1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

One dimensional lattice dispersion relation

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    I'm doing an experiment, in which I have a one dimensional lattice held up by strings. That is I have a series of n masses each of mass M each connected to each other by springs with spring constant C and unstretched length a. Each mass is suspended from the ceiling by a string of length L. I'm trying to find a relation that relates the angular frequency to the wave number for transverse oscillations. I found one for longitudinal oscillations, w^2=(g/L)+(4C/M)(sin(ka/2)^2, where w is the angular frequency and k is the wave number. For transverse oscillations things become more difficult. I know the relation has the form w^2=(g/L)+(4D/M)(sin(ka/2)^2, where D is a constant that involves C and is smaller than C. I'm guessing D has the form D=B(a/L)C, where B is a constant. You have to setup the equation of motion for transverse oscillations and assume a solution of the form y(x,t)=exp(i(k(na+x)-wt), where y is the transverse displacement. From there you make a bunch of approximations to get an equation of the above form. I've spent a lot of time working on this. I'll post more of the work I've done, when I have more time. I attached a pdf file with more info to the post.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?