Observing Hawking Radiation from Inside a Black Hole

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Hawking radiation and its treatment from the point of view of an observer outside a black hole. The possibility of the black hole having an interior is also considered. The conversation delves into the idea of looking at the radiation from different perspectives and the role of symmetry in understanding it. However, the understanding of this concept requires a deep understanding of quantum field theory.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Usually Hawking radiation is treated from the point of view of an observer outside the black hole (by which I mean the event horizon, not the supposed singularity), in which case it is possible (although maybe not convenient) to treat the black hole as not having an interior. However, let us suppose that the black hole has an interior, and that an observer spends the last few moments of her life looking at the Hawking radiation. Now, I don't want to discuss whether or not a particle is falling in or whether a particle is tunneling out. What I am interested in arises from the observation that the point of view of someone outside can be phrased as looking at the black hole from its future. (If I am stumbling already here, then a correction would render the rest of the question irrelevant.) This seems intuitive, since information takes a while to get there. However, could one say that looking at the emission from the inside was like looking at it from the black hole's past? On one side, this would seem to follow from symmetry, but perhaps that is too superficial and this cannot be said. On the other hand, if it can be said, I have a harder time forming an intuitive justification (beyond symmetry) for it. So, my questions are: (a) is this a silly extension, and if not, then (b) can one give an intuitive picture of it, perhaps in the form of information transfer? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
nomadreid said:
What I am interested in arises from the observation that the point of view of someone outside can be phrased as looking at the black hole from its future. (If I am stumbling already here, then a correction would render the rest of the question irrelevant.)

You are not quite stumbling here, but you are a little further on:

nomadreid said:
However, could one say that looking at the emission from the inside was like looking at it from the black hole's past?

No. Information still takes time to get to you when you are inside the black hole; so you are seeing events in your past light cone, not events to your future.

Likes nomadreid and QuantumQuest
Yes, that makes sense. Although I was actually thinking of looking at the emission from the distant past, before the formation of the black hole.

Last edited:
That which inspired the question was a remark that the emission could be seen as a solution to Maxwell's equations for the event horizon from the far future and from the distant past (before the creation of the black hole), and using a transformation between the two solutions. I am attempting to get behind this remark, without much success.

nomadreid said:
I am attempting to get behind this remark, without much success.

The remark is describing a fairly advanced application of quantum field theory in curved spacetime. The basic idea is that a quantum field state which is a vacuum in the far past gets transformed by the spacetime curvature of the black hole into a thermal state in the far future. But it takes a considerable background in QFT to be able to follow the details. I first learned about it in Wald's 1993 monograph on QFT in curved spacetime and black hole thermodynamics, which would be an "A" level reference here on PF.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, PeterDonis, for the summary and the warning. "For fools rush in where angels fear to tread." Aware of my limitations, I will then leave this topic in the category "maybe in another life I will choose Physics for my university studies".

What is Hawking Radiation?

Hawking Radiation is a phenomenon predicted by physicist Stephen Hawking in which black holes emit radiation due to quantum mechanical effects near the event horizon.

How can Hawking Radiation be observed from inside a black hole?

Currently, it is not possible to observe Hawking Radiation from inside a black hole as the intense gravitational pull prevents any information from escaping.

Why is it important to observe Hawking Radiation from inside a black hole?

Observing Hawking Radiation from inside a black hole could provide valuable insights into the nature of black holes and the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions.

What challenges are involved in observing Hawking Radiation from inside a black hole?

The main challenge is the extreme gravitational pull near the event horizon of a black hole, which makes it difficult for any instruments or probes to get close enough to observe the radiation. Additionally, the radiation itself is very weak and difficult to detect.

Are there any proposed methods for observing Hawking Radiation from inside a black hole?

Some theories suggest using quantum entanglement or gravitational lensing to indirectly detect Hawking Radiation, but these methods are still in the theoretical stages and have not been tested or proven.