Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

On line dating

1. Jul 1, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Zooby suggested i try this, so far i have 20 nubile Russian girls who want to marry an older English man (as Russian men are all drunkards), 5 high pressure buisness women that have never had a relationship before, and a load of old boilers, where is my eve :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2006 #2
    I met my husband on line, in a chat room about pets. We chated for over a year befor I agreed to meet him. Then dated for another 8 months in real time, then just figured out we should be married, so we did.
    I don't think I could do a online dateing service, the ones I looked at, just had a creepy feel to them.

4. Jul 1, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whenever I've heard of someone meeting their eventual spouse online, it's been through chat rooms and forums where they just happen to stumble into someone else single with similar interests, just the way you might find someone to date when going out to parties or joining local organizations, etc.

Actual online dating services seem all wrong to me too, and I've never met anyone who's had lasting success from those. You might as well get the mail-order-bride catalog for as much good as those seem to do.

5. Jul 1, 2006 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonb, you're not helping! :biggrin:

6. Jul 1, 2006 #5

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I met Swerve through OKCupid! I'm not sure that honestly qualifies as a dating site, though. I've actually met a lot of people from it, but had no intention of dating any of them other than her.

Edit: Honestly, though, that site has sucked for at least two years now. It was cool when it first opened and was just a bunch of people from the Spark that came to take tests and happened to meet up. Now it's become infested by the types that Wolram is talking up.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006
  7. Jul 1, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah...when someone posted a link to some quizzes there...was it Gale I have to blame for that?...I set up a profile just to see what happens. Ick! I got all the male equivalents of what Wolram listed.

8. Jul 1, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

A close friend stumbled across such as site, with attractive young Russian woman. It turns out that this site, and others, are a scam to collect money from Western men.

My friend checked into one of the women, and he found that she had multiple identities on different sites. Further investigation revealed that several other Russian women were doing the same. At least one woman was an actress who allowed her image to be used by unscrupulous people to con money out of unsuspecting men.

I'll try to dig up the information.

9. Jul 1, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Well if any one wants a vintage man in unrestored condition, barn find unused for 30yrs, engine starts with no rattles or knocks, all gear select ok,
    some signs of repair to body work, 100% origonal, easy restoration project or use as is, sensible offers only no wheel kickers.

10. Jul 1, 2006 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Me too. Except my wife and I met in a Detroit Red Wings forum and talked back and forth for about 2 years before meeting.

11. Jul 1, 2006 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Online dating sites can work, but you have to sort the wheat from the chaf, and it's 99.999% chaf.

Most men want a woman within walking distance of their house. :grumpy: Their profiles should just come out and say "I don't actually care about finding the right person, I just want someone nearby". Sorry, I've seen what lives within walking distance of my house. :surprised

I must say I have met a couple of incredible men on dating sites. OKC really isn't a dating site, it's more meeting new friends. I've become friends with a woman I met on OKC, we're klutz clones. She could be a sister. I also met the nicest suicidal, alcoholic, gun toting Russian Nuclear Engineer on OKC. :biggrin:

Moonbear, you're just not looking in the right places. I'm going to send you a profile of someone I think you'd like. He's too young for me. I found a cutie for MIH also. :approve:

12. Jul 1, 2006 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wonderful! We have to screen him for cat allergies, though.

13. Jul 1, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

This is all very sad to read....

14. Jul 1, 2006 #13
    indeed.
    Myself I'm not married yet, but I have 2 friends who met their future wives on irc.
    So upon this and all other cases I must conclude that relationships through net work.

15. Jul 1, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

No they dont, you just get to meet exponentially higher amounts of people online and even though you're chances are much lower finding someone online, you have the big numbers to make that low-probability work. It's not love, its science. :biggrin:

16. Jul 1, 2006 #15

wolram

Gold Member

For one time the penguin may be right :confused: no impossible::bugeye:

17. Jul 1, 2006 #16
    and by simple scientific explanation, it proves that working relationships through internet are proportional to overall number of chat users with respect to connection speed they possess. Hence, with few assumptions, they do work.

18. Jul 1, 2006 #17

Pengwuino

Gold Member

That formula doesn't add up at all

19. Jul 1, 2006 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I met my girlfriend on.. *gulp* myspace.com, of all places. We've now been dating for over two years, and living together for over a year. I'd say it's been a resounding success.

Of course, I met about 20 girls before her who were often spectacularly wrong for me. And, of course, I met my share of psychos. The meth addicts and the kleptomaniacs turned me off of online dating for a while, but eventually I hit paydirt.

Just like penguin says, the internet exposes you to many times more people than you'd otherwise have a chance to meet, so the probability of success is really pretty good.

- Warren

20. Jul 1, 2006 #19

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Historically, I'd say I've met the highest quality of woman through classes and school-related crap, but there are few women in my department now and none that I find myself attracted to.

21. Jul 1, 2006 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, that seems to be the best place to meet people, but once you're out of school, if you haven't yet met THE person, then it gets a lot harder to find them. :frown:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?