Proving the One Way Twin Paradox: O' Reads T'>0, K Clock Reads More than T

In summary, the clocks O and O' coincide when they mutually read zero, but when O' reads T'>0, the coincident K clock reads more than T'.
GRDixon
In the following, "G" stands for "gamma". Clocks O and O' coincide when they mutually read zero. POV is that of K'.

Prove: When O' reads T'>0, the coincident K clock reads more than T'.

Proof: When O' reads T', O reads T'/G and O' coincides with K clock at x=GvT'. That clock reads xv/(cc) more than O:

T'/G + GvT'v/(cc) = GT' > T'.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your proof is correct--another way to see it is just to take the event of O' reading T' as having coordinates x'=0, t'=T' in the K' frame and then plug those into the reverse version of the Lorentz transformation, t=G*(t' + vx'/c^2) which gives t=GT' in the K frame. But why do you consider this a paradox? In the K' frame, this clock was still ticking slower than O' the whole time, it's just that it started out reading more than 0 at t'=0. In fact, at t'=0 it must have read GT' - T'/G, so that it did tick forward by T'/G between t'=0 and t'=T'. You can check this using the Lorentz transformation--if we plug in x'=vT' (the position of this clock at t'=0), t'=0 into the reverse version of the Lorentz transformation we get t=GT'*(v^2/c^2), and you can see that GT' - T'/G = GT'*(1 - 1/G^2) = GT'*(1 - (1 - v^2/c^2)) = GT'*(v^2/c^2).

Last edited:
JesseM said:
Your proof is correct--another way to see it is just to take the event of O' reading T' as having coordinates x'=0, t'=T' in the K' frame and then plug those into the reverse version of the Lorentz transformation, t=G*(t' + vx'/c^2) which gives t=GT' in the K frame. But why do you consider this a paradox? In the K' frame, this clock was still ticking slower than O' the whole time, it's just that it started out reading more than 0 at t'=0. In fact, at t'=0 it must have read GT' - T'/G, so that it did tick forward by T'/G between t'=0 and t'=T'. You can check this using the Lorentz transformation--if we plug in x'=vT' (the position of this clock at t'=0), t'=0 into the reverse version of the Lorentz transformation we get t=GT'*(v^2/c^2), and you can see that GT' - T'/G = GT'*(1 - 1/G^2) = GT'*(1 - (1 - v^2/c^2)) = GT'*(v^2/c^2).
A very nice analysis. And of course the Lorentz Xform is always the preferred way to go. It was just that I read about the K clock at x=vT reading more than the K origin clock (from the K' POV) in Griffiths "Intro to ElecDyn." And I wanted to "exercise the idea," so to speak. I would think that, so long as a K' observer remains at rest in K', then the idea of the twin "paradox" applies. If I were to take such a trip, however, I'd probably always switch back to K for my rest frame, at trip's conclusion, and realize that (a) the K origin clock really WAS synchronized with the adjacent K clock at x=vT, and (b) my twin back at the origin really WAS older than I. Bottom line: Same Old Same Old. If I had a dollar for every time this so-called paradox has been discussed in the literature ... Ya Hoo! Thanks for the alternate POV.

1. What is the One Way Twin Paradox?

The One Way Twin Paradox is a thought experiment in which one twin stays on Earth while the other travels at near the speed of light to a distant location and back. According to the theory of relativity, time will pass slower for the traveling twin, causing them to age less than the twin who stayed on Earth. However, due to the one-way nature of the trip, the twin who stayed on Earth may argue that they are actually the one who traveled and therefore should have aged less.

2. What does "O' Reads T'>0" mean in the statement?

"O' Reads T'>0" refers to the measurement of time, in which the apostrophe (') indicates the time for the traveling twin and the T represents the time for the stationary twin. The symbol ">" means "greater than," indicating that the time for the traveling twin is greater than the time for the stationary twin.

3. How does the K Clock Reads More than T in the statement support the One Way Twin Paradox?

In the statement, "K" represents the clock on the traveling twin's spaceship and "T" represents the clock on the stationary twin's Earth. The fact that the K clock reads more than the T clock supports the One Way Twin Paradox because it shows that time has passed more slowly for the traveling twin, as predicted by the theory of relativity.

4. How can the One Way Twin Paradox be proven?

To prove the One Way Twin Paradox, we can use the equations and principles of special relativity to calculate the exact difference in time between the traveling twin and the stationary twin. This can be done by considering the relative velocities, distances, and time intervals involved in the thought experiment.

5. What are the implications of proving the One Way Twin Paradox?

If the One Way Twin Paradox is proven, it would provide further evidence for the theory of relativity and our understanding of the nature of time. It would also have practical applications in fields such as space travel and GPS technology, which both rely on the principles of relativity to function accurately.