Optics - Two lenses touching each other with oil inbetween

In summary, the problem involves two plano-convex lenses with radii of curvature 15 cm, with an oil layer of refractive index 1.65 in between. The focal length of each lens is calculated using the Lens Maker Equation, and then the equivalent focal length is found by treating each lens separately and using the equation 1/feq=1/f1+1/f2+1/f3. The final answer is -50 cm.
Xyius

Homework Statement

Two identical, thin, plano-convex lenses with radii of curvature of 15 cm are situated with their curved surfaces in contact at their centers. The intervening space is filled with oil of refractive index 1.65. The index of the glass is 1.50. Determine the focal length of the combination. (Hint: Think f the oil layer as an intermediate thin lens.)

Homework Equations

The Lens Maker Equation
[tex]\frac{1}{f}=\frac{n_2-n_1}{n_1}\left(\frac{1}{R_1}-\frac{1}{R_2}\right)[/tex]

Where [itex]R_1[/itex] and [itex]R_2[/itex] are the radii of curvature for each surface on the lens, and the n's are the respective refractive indexes of the lens and the outside medium.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first lens is plano-convex lens. The first surface it goes through is the plane, then it travels to the spherical side. The radius of curvature for the plane is infinity and the radius of curvature for the curved side is -15cm. (Negative because from left to right it is a concave lens.) Plugging it into the equation above (And plugging in 1.5 for n2 and 1 for n1.) I get f=30cm.

For the second "lens" it is the layer of oil which acts as a bi-concave lens. Using the lens makers equation again with R1=R2=15cm, and R1<0 because it is concave from left to right and R2>0 because it is convex from left to right. Plugging all this in (and plugging 1.65 for n2 and 1.5 for n1) I get f=-75cm.

For the last lens, it is again a plano-convex lens. The first surface it goes through is the curved side with R1=15cm (Positive because it is convex from left to right), and the second surface is a plane right R2=infinity. Plugging this in (and plugging n1=1.5 and n2=1.65) I get f=-45cm.

So I am guessing I need to sum all of these up, I get f=-90cm. The answer in the back of the book says -60 cm! What am I doing wrong? :(??

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me on this one??

I have the same problem and have reached the same solution, except my book says -50cm in the back : /

what is this right answer 50 or 60
i have this question also

It is 50. The trick is to treat each lens separately as it is in air. And the equivalent focal distance is

[tex]\frac{1}{f_{eq}}=\frac{1}{f_1}+\frac{1}{f_2}+\frac{1}{f_3}[/tex]

Sorry I forgot to post the solution when I figured it out!

i get the solution if you still want i can send it
waiting your answer

consider the three media as a squence of three thin lenses. each has a focal length given by the lensmaker's equation, and the equivalent focal lenth is

1/feq=1/f1+1/f2+1/f3

then
1/f1=(1.5-1)(1/∞-1/(-15))

f1=30 cm

1/f2=(1.65-1)(1/(-15)-1/15

f2=-150/3

f1=f3=30 cm

then

1/feq= 1/30 + (-13)/150 +1/ 30

so feq=-50 cm

1. How does the oil affect the optics of the two lenses?

The oil acts as a medium between the two lenses, allowing them to be in close contact without damaging each other. It also helps to reduce any air gaps or imperfections between the lenses, resulting in clearer and sharper images.

2. What type of oil is best for this application?

The best type of oil to use is a high refractive index oil, such as immersion oil. This type of oil has a similar refractive index to glass, which minimizes any distortion or aberrations in the image.

3. Can the oil between the lenses be replaced with another substance?

Yes, there are other substances that can be used between the two lenses, such as water or glycerin. However, these substances may not provide the same level of clarity and precision as immersion oil.

4. What is the purpose of having two lenses touching each other with oil inbetween?

This setup is commonly used in microscopy and optical instruments to increase magnification and improve image quality. By bringing the lenses closer together, the image can be magnified without increasing the physical size of the lenses.

5. Is there a limit to the thickness of the oil between the lenses?

The thickness of the oil between the lenses should be kept as thin as possible, ideally less than a millimeter. This ensures that the oil does not affect the optical properties of the lenses and does not introduce any distortions in the image.