1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OChem Issue: Tosylation

1. Jan 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Predict the major product in the following reaction (Hint: Consider intra-molecular reaction)

2. Relevant equations

HO2C-(CH2)3-CH(OH)-CH3 ------------cat. p-TsOH, heat----------> ???

3. The attempt at a solution

Essentially what I cannot figure out is if the tosic acid is going to replace the -OH group of the carboxylic acid, the other standalone -OH group, or both. I would assume that it would only replace one since the molecule would likely be more stable, and for that same reason I would also assume that it would replace the 2 prime -OH rather than the -OH attached to the carboxylic acid group.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2015 #2

A screenshot of the molecule in Marvin Sketch is attached

Attached Files:

4. Jan 18, 2015 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

And, your doubts regarding your assumption are what?

5. Jan 18, 2015 #4
    My original thought was stability, but I am not sure. We were never shown an example problem where there was any more than one -OH group in class, nor were we shown what could happen if there are two oxygen-centric functional groups. I just do not know how to go about dealing with them since we only worked one or two problems with run-of-the-mill 1 and 2 prime alcohols.

6. Jan 18, 2015 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The second "-OH" group you're worried about doesn't work as such; it's part of the carboxylic acid functional group and has to be treated as being part of that group rather as another alcohol group. Feel a little more comfortable?

7. Jan 18, 2015 #6
    Extremely, thank you. I was mainly unsure of that exact point. "Is is still treated as a lone hydroxyl group, or is it treated as a part of a group that does not necessarily obey that tosylate rule?" That clears everything up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted