Calculating Energy Released in Nuclear Reaction

In summary: This binding energy can be calculated using the mass deficit, which is the difference between the total mass of the nucleons (protons and neutrons) and the mass of the nucleus. In this case, the mass deficit is 0.0015 u, which corresponds to 0.0015 u x 931 MeV/u = 1.3965 MeV. This is the minimum energy required to split the nucleons in the reaction.To calculate the energy released from the reaction, we can use the formula E = Δm * 931, where Δm is the mass deficit. Plugging in the values, we get E = 0.0015 u x 931 MeV/u = 1.3965 Me
Abidal Sala

Homework Statement

Calculate the energy released from the following reaction:-
2(H) ---> He [mass number for H = 2, atomic number for H = 1, mass number for He = 4, atomic number for He = 2]
Data: the mass of the H in the reaction = 2.0242 u, and its kinetic energy = 925 M.ev
and the mass of He = 4.0015 u

Homework Equations

E = mC^2
minimum energy required to split nucleons = Δm * 931
mass of nucleus = (Number of protons * mass of protons) + (number of neutrons * mass of neutrons)

The Attempt at a Solution

i really have no idea how this is done but the only thing i can think of is E = (difference between the masses) * C^2
so 1.9773 * 3 * 10^8 = 593190000 ??

Physics news on Phys.org
you need to balance the reaction equation out so that you have basically

2(mhydrogen)= 1(mass of helium) + Δm

then you can calculate the difference in mass.
I can see one mistake and that is that you have used the value for C instead of C^2.
Also note that the hydrogen has an initial kinetic energy I believe so don't forget to add that

Abidal Sala said:
mass of nucleus = (Number of protons * mass of protons) + (number of neutrons * mass of neutrons)
The nuclear mass also includes the binding energy, that is, the energy that is released when the nucleus splits.

1. What is nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and properties of atomic nuclei and the particles that make them up, such as protons and neutrons.

2. What is a nuclear reaction?

A nuclear reaction is a process that involves the transformation of one or more atomic nuclei, resulting in the release or absorption of energy. This can occur through processes such as fusion, fission, or radioactive decay.

3. How is nuclear energy produced?

Nuclear energy is produced through nuclear reactions, specifically nuclear fission. In this process, the nucleus of an atom is split into smaller parts, releasing a large amount of energy.

4. What are the potential applications of nuclear physics?

Nuclear physics has numerous potential applications, including energy production, medical imaging and treatments, and materials science. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the origins and evolution of the universe.

5. What are the potential risks associated with nuclear energy?

The main risks associated with nuclear energy are the release of radioactive materials and the potential for accidents or disasters. These risks can be mitigated through proper safety protocols and regulations.