Number Theory Euclidean Algorithm

In summary, the problem states that if u and v are integers and their greatest common divisor is 1, then if both u and v divide n, their product uv must also divide n. However, this is not necessarily true if their greatest common divisor is not 1. To prove this, we can use the fact that a number divides another number if and only if it is a linear combination of that number and another integer.
MathSquareRoo

Homework Statement

Suppose that u, v ∈ Z and (u,v) = 1. If u | n and v | n, show that uv | n. Show that this is false if (u,v) ≠ 1.

Homework Equations

a | b if b=ac

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I understand this putting in numbers for u,v, and n but I don't know how to formally write it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know a relation between the gcd and linear combinations of u and v?

Linear combination of u and v are equal to the gcd correct? And the gcd divides u and v I believe. I need help organizing all these ideas.

MathSquareRoo said:
Linear combination of u and v are equal to the gcd correct?
Not necessarily true for an arbitrary linear combination, but there exists at least one linear combination equal to the gcd.

And the gcd divides u and v I believe.
Certainly, gcd means greatest common divisor, so it's certainly a divisor.

OK, if we let d = the gcd, then you know there is a linear combination such that d = au + bv. Now you know that u divides n and v divides n, so how can you use that fact here?

So then au divides n and vb divides n?

MathSquareRoo said:
So then au divides n and vb divides n?

No, that isn't necessarily true. However, if u divides n, then n = ur for some integer r. And v divides n, so n = vs for some integer s. Now try using these facts.

1. What is the Euclidean algorithm?

The Euclidean algorithm is a method used to find the greatest common divisor (GCD) of two numbers. It is based on the principle that the GCD of two numbers is equal to the GCD of the smaller number and the remainder when the larger number is divided by the smaller number. It is named after the Greek mathematician Euclid.

2. How does the Euclidean algorithm work?

The Euclidean algorithm works by repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number and using the remainder as the new smaller number until the remainder is equal to 0. The last non-zero remainder is then the GCD of the two numbers.

3. What is the significance of the Euclidean algorithm in number theory?

The Euclidean algorithm is significant in number theory because it provides a quick and efficient method for finding the GCD of two numbers. It is also used in other areas of mathematics, such as cryptography and modular arithmetic.

4. Can the Euclidean algorithm be used for numbers other than integers?

Yes, the Euclidean algorithm can be used for any numbers that can be divided with remainders, such as rational numbers or polynomials. However, it is most commonly used for integers.

5. Are there any limitations to the Euclidean algorithm?

Yes, the Euclidean algorithm can be time-consuming for very large numbers. It also does not work for numbers that are not relatively prime (i.e. do not have a GCD of 1).