Why do we see 2 waves in interference instead of 3 or 4?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of interference and why we often consider only two waves interfering instead of three or more. The speaker explains that while it is possible to consider more than two waves, it depends on the situation and often we use two waves because it is easier to calculate. They also mention that in more detailed analysis, we would consider the entire group of waves from each source.
prashantgolu
why do we see 2waves when we consider interference ?why not three or four?eg when we find out conditions formaxima we look for condition when 2 waves interefere...why not 3?

Science news on Phys.org
It's certainly possible to consider more than two waves interfering. In my optics course I cover examples such as multiple-slit interference. And any diffraction situation (e.g. single-slit diffraction) is basically an infinite number of waves superposing together, which you analyze by integration rather than by simple addition.

what i meant is that we calculate the condition for maxima by taking 2 waves interefering but if we do by 3 waves then surely answer will be different...so why do we do by taking 2 waves

It depends on the situation. If there are 2 waves present, we calculate using 2 waves. If 3 waves are present, we must use all 3 waves.

If you are referring to physics homework problems, we use 2 waves because that is easier to calculate and we want you to learn the basic principle by doing simpler calculations.

sorry i couldn't get you people to make it simple i was saying that we find net intensity at a point by finding net intensity between 2 waves why not threee why are we breaking waves in pairs why not in 3 waves in a group?

prashantgolu said:
sorry i couldn't get you people to make it simple i was saying that we find net intensity at a point by finding net intensity between 2 waves why not threee why are we breaking waves in pairs why not in 3 waves in a group?

Hello prashantgolu,I think you are confusing "two waves" with "two sources".In the simplest analysis of the Youngs fringe experiment we might,for example,consider just two waves only,one from each source, to find the position of the maxima caused by these two waves.There is,however, a whole group of waves from each source and a more detailed analysis which accounts for the intensity variation across the maxima and minima would consider these whole group of waves.If there were three sources there would be three groups of waves and so on.

thank u

1. What is optics interference?

Optics interference is a phenomenon in which two or more light waves interact with each other and either amplify or cancel each other out. This can result in the formation of patterns of light and dark areas, known as interference patterns.

2. How does interference occur in optics?

Interference occurs when two or more light waves interact with each other at the same location and time. This can happen when light passes through narrow slits, reflects off of a thin film, or is diffracted by a grating.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two light waves have the same wavelength and are in phase, meaning their peaks and troughs align. This results in a brighter and more intense light. Destructive interference occurs when two light waves are out of phase, resulting in a cancellation of the light and a darker area.

4. What is the significance of interference in optics?

Interference plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light. It allows scientists to study the properties of light, such as its wavelength and polarization. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of optical devices like lenses and mirrors.

5. How is the interference pattern affected by different wavelengths of light?

The interference pattern is affected by the difference in wavelength between the two light waves. When the difference in wavelength is small, the pattern will have closely spaced fringes. When the difference is large, the pattern will have widely spaced fringes. This can be seen in the famous double-slit experiment, where white light produces a continuous spectrum of colors due to the different wavelengths of light interfering with each other.