Understanding the Mirror Formula: Actual Measurements vs Sign Convention

In summary: If you ignore the signs, the equations will not make sense. Except where the signs are all positive, of course.How could you possibly think that the signs were not vital?Because we have already used the signs in the derivation, and treated v,f,u.etc. as modulus of distances!
Ashu2912
In the derivation of the mirror and magnification formula, v, u and f represent image distance, object distance and focal length resp. While deriving, we take v,u and f as the actual measurements of distances, apply sign convention to these, and come to the mirror formula. Thus, in the mirror formula, v,u and f must represent the actual measurements. Then, in numericals, why do we replace v,u and f with the signs and why not consider them as the magnitudes of distances only?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but I don't really understand the question. The signs are needed to distinguish real and virtual images (and objects). In all cases, v, u, and f represent actual distances.

Doc Al said:
I'm sorry, but I don't really understand the question. The signs are needed to distinguish real and virtual images (and objects). In all cases, v, u, and f represent actual distances.

I mean that we derive the relation between the distances, substitute these distances with v, u, f, h.etc. with signs, for eg. -v, -u, +f, -h.etc. Thus, v, u, f.etc. represent the magnitude of distances like 25cm, 35cm, rather than -25cm or +35cm.etc., as we have substituted them with the signs in the equation and then derived the mirror formula. But, in numericals, in mirror formula application, we represent v, u, f.etc. with +25cm or -35 cm, i.e. with signs. This is what I mean...

I think the reason for using signs is that, in a situation with non-plane mirrors, the final image may be either side of the mirror. Whatever sign convention you use (I did some geometric optics about 100 yrs ago and I remember two others, in additional to the 'schoolboy' one), as long as you stick to it, you will get the right answer. But you can't avoid signs - implicit or explicit.

sophiecentaur said:
as long as you stick to it, you will get the right answer. But you can't avoid signs - implicit or explicit.
True, I too use signs and get the answer in numericals. But is it valid if we avoid them and treat v,u,f.etc. as modulus of the distances?

Ashu2912 said:
True, I too use signs and get the answer in numericals. But is it valid if we avoid them and treat v,u,f.etc. as modulus of the distances?
If you ignore the signs, the equations will not make sense. Except where the signs are all positive, of course.

How could you possibly think that the signs were not vital?

Because we have already used the signs in the derivation, and treated v,f,u.etc. as modulus of distances!

1. What is the mirror formula?

The mirror formula is an equation that relates the distance of an object from the mirror (u), the distance of the image from the mirror (v), and the focal length of the mirror (f). It is expressed as 1/u + 1/v = 1/f.

2. How is the mirror formula derived?

The mirror formula is derived from the laws of reflection and the geometry of a spherical mirror. It can also be derived using the thin lens formula, since a spherical mirror can be considered as a thin lens with a very large radius of curvature.

3. What is the significance of the mirror formula?

The mirror formula is significant because it allows us to calculate the position and size of an image formed by a spherical mirror. This is useful in designing optical instruments such as telescopes, microscopes, and cameras.

4. Can the mirror formula be applied to all types of mirrors?

No, the mirror formula is only applicable to spherical mirrors, which have a curved surface. It cannot be used for flat mirrors or mirrors with non-spherical shapes.

5. Is the mirror formula affected by the type of material used for the mirror?

No, the mirror formula is independent of the type of material used for the mirror. It only depends on the shape and curvature of the mirror.