Odd Series Behavior: Exploring 1 + -1 + 1 + -1

In summary, my professor said something like "The series 1 + -1 + 1 + -1 and so on is defined to be one half... but let's not go into that." and then didn't feel like explaining when people asked him why. I have no idea why that would be true... It seems like a similar case might be \int_{0}^{\infty}\sin x\,\textrm{d}x but that isn't defined to be one half or zero or anything at all. So why oh why is this true? \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(-1\right)^{n}=\frac{1}{2} So why oh why is
bowma166
Today, my professor said something like "The series 1 + -1 + 1 + -1 and so on is defined to be one half... but let's not go into that." and then didn't feel like explaining when people asked him why. I have no idea why that would be true...

It seems like a similar case might be

[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\sin x\,\textrm{d}x[/tex]

but that isn't defined to be one half or zero or anything at all.

So why oh why is this true?

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(-1\right)^{n}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
bowma166 said:
So why oh why is this true?

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(-1\right)^{n}=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

THis is true...because it is NOT true!

the alternating series
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(-1\right)^{n}[/tex]

does not converge at all.
One will get either 1 or 0 as the final sum, depending on how you group the terms. So, by the definition of what we mean with convergence it does not converge.

BUT, i have heard of some sort of Eulers method, or Ramaujan summation, or some different kind of summation, and that might be true, but i have no knowledge whatsoever of those summations.

So, this is not true, if the summation is the common one, i don't know about the others. But people here will enlighten you, just wait until this thread catches the eyes of the right people...

Another reason why one might want the sum to be 1/2 is that

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}x^n=\frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]

for [tex]-1<x<1[/tex]. If you put in [tex]x=-1[/tex], then the series on the left diverges, but on the right you get 1/2. This is basically the idea behind "Abel summation", which is a weaker form of Cesaro's method.

I've usually seen Ramanujan summation being used in cases like that.

Equivalently you can write it in terms of the zeta function, by
[tex]\eta(s)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{n^s} = (1-2^{1-s})\zeta(s)[/tex]
so that,

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty (-1)^{n} = \eta(0) = -\zeta(0) = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

If you have seen the derivation of the functional equation (which is as far as I have understood is Ramanjuan summation) for the zeta function this sort of "makes sense".

Related to Odd Series Behavior: Exploring 1 + -1 + 1 + -1

1. What is the pattern in the series 1 + -1 + 1 + -1?

The pattern in this series is that every other term is positive 1 and negative 1, creating a repeating pattern.

2. Does this series converge or diverge?

This series is considered to be divergent, meaning that it does not have a finite sum. The terms alternate between positive and negative, resulting in the sum never approaching a specific value.

3. How is this series different from a typical arithmetic series?

This series differs from a typical arithmetic series in that the terms do not increase or decrease by a consistent amount. In a typical arithmetic series, each term is a constant value added or subtracted from the previous term.

4. Can this series be manipulated or rearranged to converge?

No, this series cannot be manipulated or rearranged to converge. The alternating positive and negative terms make it impossible for the series to approach a specific value.

5. What is the significance of exploring odd series behavior?

Exploring odd series behavior can help us understand the properties and limitations of series in mathematics. It also has practical applications in fields such as physics, where alternating series behavior can be observed in phenomena such as alternating currents.