NWhat is the Apparent Weight of a Bicyclist on a Hump?

In summary, the combined mass of the bicyclist and bicycle is 62 kg. They go over a hump with a radius of 6m at a speed of 5m/s. The apparent weight at the top of the hump is equal to the normal force, which can be calculated by subtracting the centripetal force (290N) from the weight (607.6N). This results in a normal force of approximately 350.23N.
tdusffx
A bicycle of bicyclist of combined masss 62 kg go over a hump of radius 6m at a speed of 5m/s. what is their combined appararent weight at the top of the hump?

is it just...

Fc = MAc

Fc =M(V^2/r)

Fc = 62(25/6)

Fc = 290N

Physics news on Phys.org
You only took into account the centripetal force, there is another force acting on the system.

BTW "apparent weight" usually means that they are asking for the normal force (the reaction force that the hump applies).

Last edited:
grrr, I have no idea then.

Well think about it. If i stand on a hump and don't move then my weight is going to be w = mg but if i travel over the hump at some speed then the centripetal force will act in the opposite direction of gravity and make me lighter.

oh, then normal force is what i solved for. didn't I?

hmmm, ya, that's correct. Hold on let me check the problem again.

man, I have no idea how to solve this one..

you solved for the centripetal force

Sum of force = MA (a = 0 because no acceleration in y direction, or you can plug in a = v^2/r and keep left side as n - mg)

N - mg + Centripetal = 0

you already solved the centripetal force. Now plug in mg and solve for N to get "apparent weight" or normal force.

hmmm...thanks man. I appreciate it.

anyways...

Fn - mg + Fc = 0

Fn = mg - Fc

Fn = 607.6-258.33

Fn is roughly 350

Related to NWhat is the Apparent Weight of a Bicyclist on a Hump?

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were formulated by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. How are Newton's Laws applied in everyday life?

Newton's Laws are applied in various ways in everyday life, such as driving a car, riding a bike, or throwing a ball. These laws help us understand how objects move and interact with each other.

3. Can you explain Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. This means that objects will not change their state of motion unless a force is applied to them.

4. How is Newton's Second Law of Motion calculated?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to the mass of the object and the acceleration produced. This can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

5. What is an example of Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. An example of this is when you push against a wall, the wall pushes back with an equal force. Another example is the recoil of a gun when a bullet is fired.