Number Theory: Matrix Exponential

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find M^{1870} mod 101 using Euler's Theorem. However, the matrix is not diagonizable over the real numbers and so the best way to proceed would be to diagonalize the matrix over the real numbers.
Dollydaggerxo

Homework Statement

If I have a matrix M, say
30 5
20 16
How do I calculate M[tex]^{1870}[/tex] mod 101 using Euler's Theorem.

Homework Equations

I have so far worked out M [tex]^{2}[/tex] mod 101 to be

91 28
11 53

and thought I could use this as 2x935=1870

The Attempt at a Solution

I can only find Euler's theorem with respect to numbers, rather than matrices. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried diagonalizing the matrix? This makes it easier to calculate exponents...

is that just finding the inverse?

No... Did you ever take a linear algebra course?? It's impossible that they didn't spoke of diagonalization in that course...

Okay, after researching this diagonalising I have come to the conclusion that my matrix cannot be diagonalised because all the roots of its characteristic equation are not real.

is this correct?
or could you point me in the right direction if it is not. thank you

Dollydaggerxo said:
Okay, after researching this diagonalising I have come to the conclusion that my matrix cannot be diagonalised because all the roots of its characteristic equation are not real.

is this correct?
or could you point me in the right direction if it is not. thank you
There are two issues with your comment:

The fact a matrix cannot be diagonalized over the reals does not imply that it cannot be diagonalized over the complex numbers -- even if the answer will eventually be real, it is often more convenient to do your calculations with complex numbers.

You are not doing linear algebra over the reals or complexes -- you are doing linear algebra over the field of 101 elements (or its extensions).

While it's worth learning the above, I suspect 1870 is small enough that you're probably better off just calculating it directly with a standard square-and-multiply method of doing exponentiation.

Hurkyl said:
There are two issues with your comment:

The fact a matrix cannot be diagonalized over the reals does not imply that it cannot be diagonalized over the complex numbers -- even if the answer will eventually be real, it is often more convenient to do your calculations with complex numbers.

You are not doing linear algebra over the reals or complexes -- you are doing linear algebra over the field of 101 elements (or its extensions).

While it's worth learning the above, I suspect 1870 is small enough that you're probably better off just calculating it directly with a standard square-and-multiply method of doing exponentiation.

You are right Hurkyl, but I've checked, and the matrix is not diagonaizable over [tex]\mathbb{F}_{101}[/tex]. Since the characteristic polynomial is irreducible. So you would have to go to a field extension of [tex]\mathbb{F}_{101}[/tex], and I hardly think this is what the point of the exercise is...

But, the matrix IS diagonizable over the real numbers. If you calculate the eigenvalues over [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], then I obtain 2 different eigenvalues. So I guess that the best way to proceed is to diagonalize this matrix over the reals, do the calculations there. And only then reduce everything to [tex]\mathbb{F}_{101}[/tex].

micromass said:
You are right Hurkyl, but I've checked, and the matrix is not diagonaizable over [tex]\mathbb{F}_{101}[/tex]. Since the characteristic polynomial is irreducible. So you would have to go to a field extension of [tex]\mathbb{F}_{101}[/tex], and I hardly think this is what the point of the exercise is...

But, the matrix IS diagonizable over the real numbers. If you calculate the eigenvalues over [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], then I obtain 2 different eigenvalues. So I guess that the best way to proceed is to diagonalize this matrix over the reals, do the calculations there. And only then reduce everything to [tex]\mathbb{F}_{101}[/tex].

I'm with Hurkyl. I think it's going to be lot easier to just bootstrap your way up to M^1870. If you know M^2 then you can get M^4, M^8,... I looked at this a while and I don't see any shortcuts either. Diagonalization is, like you said, impossible in Z_101 and a pain in C. You could also factorize 1870=2*5*11*17, but I don't think that simplifies it much either. Makes me wonder what the point of the exercise really is.

Dick said:
I'm with Hurkyl. I think it's going to be lot easier to just bootstrap your way up to M^1870. If you know M^2 then you can get M^4, M^8,... I looked at this a while and I don't see any shortcuts either. Diagonalization is, like you said, impossible in Z_101 and a pain in C. You could also factorize 1870=2*5*11*17, but I don't think that simplifies it much either. Makes me wonder what the point of the exercise really is.

Yes, I agree with you two on this. Squaring your way up to M^1870 is much easier. But then again, you won't be using Euler's theorem this way... I to am wondering what the point is and what they want you to do here...

thank you everybody for your replies - much appreciated.

yes i began by just squaring my way up to 1870 using the primes however i dont' really see how this uses Euler's theorem?

I could square my way up easily if it was just a number, but I have never done it with a matrix and think it will be extremely long-winded to work out the matrix to the power of 17?

Thanks again

Dollydaggerxo said:
thank you everybody for your replies - much appreciated.

yes i began by just squaring my way up to 1870 using the primes however i dont' really see how this uses Euler's theorem?

I could square my way up easily if it was just a number, but I have never done it with a matrix and think it will be extremely long-winded to work out the matrix to the power of 17?

Thanks again

To calculate the matrix to the power of 17, do:
M -> M2 -> M4 -> M8 -> M16 -> M17

thanks again.
when multiplying matrices to say get M17 what order would i do the matrices in?

For example does

M17 = M x (M16)

or

M17 = (M16) x M

micromass said:
So I guess that the best way to proceed is to diagonalize this matrix over the reals, do the calculations there. And only then reduce everything to [tex]\mathbb{F}_{101}[/tex].
Ah! Silly me -- it hadn't crossed my mind to compute the 1870-th power of an integer lift of M by diagonalizing over the reals (or complexes as appropriate), then reducing modulo 101.

Alas, that matrix is going to have very, very large components.

Dollydaggerxo said:
Alas, I can't see how Euler's theorem could possibly apply to this problem, except in the special case that the matrix diagonalizes over F101.

If you know your finite fields, you could show that if M is a 2x2 matrix over F101 whose characteristic polynomial is irreducible, then M10200 is the identity matrix, but that's not particularly useful for this problem.
(key proof idea -- the matrix must be diagonalizable over F1012)

Dollydaggerxo said:
M17 = M x (M16)

or

M17 = (M16) x M
Matrix multiplication is associative, so it doesn't matter where you put the parentheses in the expression
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM (this is a product of 17 M's)​
so both of your methods of computing M17 give the same value.

1. What is Number Theory?

Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers. It focuses on the study of integers, prime numbers, and their patterns and distributions.

2. What is a Matrix Exponential?

A Matrix Exponential is a mathematical operation that involves raising a square matrix to a power. It is used to represent complex transformations and can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

3. How is Number Theory related to Matrix Exponential?

Number Theory is closely related to Matrix Exponential as it deals with the properties of integers and prime numbers, which are essential in understanding the exponentiation of matrices. Number Theory also provides a theoretical foundation for the applications of Matrix Exponential.

4. What are the practical applications of Number Theory: Matrix Exponential?

Number Theory: Matrix Exponential has numerous practical applications, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and data compression. It is also used in solving differential equations and analyzing complex systems in physics and engineering.

5. How can I learn more about Number Theory: Matrix Exponential?

If you are interested in learning more about Number Theory: Matrix Exponential, you can start by studying linear algebra and number theory. There are also many online resources, textbooks, and courses available that cover this topic in detail.