How Do You Calculate the Constant in a Helicopter's Takeoff Equation?

In summary: I would have expected A to be in the range of something like 5 or 10, not 0.0404. But that's just an intuitive feeling, not based on anything concrete.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

As a helicopter carrying a crate takes off, its vertical position (as well as the crate's) is given as: y(t)= At^3, where A is a constant and t is time with t=0 corresponding to when it leaves the ground. When the helicopter reaches a height of h = 15.0m the crate is released from the underside of the aircraft. From the time the crate leaves the helicopter to the time it hits the ground, 2.50 seconds pass. Calculate A.

Homework Equations

Kinematic equation: S = Si + Vi*t+1/2*a*t^2
given equation: y(t)=At^3

The Attempt at a Solution

I first found the initial velocity that the crate left the aircraft using kinematics:
0=15+Vi*2.5+1/2*-9.81*2.5^2
Vi = 6.2625 m/s

Next, I took the derivative of the position function and got the velocity function y'(t)=3At^2

I then set 6.2625 = 3A*t^2
and noticed that using the first equation A=15/t^3
6.2625=3*15/t^3*t^2
simplified to
6.2625=45/t
t=7.1865

I then inputted this t time back into the original equation to find A
15=A*7.1865^3
A=0.0404

I added units of m/s^3 to the answer so that it cleared out in units.

Does this seem right?
Is it okay to add the units at the end here as m/s^3?

I don't like the answer A=0.0404, it seems to small.

Physics news on Phys.org
It all looks good to me. It's okay that it turned out small, it would be worse if it turned out big; say A=1, then in just 10 seconds the helicopter would be moving vertically at 300 m/s!

Edit:
RJLiberator said:
I added units of m/s^3 to the answer so that it cleared out in units.
Is it okay to add the units at the end here as m/s^3?
Yes, that was also correct.

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator
Thanks for the help, that makes sense indeed.

I wanted to bump this post for any more opinions before I complete this assignment.

I feel "good" about my answer, but I don't feel conceptually happy about it.

1. What is one-dimensional kinematics?

One-dimensional kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, without considering the causes of the motion or the forces involved.

2. What are the basic concepts of one-dimensional kinematics?

The basic concepts of one-dimensional kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, time, and position. These concepts are used to describe and analyze the motion of objects in a straight line.

3. How is one-dimensional kinematics different from two-dimensional kinematics?

One-dimensional kinematics deals with the motion of objects in a straight line, while two-dimensional kinematics deals with the motion of objects in two-dimensional space. This means that two-dimensional kinematics takes into account the vertical and horizontal components of an object's motion, while one-dimensional kinematics only considers motion in a single direction.

4. How is the motion of an object represented in one-dimensional kinematics?

In one-dimensional kinematics, the motion of an object is represented using graphs or equations. Graphs can show the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object over time, while equations can be used to calculate these values at any given time.

5. What are some real-world applications of one-dimensional kinematics?

One-dimensional kinematics has many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed and distance of a car on a straight road, analyzing the motion of projectiles, and predicting the trajectory of a rocket. It is also used in sports to analyze the speed and motion of athletes, and in engineering for designing and optimizing machines and structures.