Creating a Language for an Optical Computing System

In summary: I seriously, seriously doubt that. Engineers and scientists have yet to create a commercially viable optical transistor, so the chances of someone in high school doing so are essentially zero.
Alexi-dono
lets say someone had an idea for a fully optical computer; that had a optical cubic processor, that refracted and reflected signals. into a optical "motherboard" (except it was not a flat board, more of a rectangle), how would one go about writing a language for such a thing (lets say a base 8 system RBYGOPWB)?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Why would the language be any different? It's either going to be sequential or parallel like today's cpu architectures. We have language features that handle both of these today.

To my understanding, all of those languages eventually break down into bits. My question is: how would you implement a bit system, into a medium that has more than 2 possibilities (yes I know about Q-bits, but that does not work with photons(at least I have not seen evidence of it)); if I was going to use a modern computing language.

So this is why I'm biased toward having new language.

This is what I have so far, for principals...
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1fmve0dVWO4at6Mjdp_ClUSZpmevtqq5RL9ljLGuEneE/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
For computing to occur, one need to design Logic Gates, eg AND, OR, XOR,... etc, from these optical components. Some digitization may be needed. What's your thought about that?

Another difficulty is, I doubt light color can be easily used as a signal carrier, since different color of light has different speed in a medium, and aberration/dispersion would be observed in the course of time.

Just my random 2 cents.

I hypothesize that all the logic gates could be made by; different combinations of refraction, and reflection. As for each band of light having different speeds, that is not necessarily a bad thing. My personal end goal with this; is to try to create a mechanism that functions like a human brain, except with light as the signal carrier. So I knew when I started this it would be both complicated, and impractical at times... Also each band of light is a different signal, this it why I said roygbpbw are base units...

Alexi-dono said:
I hypothesize that all the logic gates could be made by; different combinations of refraction, and reflection. As for each band of light having different speeds, that is not necessarily a bad thing. My personal end goal with this; is to try to create a mechanism that functions like a human brain, except with light as the signal carrier. So I knew when I started this it would be both complicated, and impractical at times... Also each band of light is a different signal, this it why I said roygbpbw are base units...

We generally don't allow personal speculation and personal theory development on the PF. We prefer to discuss the state of the art and potential next steps. What have you read in the mainstream literature so far about "Optical Computing"? There's quite a bit of good information out there, based on real science...

berkeman said:
We generally don't allow personal speculation and personal theory development on the PF. We prefer to discuss the state of the art and potential next steps. What have you read in the mainstream literature so far about "Optical Computing"? There's quite a bit of good information out there, based on real science...
I'm sorry...
Drakkith said:
Have you read this article yet? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_computing
Yes I have read it, and I looked into a lot of other sources. I think I have enough to begin designs now...

Alexi-dono said:
Yes I have read it, and I looked into a lot of other sources. I think I have enough to begin designs now...

How do you plan to do the actual computing? Modern computers use transistors as the basic building block of almost all other components. What are you planning to use?

Drakkith said:
How do you plan to do the actual computing? Modern computers use transistors as the basic building block of almost all other components. What are you planning to use?

Are optical transistors not yet a thing? I know they're highly experimental, but the Wiki article makes me unsure if you can even call them real yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_transistor

How I solved the transistor problem is a secret that I intend to keep, all I will say is that the pieces are there if you know what to look for... Can anyone suggest a good 3D modeling software; that can handle massive loads?

Last edited:
Alexi-dono said:
How I solved the transistor problem is a secret that I intend to keep, all I will say is that the pieces are there if you know what to look for... Can anyone suggest a good 3D modeling software; that can handle massive loads?

I seriously, seriously doubt that. Engineers and scientists have yet to create a commercially viable optical transistor, so the chances of someone in high school doing so are essentially zero. Thread locked.

Likes berkeman

What is optical computing?

Optical computing is a form of computing that uses light instead of electricity to perform operations. This allows for faster processing speeds and lower energy consumption compared to traditional electronic computers.

How does optical computing work?

Optical computing uses light beams to represent and manipulate data. These beams are directed through optical components such as lenses and mirrors, and can be manipulated using techniques such as diffraction and interference to perform operations.

What are the advantages of optical computing?

Optical computing offers several advantages over traditional electronic computing, including faster processing speeds, lower energy consumption, and higher data storage capacity. It also has the potential to overcome the limitations of Moore's Law, which predicts the slowing down of traditional electronic computing as technology advances.

What are the challenges of optical computing?

One of the major challenges of optical computing is the development of reliable and efficient optical components and devices. Another challenge is the integration of optical computing with traditional electronic systems, as well as the development of software and algorithms that can use light-based data processing.

What are the potential applications of optical computing?

Optical computing has the potential to revolutionize fields such as data processing, artificial intelligence, and cryptography. It can also improve the performance of technologies such as telecommunications, imaging, and sensing. Additionally, optical computing has the potential to enable the development of quantum computers, which could solve complex problems at a much faster rate than traditional computers.