Solving Force on a Pulley: Calculating Ceiling Force

In summary, a crate with weight W is being lifted by a rope over a frictionless pulley, with an upward acceleration equal to one-half the magnitude of acceleration due to gravity. The mass of the rope and pulley are negligible. Using F=ma, the force of the ceiling on the pulley is equal to 3W.
pewpew23

Homework Statement

A crate with a weight of W is being lifted with an upward acceleration equal to one-half the magnitude of acceleration due to gravity. The crate is being lifted by a rope that passes over a frictionless pulley connected at the ceiling as shown in the drawing. The mass of the rope and the pulley are negligible. What force does the ceiling apply to the pulley?

A) W
B) 3/2 W
C) [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex]3/2 W
D) 3W
E) 4W

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

the force the pulley applies on the ceiling is equal and opposite to the force the ceiling applies to the pulley. But just using F=ma, and plugging in (-9.79/2)(W) equals 4.9W
Am I looking at this problem wrong, or missing something? Do I need to include the force of gravity pulling down on the pulley somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the correct answer is by chance?

No, I don't have the correct answer.

I'm not entirely sure if this is correct but I'll throw it out there:

I'm going to write W in its "uglier" form for now (as simply mg).

F = ma so,

T - mg = ma, where a = g/2 so,

T = mg + (mg)/2

T = m(3/2g) since W = mg then,

T = 3/2W

ohhh... I had a feeling I had to include the full force of gravity in there. Thanks for your help!
I have a couple more questions left... is there any chance you could help me with those as well? I completely understand if that is asking for too much :)

You've got to draw free body diagrams. Isolate the crate and examine the forces, known and unknown, acting on it, then apply Newton 2 to solve for the unknown force. Note that the tension in the rope on each side of an ideal pulley are equal. Then isolate the pulley to solve for the ceiling force on it, using one of Newton's laws, and see what you get for an answer. NOTE: if you have more questions unrelated to this topic, please post them under a separate post.

If it's not part of this question then simply post another thread and I (along with several others) would be glad to help you.

jegues said:
I'm not entirely sure if this is correct but I'll throw it out there:

I'm going to write W in its "uglier" form for now (as simply mg).

F = ma so,

T - mg = ma, where a = g/2 so,

T = mg + (mg)/2

T = m(3/2g) since W = mg then,

T = 3/2W
That's not quite correct, T and the ceiling force are not the same. Without a drawing, I'm assuming that the rope makes a 180 degree around the pulley, is this correct?

I'm trying to imagine what forces would be exerted on the pulley after we've figured out the tension in the rope. We know its accelerating upward but it still has to have some fraction of the weight of the box weighing down on the pulley.

Could you toss another hint perhaps?

jegues said:
I'm trying to imagine what forces would be exerted on the pulley after we've figured out the tension in the rope. We know its accelerating upward but it still has to have some fraction of the weight of the box weighing down on the pulley.

Could you toss another hint perhaps?
If the downward tension on one side of the pulley is 3W/2, then the tension pulling down on the other side of the pulley must also be 3W/2. Now draw the free body of the pulley and note the 2 forces acting downward, and the ceiling force acting upward, and note that the pulley isn't moving up or down, so now solve for the force of the ceiling on the pulley.

If the downward tension on one side of the pulley is 3W/2, then the tension pulling down on the other side of the pulley must also be 3W/2. Now draw the free body of the pulley and note the 2 forces acting downward, and the ceiling force acting upward, and note that the pulley isn't moving up or down, so now solve for the force of the ceiling on the pulley.

3W, thank you for clarifying that.

1. What is the equation used to calculate ceiling force on a pulley?

The equation used to calculate ceiling force on a pulley is F = (m1 + m2) * g, where F is the ceiling force, m1 is the mass of one object, m2 is the mass of the other object, and g is the gravitational acceleration.

2. How do I determine the direction of the ceiling force on a pulley?

The direction of the ceiling force on a pulley can be determined by looking at the direction of the force being applied on the objects on either side of the pulley. The ceiling force will act in the opposite direction of the larger force being applied on the objects.

3. Can the angle of the rope affect the calculation of ceiling force on a pulley?

Yes, the angle of the rope can affect the calculation of ceiling force on a pulley. The force applied on the objects will be divided into horizontal and vertical components, and the vertical component will contribute to the calculation of ceiling force. The larger the angle, the smaller the vertical component and therefore the smaller the ceiling force.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation for ceiling force on a pulley?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation for ceiling force on a pulley. These include friction in the pulley, the weight of the pulley itself, and the elasticity of the rope. These factors should be taken into consideration when performing the calculation.

5. Is it possible for the ceiling force on a pulley to be greater than the weight of the objects?

Yes, it is possible for the ceiling force on a pulley to be greater than the weight of the objects. This can occur if the objects are being accelerated upwards or if there is an external force being applied in the same direction as the ceiling force. In this case, the equation for ceiling force will need to be modified to account for the additional force.