Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obama Aipac

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

So Obama has come out very pro-Israel. This is a good first start. Based on the recent rumours tying Obama to a Palestinian "activist", Obama has made his intentions clear. Does this change your perception of him?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/u....html?pagewanted=4&_r=1&sq=aipac&st=nyt&scp=3

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2008 #2
    Is there a purpose to this thread, other than quoting the article?

4. Jun 4, 2008 #3

Evo

Yes, this is his first speech after proclaiming himself the DNC Presidential candidate and it gives a lot of insight on where he stands. There has been some misinformation circulating that he would back the Palestinians against Israel, which isn't true and he addresses that here. Also, he clears up why he opposed the US invading Iraq, it was because he considers Iran the true threat. I suggest you read the entire speech. It's pretty damn good, IMO.

Ooops, I see that I accidently deleted one of my opening comments.

5. Jun 4, 2008 #4

Astronuc

In addition to Evo's points, there have been misinformation campaigns on circulating on the internet about Obama's religious affiliation and the comments by Hamas. So Obama now steps forward to express his thoughts and goals regarding Israel's security and the situation in the ME.

Cool - he mentioned something that I mentioned in an email to him. So he does pay attention. :approve:

6. Jun 4, 2008 #5
    I understand all that, and agree with some of it, and have read the entire speech. It seems somewhat redundant (and against guidelines) to simply post a quote and a link, without any start to the discussion. You gave no indication as to what direction you wanted the conversation to head. Is this intended to be a discussion of the quality of his speechwriters? His stance on Isreal? The Isreal issue in general?

And that would be?

7. Jun 4, 2008 #6

Evo

That he is clearing up the rumours that he had ties with a Palestinian activist. That he has finally made a clear stand on issues, does this change how anyone perceives him?

He definitely left no wiggle room, which is what I would expect of him from now on. He's cut ties with his church. He wants nothing casting doubt on what he wants for the US.

There I corrected my OP.

8. Jun 4, 2008 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obama's comments with regard to the rumors about him:

Funny!

Astro - he quoted something you sent him? Really? How cool is that - I'm impressed!

9. Jun 5, 2008 #8
    It does somewhat. While I had never actually heard the rumours tying him to an activist, I'm glad to hear that they are false. However, I am somewhat concerned by the fact that he now seems a little too pro-Isreal, possibly at the expense of other nations in the region. On the other hand, he could just be responding to the rumours, and came off that way. I guess we'll have to wait and see if he gets elected to see how he actually behaves. His entire speech seems to be about "Isreal is justified, everyone around them is terrorists". I hope he doesn't actually hold this attitude, only time will tell. (of course, me being Canadian, my opinion of him won't really have much of an effect)

10. Jun 5, 2008 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this is mostly Obama trying to reassure the Florida Jewish community that they can vote for him.

11. Jun 5, 2008 #10
    Thank goodness, for a moment I thought he was being sincere.

12. Jun 5, 2008 #11
    I hope so (to some extent at least). I would hate to see someone in power who actually believes that Isreal can do no wrong.

13. Jun 5, 2008 #12
    While it would be nice to have at least one politician be sincere, in this case, I hope not.

14. Jun 5, 2008 #13

mheslep

Gold Member

I don't gain much on Sen. Obama's foreign policy insight from this speech. I gain some other's, mainly that he says what he thinks the audience wants to hear:

July '07:
    AIPAC:
    And who are the appropriate Iranian leaders? Ahmadinejad? 'Supreme Leader' Kamenei? More Western friendly internal group? As soon as Sen. Obama chooses one of them, without 'precondition', he elevates them.

which is basically the position of the current US administration and the EU's.

Obama did not mention Iran in his primary antiwar in Iraq speech.
    http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Barack_Obama's_Iraq_Speech

The insight I draw from this speech is that Senator Clinton's insight on Obama was correct: he's not ready for the job, making it up as he goes along.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  15. Jun 6, 2008 #14

mheslep

Gold Member

Here is the fade away after Wednesday's AIPAC speech jumper, where he said:
    which apparently had only a 48 hour warranty, as in response to a CNN question on whether Palestinians had future claim to the city he said:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/06/AR2008060601590.html

16. Jun 6, 2008 #15
    That's what you need, a president who is honest, consistant, says precisely what he means, rather than saying what he thinks people want to hear.

Of course the alternative isn't any better...

What you really need is some quality candidates!

17. Jun 6, 2008 #16

Evo

Ah, but the next paragraph

18. Jun 6, 2008 #17
    Do you really think that it is fair for Israel to keep the whole city as its capital and the Palestinians should go and f*ck themselves for all you care.

19. Jun 6, 2008 #18

mheslep

Gold Member

Yes, I saw that, sounds very reasonable and practical now, after the speech. My point is the Sen. should have had the fortitude to say that Wednesday in front of AIPAC instead of "[it] must remain undivided. " Period. Big applause. AIPAC folk are saying they were misled on Wed. if this latest is what he really meant.

20. Jun 8, 2008 #19
    I've seen many of my fellow Americans support take the postion that Israel has some right to colonize whatever potions of the Levant they like. However, I've yet to see anyone with such a mindsit even attempt to argue their position is based on any attempt to be fair.

21. Jun 8, 2008 #20
    He hasn't said anything that hasn't been said before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?