1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not really a homework question, but

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need some more random, cool math tricks to bust out when I want to sound smart. So teach me how to do the following in the fanciest way possible.

Prove πe>eπ (knowing that π > e)

∫e-x2dx on interval (-∞,∞)

Prove 0!=1.

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

I remember being shown each of these a while ago, but I've now forgotten how to do them.

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

Cyosis

Homework Helper

This one will make you sound smart alright.

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    Let me try this.

π > e
    ---> ln(π) > ln(e)
    ----> ln(π) > 1
    ----> eln(π) > e1
    ----> π > e, as required.

Now do I sound smart? Did I make any mistakes?

5. May 24, 2010 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I'm afraid this didn't make you sound smart. While there is nothing wrong with what you did, there is no connection with the original problem and it doesn't prove anything.

6. May 24, 2010 #5
    I used to know a fancy way to prove [sin(x)]'=cos(x). I learned it from a Learning Company video. You draw a right triangle with one angle x, and then look at the change in the opposite side as x is increased. Can't remember how to do that either.

7. May 24, 2010 #6
    If you guys are not going to answer my question, at least show me something fancy.

8. May 24, 2010 #7

Cyosis

Homework Helper

What is your point with this post Jamin2112, it doesn't really belong in this section of the forum.

Secondly my post #2 was sarcastic. I'll let you figure out why for a bit.

9. May 24, 2010 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Here you are starting by assuming that π > e, from which you conclude that π > e. Nothing earth-shattering there.

The integral you showed is usually done as a polar iterated integral, which is much easier than the corresponding Cartesian iterated integral.

For the third, 0! is defined to be 1. Definitions are never proved.

10. May 24, 2010 #9

Cyosis

Homework Helper

I suppose we could use the gamma function to show 0!=1, without defining it.

11. May 24, 2010 #10
    Jamin2112, if you just want something with which to impress your friends, you might as well memorize http://www.1729.com/blog/CubeRoots.html [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. May 24, 2010 #11
    Ha-ha! I totally forgot what I was trying to do halfway through the probel!

13. May 24, 2010 #12

Nah. I want something cooler. You know, something like approximating pi by dropping a pencil on the table and measuring the angle or something. Imagine how cool I'll be when I bring these things up at parties.

I'm waiting ........

14. May 24, 2010 #13
    Why don't you memorise pi to 100 digits...

15. May 24, 2010 #14
    That takes no mathematical reasoning skills.

16. May 24, 2010 #15
    Neither does remebering an arbitrary proof.

17. May 25, 2010 #16

Cyosis

Homework Helper

What takes even less mathematical reasoning skills is proving [itex]\pi^e>e^\pi[/itex] since it's false, as hinted multiple times.

18. May 25, 2010 #17
    Hello,

Using double integrals and formulas for change of variables, you can show that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-u^2/2} du=\sqrt{2\pi}.[/tex]

This is a classic, useful result and you should know it by heart.
    Now, setting [tex]x=u/\sqrt{2}[/tex], you get [tex]x^2=u^2/2[/tex] and [tex]du=\sqrt{2}\,dx[/tex], from which

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-x^2} \sqrt{2}\,dx=\sqrt{2\pi}.[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}e^{-x^2} dx=\frac{\sqrt{2\pi}}{\sqrt{2}}=\sqrt{\pi}.[/tex]

I was rather sleepy when I wrote this, so please correct me if you find any mistakes. And Jamin2112, why are you so interested in these things? Do you study math, statistics, physics, engineering or computing in college? Are you in high school? Do you just want to impress your friends, because, if they don't study the kind of stuff I mentioned in college, far from amusing them, you will scare them!
    Qualitative information usually works better in a talk than deriving results. Instead of writing out the equations I showed you, you could tell them that this integral is of central importance in statistics and that it is mathematically interesting, too, since it can't be evaluated in a closed form in compact intervals, but can be shown to have the value [tex]\sqrt{\pi}[/tex] when evaluated on the whole real line.
    I hope that helps.

19. May 25, 2010 #18

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Oh, I'm imagining something alright.

20. May 25, 2010 #19
    What parties..?..(elaborate plz.)
    answer any 1 simple question,
    Q.what is the probability that on choosing any two numbers the two are relatively prime(no common factor)
    Q.In an automotive factory, the vehicles are numbered serially, you a common person on an average spot the vehicle with serial number 60, give me the most reasonable guess for the number of vehicles produced, with rigorous proof.
    ..if you can explain me the answer to this, i'll show u stuff in math you wouldn't have seen in a lifetime+ show you the fancy ways to solve your given problems, ;)..i mean it.
    by your curiosity i expect answers..:D

this is an open question mail solutions to me, pointless for those who know but all the more fun :P

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  21. May 25, 2010 #20
    Parties and math (however interesting) don't go together very well. You may have more success with a physics demonstration, which you can base on math. E.g. with a deck of cards there are some interesing demonstrations possible, http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.0093" [Broken]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook