1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear engineering

1. Jul 16, 2010 #1
    Hi,

As I've posted in a few other topics I'm choosing my masters for next year. I'm choosing between nuclear physics and biophysics.

What are the chances of finding a PhD or job in nuclear engineering with a nuclear physics degree? Have any of you done so?

Kind regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2
    *Bump*

4. Jul 19, 2010 #3
    I'm an undergrad nuclear engineering student and I can say that the job prospects for me are good. However I've talked to my advisor before and he told me that people with PhDs in physic have come to the department to get a nuclear engineering degree because they where unable to find a job.

5. Jul 23, 2010 #4
    If I do a master in nuclear physics, I can get a master-after-master in nuclear engineering in one year. Will I have any benefit of this? I will have a master in nuclear engineering but I won't be a real engineer, because of my limited engineering background...

http://onderwijsaanbod.kuleuven.be/opleidingen/e/SC_51016778.htm

6. Jul 23, 2010 #5
    I think you're suppose to take the prereqs for the masters program in Nuclear Engineering before you can take the masters level courses.

7. Jul 25, 2010 #6
    Yes, but in 30credits you can't change a physicist into an engineer... The admission requirements say 25 to 30 credits.

8. Jun 24, 2011 #7
    The programdirector isn't responding to my e-mails and after my exams I plan to go to his office. But for the moment do any of you have an idea what might be typical courses that might come up in those 30 credits? My first thought is systemtheory, Control theory, material science, ...

Also, does anybody know a good postgraduate (after having done my masters) programme on nuclear fusion in Europe?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  9. Jun 24, 2011 #8
    Heres the thing, most nuclear engineering undergraduate degrees and master degrees aren't focused at Nuclear Fusion.

You will see this as your basic masters:

Nuclear Reactor Theory
    Nuclear Dynamics and Controls (Basically the systems that control a reactor or I&C)
    Nuclear Fuel Cycle (If you're focused at this)
    Thermal Hydraulics
    -Heat Transfer
    -Two Phase Flows
    Radiation Protection
    Material Science

This is primarily if you're focusing on reactors or field whether it's Fusion or Fission.

10. Jun 24, 2011 #9
    The idea is that the programme mentioned in previous posts is a postgraduate programme for engineers. I will have a master of physics before starting this, but for us there is supposed to be a programme of around 30 credits to get us up to speed. Those 30 credits aren't listed and said to be applicant specific. I would like to have an idea which courses might have to be taken as prerequisites, so I can take them already in my master of physics.

Fusion is indeed not covered in the postgraduate nuclear engineering programme at my university, so I would like to know what universities in Europe do offer such postgraduate programmes.

The plan is not to do a complete undergrad/grad programme in nuclear or fusion engineering, because I will already have my master next year (or maybe the year after).

Also I'm from Europe and on a scholarship and the States is probably not an option due to a rather poor application. Grades aren't very good but sufficient. Letters of recommendation shouldn't be a problem, I think.

11. Jun 24, 2011 #10
    Those topics should be covered in any masters or PhD program even for students with an undergraduate in Nuclear Engineering.

12. Jun 24, 2011 #11
    Those topics are covered in the postgraduate programme. There is no bachelor/master programme in nuclear engineering at my university, so the engineers will have no knowledge of any of the topics you just mentioned, besides Thermal Hydraulics, Heat Transfer, Material Science and depending on what speciality they chose Two Phase Flows. Maybe reread my previous post, because you're missing what I'm trying to ask.

The programme I'm talking about is here: http://onderwijsaanbod.kuleuven.be/opleidingen/e/SC_51016778.htm

13. Jun 24, 2011 #12
    That's odd.

14. Jun 24, 2011 #13
    Why is that odd? Do you get the situation this time? If not I will try to change the explanation.

15. Jun 24, 2011 #14
    Sorry I was reading it wrong. By postgraduate do you still mean a masters degree after getting an initial one in Physics?

16. Jun 24, 2011 #15
    I mean a one-year masters degree like the programme from my initial link (which is a programme of the university where I'm doing my master in Physics).

So I will have a master degree in nuclear physics and I'm thinking of going into nuclear engineering. I want some options in fusion and fission that doesn't include having to take a whole bachelor/master (undergrad/grad) in nuclear engineering.

17. Jun 24, 2011 #16
    You really shouldn't have an issue just getting a nuclear engineering masters after a terminal masters in physics. You will probably only have to make up two or three courses from undergraduate.

18. Jun 24, 2011 #17
    And what would those courses be? The courses you mentioned earlier like:
    Thermal Hydraulics
    Heat Transfer (I've only had one course in themodynamics)
    Two Phase Flows
    Material Science

19. Jun 24, 2011 #18
    I have no idea about European programs but in the states it's usually only these courses:

Nuclear Reactor Theory (Undergraduate)
    Thermal Science (If lacking in Thermal Physics and covers the basics of Heat Transfer and Thermal Hydraulics)
    Nuclear Physics

This is after you have entered the program. If you want to get some courses out of the way for masters before you enter try these courses. Such as:

Heat Transfer (Mechanical Engineering)
    Fluid Dynamics (Mechanical Engineering)
    Nuclear Physics
    Material Science (If the program requires as a base requirement, again this depends on your thesis adviser)

20. Jun 24, 2011 #19
    Well since I'm doing a nuclear physics degree, I think they will let me skip the nuclear physics course. :p

21. Jun 24, 2011 #20
    I would hope so! You shouldn't have much to worry about it. I image going from Nuclear Physics masters to Nuclear Engineering would be a easy transition.

Also, if you are interested in going the PhD route consider some college in the States. It's very possible you'll get payed as a research assistant or teaching assistant at most of the schools that offer it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook