One dimensional stress,strain,deflection analysis

In summary, The speaker is an undergraduate student who is working on finding deflection, stress, and strain using the finite difference method. They have developed a MATLAB program for deflection but are unsure about how to find stress and strain. They ask for advice on the process and clarify that they only need guidance, not a program.
tanma_amnat
hi
i am an undergrad student

i had an eqn like the following from which i am to find deflection,stress and strain using finite difference method

EI (d4 y/dx4)-m(d2y/dt2)-P sin wt=0

P=force
y=deflection
w=frequency
t=time

i have developed a MATLAB prog for deflection

how can I find stress and strain now?

i am confused which formula should i use?
should i find moment first and then stress or is there any other way?

just tell me the way, not the prog

Physics news on Phys.org
its urgent...
i will be very greatful if someone gives an advice

1. What is the purpose of one dimensional stress, strain, and deflection analysis?

One dimensional stress, strain, and deflection analysis is a method used in engineering to predict the behavior of materials under external loads. It helps determine the amount of stress and strain a material can withstand before failing, as well as the amount of deflection or deformation it will experience.

2. How is one dimensional stress, strain, and deflection analysis performed?

This analysis is typically performed using mathematical equations and formulas, such as Hooke's Law and the moment-area method. These equations take into account the material properties, dimensions, and external loads to calculate the stress, strain, and deflection at various points along the material.

3. What factors affect the results of one dimensional stress, strain, and deflection analysis?

The results of this analysis can be affected by various factors, including the material properties such as elasticity and yield strength, the dimensions and geometry of the material, and the magnitude and direction of the external loads. Additionally, any imperfections or defects in the material can also impact the results.

4. What are the limitations of one dimensional stress, strain, and deflection analysis?

One dimensional analysis is limited in that it assumes the material is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning it has the same properties in all directions. It also does not take into account any changes in material properties due to temperature, time, or other environmental factors.

5. How is one dimensional stress, strain, and deflection analysis used in real-world applications?

This analysis is used in a variety of engineering and design fields, such as civil, mechanical, and aerospace. It can be used to determine the strength and stability of structures, predict the behavior of materials in different load scenarios, and to optimize designs for maximum performance and safety.