Nuclear Engineering: PhD & Job Prospects

In summary, the nuclear engineering program at my university does not have a postgraduate programme focused on nuclear fusion. However, if you have a master of physics, you can still pursue a postgraduate programme in nuclear engineering. This will give you knowledge of the basics of nuclear reactor theory, controls, fuel cycle, and radiation protection.
eXorikos
Hi,

As I've posted in a few other topics I'm choosing my masters for next year. I'm choosing between nuclear physics and biophysics.

What are the chances of finding a PhD or job in nuclear engineering with a nuclear physics degree? Have any of you done so?

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
*Bump*

I'm an undergrad nuclear engineering student and I can say that the job prospects for me are good. However I've talked to my advisor before and he told me that people with PhDs in physics have come to the department to get a nuclear engineering degree because they where unable to find a job.

If I do a master in nuclear physics, I can get a master-after-master in nuclear engineering in one year. Will I have any benefit of this? I will have a master in nuclear engineering but I won't be a real engineer, because of my limited engineering background...

http://onderwijsaanbod.kuleuven.be/opleidingen/e/SC_51016778.htm

I think you're suppose to take the prereqs for the masters program in Nuclear Engineering before you can take the masters level courses.

Yes, but in 30credits you can't change a physicist into an engineer... The admission requirements say 25 to 30 credits.

The programdirector isn't responding to my e-mails and after my exams I plan to go to his office. But for the moment do any of you have an idea what might be typical courses that might come up in those 30 credits? My first thought is systemtheory, Control theory, material science, ...Also, does anybody know a good postgraduate (after having done my masters) programme on nuclear fusion in Europe?

Last edited:
Heres the thing, most nuclear engineering undergraduate degrees and master degrees aren't focused at Nuclear Fusion.

You will see this as your basic masters:

Nuclear Reactor Theory
Nuclear Dynamics and Controls (Basically the systems that control a reactor or I&C)
Nuclear Fuel Cycle (If you're focused at this)
Thermal Hydraulics
-Heat Transfer
-Two Phase Flows
Radiation Protection
Material Science

This is primarily if you're focusing on reactors or field whether it's Fusion or Fission.

crazyisraelie said:
Heres the thing, most nuclear engineering undergraduate degrees and master degrees aren't focused at Nuclear Fusion.

You will see this as your basic masters:

Nuclear Reactor Theory
Nuclear Dynamics and Controls (Basically the systems that control a reactor or I&C)
Nuclear Fuel Cycle (If you're focused at this)
Thermal Hydraulics
-Heat Transfer
-Two Phase Flows
Radiation Protection
Material Science

This is primarily if you're focusing on reactors or field whether it's Fusion or Fission.

The idea is that the programme mentioned in previous posts is a postgraduate programme for engineers. I will have a master of physics before starting this, but for us there is supposed to be a programme of around 30 credits to get us up to speed. Those 30 credits aren't listed and said to be applicant specific. I would like to have an idea which courses might have to be taken as prerequisites, so I can take them already in my master of physics.

Fusion is indeed not covered in the postgraduate nuclear engineering programme at my university, so I would like to know what universities in Europe do offer such postgraduate programmes.

The plan is not to do a complete undergrad/grad programme in nuclear or fusion engineering, because I will already have my master next year (or maybe the year after).

Also I'm from Europe and on a scholarship and the States is probably not an option due to a rather poor application. Grades aren't very good but sufficient. Letters of recommendation shouldn't be a problem, I think.

eXorikos said:
The idea is that the programme mentioned in previous posts is a postgraduate programme for engineers. I will have a master of physics before starting this, but for us there is supposed to be a programme of around 30 credits to get us up to speed. Those 30 credits aren't listed and said to be applicant specific. I would like to have an idea which courses might have to be taken as prerequisites, so I can take them already in my master of physics.

Fusion is indeed not covered in the postgraduate nuclear engineering programme at my university, so I would like to know what universities in Europe do offer such postgraduate programmes.

The plan is not to do a complete undergrad/grad programme in nuclear or fusion engineering, because I will already have my master next year (or maybe the year after).

Also I'm from Europe and on a scholarship and the States is probably not an option due to a rather poor application. Grades aren't very good but sufficient. Letters of recommendation shouldn't be a problem, I think.

Those topics should be covered in any masters or PhD program even for students with an undergraduate in Nuclear Engineering.

crazyisraelie said:
Those topics should be covered in any masters or PhD program even for students with an undergraduate in Nuclear Engineering.

Those topics are covered in the postgraduate programme. There is no bachelor/master programme in nuclear engineering at my university, so the engineers will have no knowledge of any of the topics you just mentioned, besides Thermal Hydraulics, Heat Transfer, Material Science and depending on what speciality they chose Two Phase Flows. Maybe reread my previous post, because you're missing what I'm trying to ask.

The programme I'm talking about is here: http://onderwijsaanbod.kuleuven.be/opleidingen/e/SC_51016778.htm

eXorikos said:
Those topics are covered in the postgraduate programme. There is no bachelor/master programme in nuclear engineering at my university, so the engineers will have no knowledge of any of the topics you just mentioned, besides Thermal Hydraulics, Heat Transfer, Material Science and depending on what speciality they chose Two Phase Flows. Maybe reread my previous post, because you're missing what I'm trying to ask.

That's odd.

Why is that odd? Do you get the situation this time? If not I will try to change the explanation.

eXorikos said:
Why is that odd? Do you get the situation this time? If not I will try to change the explanation.

Sorry I was reading it wrong. By postgraduate do you still mean a masters degree after getting an initial one in Physics?

crazyisraelie said:
Sorry I was reading it wrong. By postgraduate do you still mean a masters degree after getting an initial one in Physics?

I mean a one-year masters degree like the programme from my initial link (which is a programme of the university where I'm doing my master in Physics).

So I will have a master degree in nuclear physics and I'm thinking of going into nuclear engineering. I want some options in fusion and fission that doesn't include having to take a whole bachelor/master (undergrad/grad) in nuclear engineering.

eXorikos said:
I mean a one-year masters degree like the programme from my initial link (which is a programme of the university where I'm doing my master in Physics).

So I will have a master degree in nuclear physics and I'm thinking of going into nuclear engineering. I want some options in fusion and fission that doesn't include having to take a whole bachelor/master (undergrad/grad) in nuclear engineering.

You really shouldn't have an issue just getting a nuclear engineering masters after a terminal masters in physics. You will probably only have to make up two or three courses from undergraduate.

And what would those courses be? The courses you mentioned earlier like:
Thermal Hydraulics
Heat Transfer (I've only had one course in themodynamics)
Two Phase Flows
Material Science

eXorikos said:
And what would those courses be? The courses you mentioned earlier like:
Thermal Hydraulics
Heat Transfer (I've only had one course in themodynamics)
Two Phase Flows
Material Science

I have no idea about European programs but in the states it's usually only these courses:

Nuclear Reactor Theory (Undergraduate)
Thermal Science (If lacking in Thermal Physics and covers the basics of Heat Transfer and Thermal Hydraulics)
Nuclear Physics

This is after you have entered the program. If you want to get some courses out of the way for masters before you enter try these courses. Such as:

Heat Transfer (Mechanical Engineering)
Fluid Dynamics (Mechanical Engineering)
Nuclear Physics
Material Science (If the program requires as a base requirement, again this depends on your thesis adviser)

Well since I'm doing a nuclear physics degree, I think they will let me skip the nuclear physics course. :p

eXorikos said:
Well since I'm doing a nuclear physics degree, I think they will let me skip the nuclear physics course. :p

I would hope so! You shouldn't have much to worry about it. I image going from Nuclear Physics masters to Nuclear Engineering would be a easy transition.

Also, if you are interested in going the PhD route consider some college in the States. It's very possible you'll get payed as a research assistant or teaching assistant at most of the schools that offer it.

I'm not sure I would qualify as a PhD candidate. As said earlier my grades aren't that awesome, my research projects are very good though. Do I need to take some test before applying for a PhD position is the US if I have already completed my master of physics? I heard from a postDoc that at the end of his grad he had to take some big exam and if he failed he would have gotten his master degree and he passed so he could do a PhD.

Most important what are good universities to apply? Not the top universities, because I will never get into those. As a foreigner I will be competing with the rest of the world for a handful of positions...

eXorikos, What are you interested in the fields of Nuclear Engineering?

Also, please get away from the idea that Nuclear Engineering is the same as Physics in terms of selectivity. It's very possible to get into a good university of your subinterest with previous research and publications under your belt.

What is your GPA (if on a scale of 4.0)? If you don't want to say publicly you can pm me.

Some good programs:
University of Illinois
Texas A&M
Georgia Tech
Some impossible programs to get into:
MIT
Cal Berkeley

I'm just drawn by the idea of nuclear reactors and energy. This also feels like a good career where I will use nuclear physics. I will probably try applying for a PhD in nuclear physics and keep nuclear engineering as a back-up. But as said, I want to make sure that I can get into a decent programme and graduate fully (with programme for prerequisites) in maximum two years.

I have no idea how to convert my scores into GPA scale...

eXorikos said:
I'm just drawn by the idea of nuclear reactors and energy. This also feels like a good career where I will use nuclear physics. I will probably try applying for a PhD in nuclear physics and keep nuclear engineering as a back-up. But as said, I want to make sure that I can get into a decent programme and graduate fully (with programme for prerequisites) in maximum two years.

I have no idea how to convert my scores into GPA scale...

I would suggest you contact a few graduate programs in the Europe or the States about your interest. I have contacted several already about various questions and they are extremely responsive to questions. I'd recommend the "undergraduate or graduate advisors" because they are more likely to respond vs. professors.

Some good European programmes?

eXorikos said:
Some good European programmes?

I have heard the French programs are pretty good. I can't site any specifically. You might try asking Astronic

crazyisraelie said:
You really shouldn't have an issue just getting a nuclear engineering masters after a terminal masters in physics. You will probably only have to make up two or three courses from undergraduate.

But I have credits left for taking those courses in my masters. That's why I'm asking which courses.

eXorikos said:
But I have credits left for taking those courses in my masters. That's why I'm asking which courses.

The issue is that you can't take those courses if your university lacks a proper program to offer them.

crazyisraelie said:
The issue is that you can't take those courses if your university lacks a proper program to offer them.

I'm talking about the engineering courses and those are offered plenty. I know Thermal Hydraulics, Heat Transfer, Two Phase Flows and Material Science are given in the engineering department. I might consider taking one of those.

All the courses you named are given at my uni, but the rest of them is included in de master-after-master programme nuclear engineering.

I score average about 13/20 on my exams, so according to http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/Belgium that gives me a GPA of only 2.0. A 13.6/20 average would make me eligible for a PhD at my department (if I find a promotor).

If I fail to get at least a 3.0 GPA it's probably not a good idea to go for a university in the US, because the decent ones probably won't let me in? Anyway I find plenty of programs on fission, but not for fusion so suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
You'll notice that calculator is very crude. Having experienced the Belgian system at your university (well, one semester only, so take it for what it's worth), along with another European and now Canadian system, I'd say 13/20 is a bit harder to get than a C average (i.e. 2.0). It's still not the greatest grade, unforunately, so I can't really say how competitive it makes you.

Again, this is all anecdotal, I just know the Belgian system (same goes for the French one, from what I hear) is tougher on the grades than the Canadian/US system. You probably know of no one that has a 20/20 or even a 19/20 average, while there's always people at universities with 4.0 GPAs. The material can be equally as tough elsewhere, but the grades just seem to be skewed towards the low end in Belgium.

Ryker said:
You'll notice that calculator is very crude. Having experienced the Belgian system at your university (well, one semester only, so take it for what it's worth), along with another European and now Canadian system, I'd say 13/20 is a bit harder to get than a C average (i.e. 2.0). It's still not the greatest grade, unforunately, so I can't really say how competitive it makes you.

Again, this is all anecdotal, I just know the Belgian system (same goes for the French one, from what I hear) is tougher on the grades than the Canadian/US system. You probably know of no one that has a 20/20 or even a 19/20 average, while there's always people at universities with 4.0 GPAs. The material can be equally as tough elsewhere, but the grades just seem to be skewed towards the low end in Belgium.

And probably the US universities will be aware of this situation? Do letters of recommendation really count or is there always a first selection on grades and afterwards they read the letters?

As for the grades, I know only one person who's had a 20/20 for an exam (he actually had almost every exam period multiple 20's). He graduated with I believe about a 19/20 average. Apart from that the most brilliant people I know have about 16/20 average.

eXorikos said:
And probably the US universities will be aware of this situation?
I have no idea. I imagine they are to an extent, but I'm pretty sure they aren't aware of all or even most of it. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they were only aware that the difference exists, and maybe compare your grades to those of previous successful applicants from Belgium. This is all a guess, but it doesn't seem unreasonable.

So if you're applying to US universities, you have the average itself going against you, since numerically speaking, it's low. I think you need to convince them that it's not because you're at the low end of a curve, but that the peak itself is skewed to the left. I did the same when applying to Master's programs in the UK, although even strictly from a numerical standpoint, my GPA wasn't bad by any means. This was in a different field, so I don't know how it would translate to Physics, but since we're talking about general knowledge of systems, I think it would quite well.
eXorikos said:
As for the grades, I know only one person who's had a 20/20 for an exam (he actually had almost every exam period multiple 20's). He graduated with I believe about a 19/20 average. Apart from that the most brilliant people I know have about 16/20 average.
Yeah, that's what I heard when I was in Belgium, as well.

I still haven't received a reply from the professor, but I found extra documentation myself. Apparently the courses are:
1. - Electrical engineering and energy, 6 ECTS
2. - Numerical analysis, 5 ECTS – not for master math
3. - System analysis and control theory, 6 ECTS
4. - Material science part 2, 6 ECTS
5. - Thermodynamics and turbomachines, 7 ECTS
6. - Heat transfer and fluidum mechanics, 7 ECTS
7. - Mechanics for engineers, 5 ECTS

As a physics student I don't see why I should take mechanics and numerical analysis though. These courses don't seem very exciting. The program itself still is very interesting though. It is a part of the European Nuclear Education Network.

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the application of nuclear energy in various industries, such as power generation, medicine, and research. It involves the study of nuclear reactions, radiation, and the design and operation of nuclear systems.

2. What is the difference between a PhD in nuclear engineering and a job in nuclear engineering?

A PhD in nuclear engineering is a research-based degree that focuses on advancing the knowledge and understanding of nuclear energy. It typically involves conducting original research and writing a dissertation. On the other hand, a job in nuclear engineering involves applying the knowledge and skills gained through a PhD program in a specific industry or field, such as power generation or nuclear waste management.

3. What are the job prospects for those with a PhD in nuclear engineering?

The job prospects for those with a PhD in nuclear engineering are generally good, as there is a growing demand for professionals with expertise in nuclear energy. Graduates can find employment in various industries, including power generation, research and development, and nuclear waste management.

4. What skills are required for a career in nuclear engineering?

Some of the key skills required for a career in nuclear engineering include a strong understanding of nuclear physics and engineering principles, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and proficiency in computer modeling and simulation. Additionally, good communication and teamwork skills are important for working in a multidisciplinary field.

5. What are some potential challenges facing the nuclear engineering industry?

Some potential challenges facing the nuclear engineering industry include public perception and safety concerns, as well as the proper management and disposal of nuclear waste. Additionally, as technology advances, there may be a need for continuous training and education to keep up with new developments in the field.