1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NYU - Honors Chemistry I

1. Mar 3, 2006 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

http://www.nyu.edu/classes/tuckerman/honors.chem/lectures/notes.html

Lecture 1 -- Introduction and mathematical preliminaries

Lecture 2 -- Origins of molecules, relative masses, and the mole concept

Lecture 3 -- Chemical formulae, chemical equations and the fundamental laws of reactions

Lecture 4 -- Balancing equations and stoichiometry

Lecture 5 -- Chemical bonding I: Background, Lewis model and ionic bonding

Lecture 6 -- Chemical bonding II: Covalent bonding and Lewis structures.

Lecture 7 -- Chemical bonding III: Polar covalent bonds and molecular geometry.

Lecture 8 -- The gaseous state I: Boyle's and Charles' laws and the ideal gas law.

Lecture 9 -- The gaseous state II: The kinetic theory of the ideal gas.

Lecture 10 -- The gaseous state III: The hard sphere and van der Waals gases.

Lecture 11 -- Phases of matter, phase transitions and intermolecular forces.

Lecture 12 -- Solutions I: Composition, preparation and microscopic coordination.

Lecture 13 -- Solutions II: Stoichiometry, titrations and colligative properties.

Lecture 14 -- Thermodynamics I: Introduction and statement of the zeroth and first laws.

Lecture 15 -- Thermodynamics II: Enthalpy, thermochemistry and properties of an ideal gas.

Lecture 16 -- Thermodynamics III: Time reversal invariance of mechanics, microstates and entropy, and the Carnot cycle.

Lecture 17 -- Thermodynamics IV: Efficiency, Thermodynamic definition of entropy and the Second Law

Lecture 18 -- Thermodynamics V: Discussion of the 2nd Law, Gibbs free energy.

Lecture 19 -- The nature of chemical equilibrium and derivation of equilibrium constants.

Lecture 20 -- Equilibrium calculations, Le Chatelier's principle and temperature dependence of the equilibrium constant.

Lecture 21 -- Acids and bases: Basic definitions and acid/base strength.

Lecture 22 -- Acid-base equilibrium calculations, microscopic picture of hydronium and hydroxyl solvation and diffusion.

Lecture 23 -- Heterogeneous equilibria: activity, extraction processes, solubility.

Lecture 24 -- Heterogeneous equilibria: Precipitation, common ions, effects of pH, complex ions.

Professor M. Tuckerman
    1001L Main Building
    Phone: 8-8471
    E-mail: mark.tuckerman@nyu.edu

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2006 #2

Astronuc

4. Mar 3, 2006 #3

Astronuc

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted