NPN Transistor: Collector Voltage Below Emitter Voltage?

• Thread starter scaredcrow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transistor
In summary: A NPN transistor can work in reverse bias mode if you avoid exceeding the breakdown voltage - around 0.7 volts for silicon. But doing so will lower transistor performance.
scaredcrow
What happens if a NPN transistor's collector voltage is below its emitter voltage?

Say we have a NPN transistor, and the base voltage is at 5V, the emitter voltage is 2V, and the collector voltage is at ground. Will current flow from the emitter to the collector, or is there an internal diode that blocks this? I ask because I never see this case in my book.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think that's because they are not designed to operate that way. You would, effectively have connected the transistor the 'wrong way up' and its e would be its c and its c would be its e, with an inappropriate be junction width.

I have never heard of 3 volts between the base and emitter of a transistor unless the transistor is defective.

The construction of a transistor is such that there is the equivalent of a forward biased diode between the base and the emitter so it would be very difficult to get more than a volt between base and emitter without destroying the transistor.

There also is the equivalent a diode between base and collector. This diode is reversed biased under normal operation. if you were to bring the collector much more than about a 0.6 volts below the base voltage, you would probably destroy the transistor.

scaredcrow said:
What happens if a NPN transistor's collector voltage is below its emitter voltage?

Say we have a NPN transistor, and the base voltage is at 5V, the emitter voltage is 2V, and the collector voltage is at ground. Will current flow from the emitter to the collector, or is there an internal diode that blocks this? I ask because I never see this case in my book.
In principle, it can be operated that way, but it would have a really low hfe. They are made to optimize their operation in only one configuration.

scaredcrow said:

There's absolutely no reason you couldn't. The only thing that matters is the Vbe and Vbe relative voltages. As long as Vbe>0 and Vbc<0, then you are operation in linear mode and it works like a linear amplifier.

In your case, Vb-Ve = Vbe = 3V, and Vb-Vc = Vbc = -5V, ergo it's in linear. The reality though is that the Vbe voltage is set to 0.7V (in silicon) and the difference in voltage (5V - 0.7V) will be dropped across the Thevenin equivalent voltage of the base bias circuit. If it's a power supply then inside the power supply itself.

The absolute values of voltage never matter in any circuit - it's all only about relative voltages between nodes and across branches.

scaredcrow said:

You'll never get 5V on the base and 2V on emitter without burning the transistor! Let say if you forward bias the collector by about 0.7V and reverse biased the emitter, I think you'll make the NPN works somewhat like a normal NPN, but the beta is going to be low and not a good transistor. Also, the breakdown voltage of emitter base junction is quite low. We actually use the reverse biased B B junction as zener diode in integrated circuit design. NPN means exactly this...NPN and it should work as transistor if you forward-reverse biased it and keep the B E reverse voltage low enough to prevent it from becoming a zener diode. But the structure of the transistor is designed to work in the normal mode, and it won't be reliable and have good performance if you reverse it.

That's my understanding.

What is an NPN transistor?

An NPN transistor is a type of bipolar junction transistor (BJT) that consists of three layers of doped semiconductor materials. The three layers are the collector, base, and emitter, with the base layer being the thinnest and the collector and emitter layers being heavily doped. NPN transistors are commonly used in electronic circuits as amplifiers or switches.

How does an NPN transistor work?

An NPN transistor works by controlling the flow of electrons from the emitter to the collector, which is determined by the amount of current flowing into the base. When a small current is applied to the base, it allows a larger current to flow from the emitter to the collector, thus amplifying the signal.

What is the significance of the collector voltage being below the emitter voltage?

In an NPN transistor, the collector voltage must be lower than the emitter voltage for the transistor to operate properly. This is because the collector base junction acts as a reverse-biased diode, and the collector voltage must be lower than the emitter voltage for the diode to be biased correctly. If the collector voltage is higher than the emitter voltage, the transistor will not work as an amplifier or switch.

What happens if the collector voltage is higher than the emitter voltage?

If the collector voltage is higher than the emitter voltage, the collector base junction will become forward-biased, and a large current will flow through the transistor, potentially damaging it. This is known as a "breakdown" condition and should be avoided in NPN transistors.

What are some common applications of NPN transistors?

NPN transistors are commonly used in electronic circuits as amplifiers, switches, and digital logic gates. They are also used in audio amplifiers, power supplies, and voltage regulators. NPN transistors are an essential component in many electronic devices, including computers, smartphones, and televisions.