What is the Refractive Index for Total Internal Reflection in a 45-45-90 Prism?

In summary, the question asks for the minimum index of refraction a 45-45-90 prism must have in order to completely reflect a ray of light incident normally on one of its faces. After some confusion and errors, it is determined that the minimum index of refraction is 1.88, assuming the light is traveling from water (n=1.33) to the prism.
Cummings
The Question:
A 45-45-90 prism is immersed in water. What is the minimum index or fefraction the prism must have if it is to reflect totaly a ray incident normally on one of its faces.

Now, we have found this question a bit hard to understand.
We assume that light is hitting one of the sides at 90 degrees (normally) and so will pass into the prism without refraction. Thus, it hits the other side of the prism at an angle of incidence of 45 degrees.

This is where we get stuck, we are assuming that it is totaly internaly reflecting and by using snells law nSin(45) = Sin(90) we find that n, the refractive index of the prism is 1.88

This complies with
the fact that to be totaly internaly reflected the light must travel from a high refractive index (1.88) to a low refractive index (1 for air)

If we are on the right track, please let us know!

Physics news on Phys.org
Cummings said:
This is where we get stuck, we are assuming that it is totaly internaly reflecting and by using snells law nSin(45) = Sin(90) we find that n, the refractive index of the prism is 1.88
You didn't get n=1.88 using that equation. I assume you meant to write Snell's law as: [itex]n_1 sin\theta_1 = n_2 sin\theta_2[/itex]. And, yes, the critical angle is found by setting [itex]\theta_2 = 90[/itex].

This complies with
the fact that to be totaly internaly reflected the light must travel from a high refractive index (1.88) to a low refractive index (1 for air)
If you assumed going from n=1.88 to air (n=1) I am very curious how you got your answer. (The prism is immersed in water, not air.)

Cummings said:

If we are on the right track, please let us know!

I think it should be n1*Sin(45) = n2*sin(90), not nSin(45) = Sin(90)

which is

n1*sin(45) = 1.333
n1 = 1.333/sin 45

n1 is approx 1.88

Yes, i made a few erros in that post. Had to make it to the next class of uni.

Yes, the prism is in water. relinquished managed to type in what i failed to. He got the same answer to.

I just for some reason replaced water with air when i typed this up.

So, would 1.88 be the minumum index of refraction?

Cummings said:
I just for some reason replaced water with air when i typed this up.
I knew you must have, since your answer was correct.

So, would 1.88 be the minumum index of refraction?
Yep.

1. What is the definition of refractive index?

The refractive index is a measure of how much light bends when passing through a material. It is the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

2. How is the refractive index related to total internal reflection?

The refractive index plays a crucial role in total internal reflection. When light travels from a material with a higher refractive index to a material with a lower refractive index, the light will bend away from the normal. If the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, total internal reflection will occur.

3. What is the critical angle for total internal reflection in a 45-45-90 prism?

The critical angle is the angle of incidence at which total internal reflection will occur. In a 45-45-90 prism, the critical angle can be calculated using the formula: sin-1(n2/n1), where n1 is the refractive index of the first material and n2 is the refractive index of the second material.

4. How does the refractive index of the prism affect the angle of total internal reflection?

The refractive index of the prism determines the critical angle for total internal reflection. A higher refractive index will result in a smaller critical angle, meaning that the light will have to be incident at a smaller angle in order for total internal reflection to occur.

5. Can the refractive index be greater than 1?

Yes, the refractive index can be greater than 1. In fact, most materials have a refractive index greater than 1, as light typically travels slower in materials than it does in a vacuum. The only material with a refractive index of exactly 1 is a vacuum.