Finding Solutions for LCM and GCD Equations in Number Theory

In summary, in order to solve the system of equations where gcd(x,y)=7 and Lcm(x,y)=91 and x+y=24 and Lcm=40, it is necessary to find the prime factorization of lcm(x,y) and consider the possibilities for x and y based on the given constraints. However, in this particular case, there is no solution that satisfies all of the given conditions.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Solve in N^2 the following system of equations:

1- gcd(x,y)=7 and Lcm(x,y)=91

2- x+y=24 and Lcm =40

The Attempt at a Solution

Let d=gcd(x,y)

I said there exists an α and β so that x=dα and y=dβ and gcd(α,β)=1

And after doing some work i reached that α divides αβ=13 so that gives only two solutions that satisfy gcd(α,β)=1 and they are α=1 and β=13 and vise versa. So I got S={(7,91);(91,7)}. Can someone help me with the second one. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the prime factorization of x and y, then what can you say about the prime factorization of lcm(x,y)?? Does this have an easy form??

micromass said:
If you know the prime factorization of x and y, then what can you say about the prime factorization of lcm(x,y)?? Does this have an easy form??

I know that lmc(x,y)=40 ⇔ x divides 40 and y divides 40 , but I don't know what to do from there.

OK, I'll do some examples. See if you can spot the pattern:

If x=3, y=5, then lcm(x,y)=3*5
If x=3, y=2*5, then lcm(x,y)=2*3*5
If x=3², y=5, then lcm(x,y)=3²*5
If x=3², y=3³*5, then lcm(x,y)=3³*5
If x=3³*2², y=3²*5, then lcm(x,y)=2²*3³*5

Can you see an easy way to find the prime factorization of lcm(x,y), given the prime factorization of x and y?

micromass said:
OK, I'll do some examples. See if you can spot the pattern:

If x=3, y=5, then lcm(x,y)=3*5
If x=3, y=2*5, then lcm(x,y)=2*3*5
If x=3², y=5, then lcm(x,y)=3²*5
If x=3², y=3³*5, then lcm(x,y)=3³*5
If x=3³*2², y=3²*5, then lcm(x,y)=2²*3³*5

Can you see an easy way to find the prime factorization of lcm(x,y), given the prime factorization of x and y?

Yes i can but i don't know how to use that with my situation, and I really need to finish this because I still have a lot more stuff to do :(.

Here, you're given

[tex]lcm(x,y)=2^3*5[/tex]

What are the possibilities for x and y??

micromass said:
Here, you're given

[tex]lcm(x,y)=2^3*5[/tex]

What are the possibilities for x and y??

Possibilities of x and y could be: (1,40) (5,2^3) and (2^2,10) and the inverse of them too.

mtayab1994 said:
Possibilities of x and y could be: (1,40) (5,2^3) and (2^2,10) and the inverse of them too.

The last one is not correct as it would have an lcm of 2^2*5, and you're missing things like (8,10) and (8,40), etc. . But your idea is right: x and y can only be divisible by 2 and 5. Furthermore, at least one of x and y has to be divisible by 8.

Now, which numbers x and y such that x+y=24 are only divisible by 2 and 5?

mtayab1994 said:

There are quite a few pairs of numbers that you missed.

micromass said:
The last one is not correct as it would have an lcm of 2^2*5, and you're missing things like (8,10) and (8,40), etc. . But your idea is right: x and y can only be divisible by 2 and 5. Furthermore, at least one of x and y has to be divisible by 8.

Now, which numbers x and y such that x+y=24 are only divisible by 2 and 5?

(14,10) , (4,20) , (8,16) and the inverse of them, but I don't think this system has a solution. Am I correct?

mtayab1994 said:
(14,10) , (4,20) , (8,16) and the inverse of them.

And which ones satisfy lcm(x,y)=40?

micromass said:
And which ones satisfy lcm(x,y)=40?

Well none of them do. Aren't I correct?

I had made an edit in the post before.

Yes, there is no solution.

micromass said:
Yes, there is no solution.

Ok thank you and is there a better way of writing it out. Also I have a different problem that I'm I'm having difficulties with, so i'll post that as well .

I tihnk the simplest way is to focus on the fact that 40 is divisible by the prime number 5, therefore (at least) one of x and y is also divisible by 5. Taking x as divisible by 5, there are only four possible values (in ##\mathbb{N}##) less than 24 for x, and the resulting (x,y) pairs satisfying x+y=24 can be considered in turn and rejected. (Actually there are only three x values consistent with lcm(x,y) = 40, as 15 does not divide 40).

Last edited:

1. What is the LCM of two numbers?

The LCM (Least Common Multiple) of two numbers is the smallest positive integer that is divisible by both numbers without leaving a remainder. It is also known as the lowest common multiple or smallest common multiple.

2. How do you find the LCM of two numbers?

To find the LCM of two numbers, you can use the prime factorization method. First, find the prime factorization of both numbers. Then, write down all the prime factors in a list and include the highest power of each prime factor. Finally, multiply all the numbers in the list to get the LCM.

3. What is the GCD of two numbers?

The GCD (Greatest Common Divisor) of two numbers is the largest positive integer that divides both numbers without leaving a remainder. It is also known as the greatest common factor or highest common factor.

4. How do you find the GCD of two numbers?

To find the GCD of two numbers, you can use the Euclidean algorithm. This involves dividing the larger number by the smaller number and finding the remainder. Then, divide the smaller number by the remainder and continue this process until the remainder is 0. The last non-zero remainder is the GCD.

5. What are some real-life applications of LCM and GCD?

LCM and GCD have various applications in everyday life. For example, the LCM is used in calculating the time taken for two events to occur at the same time, such as when two trains will meet at a station. GCD is used in simplifying fractions, finding the highest common factor of a group of numbers, and in cryptography for generating public and private keys.