Find Focal Length of Lens When Moving From 20cm to 15cm

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the movement of a lens towards an object and the resulting magnification of the image. The focal length of the lens is also brought up as a factor that affects this relationship. The person asking for help is reminded of the forum rules about providing assistance with homework problems.
Euler_Euclid
If a lens is moved towards the object from a distance of 20cm to 15cm, the magnification of the image remains the same. What is the focal length of the lens?

Sorry I am new here so please forgive me if I have violated any rules.:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Euler_Euclid said:
If a lens is moved towards the object from a distance of 20cm to 15cm, the magnification of the image remains the same. What is the focal length of the lens?

Hi Euler_Euclid! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: what equations do you know that apply to distance, magnification, and focal length? :wink:

Can you please help me a little more?

Euler_Euclid said:
Can you please help me a little more?

oh come on …

you must know some equation about lenses … :smile:

Euler_Euclid said:
Sorry I am new here so please forgive me if I have violated any rules.:cry:

FYI:

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

More at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

OK Sorry. I got it now!

Thanks.

What is the formula for finding the focal length of a lens?

The formula for finding the focal length of a lens is f = (u*v)/(u+v), where f is the focal length, u is the object distance, and v is the image distance.

How do I measure the object and image distances for this calculation?

The object distance can be measured by placing the object (such as a candle or an object with distinct markings) in front of the lens and measuring the distance from the object to the lens. The image distance can be measured by focusing the lens and measuring the distance from the lens to the image formed on a screen or surface.

Why is it important to know the focal length of a lens?

The focal length of a lens determines the magnification and the size of the image produced by the lens. It is important to know the focal length in order to properly use and position the lens for desired results.

What units are used to measure focal length?

The focal length is typically measured in millimeters (mm) or centimeters (cm). However, it can also be measured in meters (m) or even inches (in) depending on the scale of the lens being used.

Can the focal length of a lens change?

Yes, the focal length of a lens can change depending on the distance between the lens and the object or image. In this case, the focal length is changing from 20cm to 15cm as the lens is moved closer to the object. However, the focal length of a lens is a fixed value for a specific lens and cannot be altered without physically changing the lens itself.