Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear energy: for or against?

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    What are your thoughts on nuclear energy ? Are you for it or against?

In my opinion the only cons are that fact that they cost large amounts to build/maintain, as well as they develop radioactive waste. But the waste can be dealt with, thing plants can power entire cities while a regular power plant is only local energy. Should we build more nuclear plants or no? Give me your thoughts!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I agree!

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    Aside from the obvious inherent danger (see: every nuclear disaster ever), and thw radioactive waste (that can be dealt with) nuclear energy is one of the safest*, and easily (used loosely) harnessed forms of energy. I mean, if the waste (spent fuel rods, condensed cooling water, etc.) is disposed of properly, then there's virtually no pollution. I'm perfectly fine living near (about 20 miles) from the Turkey Point Nuclear Power Station.

IOW, I'm all for it.

5. Jun 13, 2013 #4
    Why should we switch from our regular sources to nuclear?

6. Jun 13, 2013 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It is plentiful, domestic, clean and cheaper than alternatives with similar attributes.

7. Jun 13, 2013 #6
    Indeed. Besides, every other attempt to change away from it has been a dismal failure resulting in more fossil fuels being used

8. Jun 13, 2013 #7

wukunlin

Gold Member

imo risks of nuclear energy has been blown way out of proportion by the media and the so-called "environmentalists"

9. Jul 6, 2013 #8

BruceW

Homework Helper

it's not like we have a choice about building nuclear power stations, since fossil fuels are running out and 'renewable energy' is not nearly enough to supply our energy needs. The new nuclear power stations should be built right, so if something does go wrong, the power station 'melts down' (or whatever the term is) in a safe way, such that the surrounding area is not at risk.

I would really like to see nuclear fusion provide our energy, but there is not quite the technology yet. Fusion would not need uranium fuel (like fission does). Also, fusion would not create nuclear waste. Also, I would like to see other 'renewable sources' supply our energy, maybe this is possible in the distant future, if we keep funding renewable energy projects, so that the technology progresses to something that can actually provide all our energy.

10. Jul 13, 2013 #9
    Yes it does, it just doesn't produce as much. Even so, the alleged nuclear waste problem is not technical (contrary to the Church of Gaia's claims) but rather it's a political problem.

11. Jul 13, 2013 #10

BruceW

Homework Helper

what's the waste? Helium? that's not really a problem right? we can just use it to make balloons and have a party :)

12. Jul 13, 2013 #11

Since it's in a nuclear reaction I'm pretty sure it's going to be radioactive for a while.

13. Jul 13, 2013 #12

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Fusion reactions that produce neutrons will necessarily result in activated materials, e.g., in the first wall and related structures. If there is a Li blanket, then tritium will be produced, which is fuel, but nevertheless radioactive. When parts of the first wall are removed - they will have to be sent somewhere while the radionuclides decay, or otherwise diposed as radioactive waste.

Some concepts have a fission blanket, so that certainly would produce fission products, aka nuclear waste.

14. Jul 13, 2013 #13

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To me we could use nuclear energy for a short time say 50 years then switch to some other source like fusion. It would be far cleaner than fossil fuels and it would provide vast amounts of energy. Its short life span would tend to avoid any long term risks.

15. Jul 14, 2013 #14

BruceW

Homework Helper

ah, right. the magnetic field can't contain stray neutrons. I guess fusion is not so great as I thought. still pretty cool, I think.

16. Jul 14, 2013 #15

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are some aneutronic reactions, e.g., d+3He or p+11B, but they are difficult from a pressure/temperature standpoint, and 3He is exceedingly rare and only available from decay of 3H or certain spallation reactions. Making fuel from nuclear spallation reactions is not practical or economical.

17. Jul 14, 2013 #16

It is, but not the reasons you first thought. Even though we have thousands of years of fissionables, we have even more fusionables. That's the real reason why the environmentalists opposed fission and will also try to scare people about fusion: Abundant, inexpensive energy.

18. Jul 14, 2013 #17

BruceW

Homework Helper

that's why they oppose fission and fusion?!? You mean that they are worried their funding will be given to nuclear power projects instead?

19. Jul 14, 2013 #18
    There is a certain influential bunch whose dream world has 95% of the current population somehow disappearing, with the remainder living kind of like the Amish but with the Internet. Oh , and they are in charge and get to decide who survived and who gets shunned.

20. Jul 14, 2013 #19

BruceW

Homework Helper

who is this bunch? are you yanking my chain? :)

21. Jul 14, 2013 #20
    Just google "environmentalist population". Start with Paul ehrlich. There's plenty more after him.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook