One More hard Oscillations Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving an oscillator with a mass of 420 g and a period of 1.00 s. The amplitude of the oscillator decreases by 1.20% during each complete oscillation and the initial amplitude is 8.20 cm. The conversation also mentions using the equation x(t)= Ae^{-bt/2m}cos(\omegat) to find the amplitude and the time at which the energy will be reduced to 18% of its initial value. The conversation ends with discussing how to find the time using the damping coefficient and the energy equation.
mihir871

Homework Statement

An oscillator with a mass of 420 g and a period of 1.00 s has an amplitude that decreases by 1.20% during each complete oscillation.

If the initial amplitude is 8.20 cm, what will be the amplitude after 50.0 oscillations?
If the initial amplitude is 8.20 , what will be the amplitude after 50.0 oscillations?

Homework Equations

x(t)= Ae[tex]^{-bt/2m}[/tex]cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea :(

Physics news on Phys.org
What term in the equation you gave is always making the amplitude smaller as time increases?

Time or the dampening coeffecient?

mihir871 said:
Time or the dampening coeffecient?

Your part of the way there. It is the damping coefficient term. Read my post in your other thread. It may clear some things up on this problem as well.

this doesn't make sense i hate physics :(

Don't give up yet!

Your amplitude starts at a value A and decreases due to the damping. The amplitude at any time then, is given by:

[tex]A(t)=Ae^{-bt/2m}[/tex]

How can you use this equation to find what you are looking for?

i think you can solve for the time but i don't undersand what b would be in this equation

In order to find b you have to use the information for how much A decreases in a certain amount of time. They tell us, in one second, A decreases by 1.2%: We can say this mathematically like so:

A(1)=.012A

But from the equation in my above post, what is A(1) in terms of b? Using these two equations then, you should be able to solve for b.

I got b= -3.7132 but i don't know if that is correct/ makes sense

I get positive 3.7 . I think you just forgot a negative sign somewhere.

ah i see it now, now with this b i find time?

repost sorry

Last edited:
mihir871 said:

Yep that's the plan:smile:

im such an idiot... i got the first part already :\ =4.48cm

i meant this one: At what time will the energy be reduced to 18.0% of its initial value?

mihir871 said:
im such an idiot... i got the first part already :\ =4.48cm

i meant this one: At what time will the energy be reduced to 18.0% of its initial value?

Remember that the energy of a wave is proportional to the amplitude squared. I can't seem to find the actual equation describing that, but it should be simple enough to look up. So, HINT: You want to find the time at which the amplitude is such that it makes the energy 18% of its initial value.

Use the percents like we did above with the amplitude, but this time work with the energy:

[tex].18E_{initial}= E_{at A(t)}[/tex]

Then use this energy to find A. Then, you should be able to find t from A.

Last edited:
mihir871 said:

i got b as well, but how do i find time at this point

Related to One More hard Oscillations Problem

1. What is a "One More Hard Oscillations Problem"?

A "One More Hard Oscillations Problem" is a type of scientific problem that involves the study of oscillations, or repeated back-and-forth motion, in a system that is particularly complex or challenging to analyze. These types of problems often require advanced mathematical and analytical techniques to solve.

2. What are some examples of "One More Hard Oscillations Problems"?

Some examples of "One More Hard Oscillations Problems" include the study of chaotic systems, such as those found in weather patterns or stock market fluctuations, as well as the analysis of coupled oscillators, such as those found in synchronized fireflies. These types of problems can also arise in fields such as quantum mechanics and engineering.

3. Why are "One More Hard Oscillations Problems" important to study?

"One More Hard Oscillations Problems" are important to study because they can provide insights into complex systems and phenomena that may seem unpredictable or chaotic on the surface. By understanding the underlying principles and dynamics of these systems, scientists can make predictions and develop solutions that can have real-world applications, such as improving weather forecasting or designing more efficient structures.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve "One More Hard Oscillations Problems"?

Some common techniques used to solve "One More Hard Oscillations Problems" include mathematical methods such as Fourier analysis, differential equations, and chaos theory. These problems may also require the use of computer simulations and advanced data analysis to fully understand the behavior of the system.

5. How do scientists apply the findings from "One More Hard Oscillations Problems" to real-world situations?

The findings from "One More Hard Oscillations Problems" can be applied to real-world situations through the development of models and simulations that can predict the behavior of complex systems. This can be useful in a wide range of fields, from predicting climate patterns to designing more efficient structures. Additionally, the principles and techniques used to solve these problems can also be applied to other areas of research, leading to further advancements and discoveries.