thread starter DEU.Osterhagen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: Say you have a simple circuit with an independent voltage source in series with a resistance. You want to find the Norton equivalent and you're trying to figure out the polarity of the current source. What do you do?
DEU.Osterhagen

Homework Statement

Obtain the norton equivalent of the circuit on terminals a-b. use the result to find the current i.
see attached image.

Homework Equations

1.Shorting the terminal when finding norton
2. Open current source and short voltage source when finding norton resistance

The Attempt at a Solution

By 2. We obtain
Rn = 6+4=10.

When Terminals a and b are short circuited we find current across it using nodal analysis
2+((12-v)/6)=v/4
v=9.6V

So that
In= (12-9.6)/6 =0.4A (current source facing upward)

This is the part where i am confused.
So connecting back the original components across terminal a-b (5 ohm and 4A in parallel) to the norton equivalent.
By current division We obtain

i = (10/(10+5))(4A + 0.4A) = 2.93A

The real answer is 2.4A , it's kinda odd because 0.4A norton current source is facing downward with this answer.

Edit. Pls move this to introductory physics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The short-circuit current flows downward if the source current points upward. You assumed the short-circuit current flowing upward, that means the Norton-current pointing downward, that is negative.

ehild

Attachments

• nortoncurrent.jpg
    nortoncurrent.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 427
Hi, and welcome to the forums.

So that
In= (12-9.6)/6 =0.4A (current source facing upward)
Norton's Theorem does not involve Iin! His formula requires Iout.

Last edited:
I can see it now.

I've read the book and realized that whenever the short circuit current face upward, then the norton current which represent the rest of the circuit will face downward and vice versa.

In this case, i made the short circuit current point upward.
Then the norton current source should point downward.

Well, okay. :wink: But aren't you going to be tripped up if ever the source is drawn horizontally?

Related to Norton's Theorem: Solving Current Across Terminals a-b

What is Norton's Theorem?

Norton's Theorem is a fundamental concept in electrical circuit analysis that states that any linear electrical network can be represented by an equivalent current source and a parallel resistance.

What is the purpose of Norton's Theorem?

The purpose of Norton's Theorem is to simplify complex circuits into simpler and more manageable equivalent circuits, making it easier to analyze and solve for current and voltage values.

How is Norton's Theorem used to solve for current across terminals a-b?

To solve for current across terminals a-b using Norton's Theorem, the equivalent current source and parallel resistance of the circuit are calculated. Then, the current across terminals a-b can be found by using Ohm's Law, I = V/R, where V is the voltage across the terminals and R is the equivalent resistance.

What are the assumptions made in Norton's Theorem?

The assumptions made in Norton's Theorem are that the circuit is linear, meaning that the components follow Ohm's Law, and that there are no dependent sources in the circuit.

What are the limitations of Norton's Theorem?

The limitations of Norton's Theorem include the fact that it can only be applied to linear circuits, and it is only accurate for a specific set of conditions, such as a specific load or frequency. Additionally, it does not take into account the effects of temperature and other nonlinear components in the circuit.