Phenylethanone Reaction with NaH

• Thread starter Natalie456
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the instructions stated that phenylethanone would react with NaH followed by an acid quench. NaH acts as a hydride donor, taking one of the hydrogens from the methyl group. This forms an enol when the negative charge is on the oxygen, but tautomerization to a ketone may regenerate phenylethanone. The amount of reagents was not specified. It is possible that the H- acts as a nucleophile rather than a base in this reaction. The exact mechanism may be different for NaH compared to other reducing agents.
Natalie456
Please post this type of questions in the homework section using the template.
The instructions only specified that phenylethanone would react with NaH followed by an acid quench. I know that NaH provides a hydride (H-), and this will "take" one of the hydrogens on the exposed methyl group.

I followed this by pushing electrons so that the negative charge was on the oxygen, rather than carbon, and the acid quench (H+) would form an enol. However, doesn't tautomerization to a ketone product just regenerate phenylethanone again, or am I missing something? Thank you for your time. No amounts for any reagent were specified.

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if, instead of thinking of H- as a base, you think of it as a nucleophile?

Natalie456 said:
The instructions only specified that phenylethanone would react with NaH followed by an acid quench. I know that NaH provides a hydride (H-), and this will "take" one of the hydrogens on the exposed methyl group.

I followed this by pushing electrons so that the negative charge was on the oxygen, rather than carbon, and the acid quench (H+) would form an enol. However, doesn't tautomerization to a ketone product just regenerate phenylethanone again, or am I missing something? Thank you for your time.No amounts for any reagent were specified.

Does it? I’m rusty but I thought the H- went to the carbonyl C*, after which you can’t make that tautomerism work. Is NaH qualitatively different from other reducing agents?
Can you write out a scheme?

*Often pictured as δ+ due to electron withdrawal onto the more electronegative O pictured =O δ-.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the reaction between phenylethanone and NaH?

The purpose of this reaction is to form a carbanion intermediate, which can then be used in further reactions to create new carbon-carbon bonds. This can be useful in the synthesis of various organic compounds.

2. What is the mechanism of the reaction between phenylethanone and NaH?

The reaction proceeds through an acid-base reaction, where the strong base NaH deprotonates the alpha carbon of phenylethanone, forming a carbanion intermediate. This intermediate can then undergo various reactions, such as nucleophilic addition or substitution, to form new carbon-carbon bonds.

3. What are the conditions required for the reaction between phenylethanone and NaH to occur?

The reaction typically requires an aprotic solvent, such as THF or DMSO, to dissolve both the reactants and the products. It also requires the presence of a strong base, such as NaH, and a suitable temperature for the reaction to take place.

4. What are the potential side products of the reaction between phenylethanone and NaH?

One potential side product is the formation of a dimer, where two molecules of phenylethanone combine through a nucleophilic addition reaction. This can be minimized by using a smaller excess of NaH. Another potential side product is the formation of an enolate, which can then react with other electrophiles to form unexpected products.

5. What are the applications of the reaction between phenylethanone and NaH in organic synthesis?

This reaction is commonly used in the synthesis of various organic compounds, such as ketones, aldehydes, and esters. It can also be used to form carbon-carbon bonds in more complex molecules, making it a useful tool in organic synthesis. Additionally, the carbanion intermediate formed in this reaction can be used in other reactions, such as aldol condensation, to create even more complex compounds.