Maximizing Velocity and Acceleration in a Slider Crank Mechanism

In summary, the conversation discusses a mechanism shown in Figure 1 and determines various aspects such as velocity, angular velocity, and acceleration for different angles. Further, it also discusses the maximum angular velocity of link AB and how to confirm calculations using trigonometry. The person is seeking guidance on understanding parts b and c of the question.
hopkid

Homework Statement

a) For the mechanism shown in figure 1 determine for the angle (45°):
i) the velocity (VBO) of the piston relative to the fixed point (O).
ii) the angular velocity of AB about point A.
iii) the acceleration of point B relative to A.
*Note: Link AB is horizontal when angle = 45°.
b) Determine the value of the angle (measured from vertical) when:
i) the velocity of point b = 0.
ii) the angular velocity of link AB a maximum.
c) what is the maximum angular velocity of link AB?

Homework Equations

v=lw (a)r = v^2/l

The Attempt at a Solution

l of AO = 50mm = 0.05m
l of AB = 200mm = 0.2m
w of AO = 300 x 2pi/60 = 31.42 rads^-1

ai) V of AO = l of AO x w of AO.
V of A0 = 0.05 x 31.42
V of AO = 1.57ms^-1

*Use this value to draw a velocity diagram (attached).

To confirm using trig,

Sin(45°) = V of BO/1.57
V of BO = 1.57 x Sin(45°)
V of BO = 1.11ms^-1

aii) v=lw therefore w=v/l

w of AB = v of AB/l of AB
w of AB = 1.11/0.2
w of AB = 5.55 rads^-1

aiii) (a of BA)r = v of BA^2/l of BA
(a of BA)r = 1.11^2/0.2
(a of BA)r = 6.16ms^-2

*Tangential velocity is calculated in the acceleration diagram (attached).

Radial acceleration of AO calculated below to use in the diagram.
(a of AO)r = v of AO^2/l of AO
(a of AO)r = 1.57^2/0.05
(a of AO)r = 49.3ms^-2

So, as per the diagram, (a of BA)t = 34.5ms^-2.

This is the part where I am starting to struggle, I have had conformation back from my tutor that the first 3 parts to the question look good but I am struggling with parts b & c.

If someone could help push me in the right direction then it would be very much appreciated. I am after guidance, not answers, I want to learn.

Attachments

• Offset Crank Slider.JPG
    Offset Crank Slider.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 2,668
  • Velocity Diagram.JPG
    Velocity Diagram.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,705
  • Acceleration Diagram.JPG
    Acceleration Diagram.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 1,478
No I have no new information, I've tried to be as thorough as possible with my post because in the past people have asked for more information. I'm really struggling with understanding this, and I'm not too sure why I am not getting any responses?!

Hi,

Did you have any luck finding out about Q1b and Q1c? I am inclined to think that velocity B=0 occurs when the crank arm and link create a straight line. And max acceleration occurs when they are at right angles. Then its just a case of drawing out the triangle to find theta? Is that anywhere along the right line?

-Mikey

1. What is an offset slider crank mechanism?

An offset slider crank mechanism is a type of mechanical linkage used to convert rotational motion into linear motion. It consists of a rotating crank, a connecting rod, and a sliding block known as a slider. The slider is offset from the center of the crank, which creates an eccentric motion as the crank rotates.

2. How does an offset slider crank mechanism work?

The offset slider crank mechanism works by converting the circular motion of the crank into the reciprocating motion of the slider. As the crank rotates, the connecting rod moves the slider back and forth in a straight line. The offset in the slider's position causes it to move in an elliptical path, which can be used to power other mechanical components.

3. What are the applications of an offset slider crank mechanism?

Offset slider crank mechanisms have many practical applications in various industries. They are commonly used in engines, pumps, and compressors to convert rotational motion into linear motion. They are also used in mechanical presses, saws, and other industrial machines to generate precise and controlled movements.

4. How is the offset distance determined in an offset slider crank mechanism?

The offset distance in an offset slider crank mechanism is determined by the eccentricity of the crank. This is the distance between the center of the crank and the center of the slider. The larger the eccentricity, the greater the offset, and the more pronounced the elliptical motion of the slider will be.

5. What are the advantages of using an offset slider crank mechanism?

Using an offset slider crank mechanism offers several advantages. It allows for the conversion of rotational motion into linear motion, which can be used to power various mechanical components. It is also relatively simple and inexpensive to design and manufacture, making it a popular choice in many applications. Additionally, the offset slider crank mechanism can provide smooth and precise movements, making it suitable for use in precision machinery.