Optimizing Surface Area for Cornflakes Box Design

In summary: Thanks for the comments guys :)It may be the "golgen" ratio but it certainly isn't the "golden ratio".
chemical
I have been given a problem of taking an object (I used a Cornflakes Box) and finding the optimal surface area compared to its volume (volume and ratio between sides constant)

I got:

Cornflakes Box :
Length = 25cm
Height = 36 cm
Width = 9 cm

Optimal Surface area box:
Length = 17.3 cm
Height = 43.28 cm
Width = 10.82

Overall a 90cm^2 difference in surface area.

Now I have to explain why Cornflakes would make a box with a greater surface area, thus costing more. Please help :confused:

The teacher also said something about the Golden Ratio, but i can't see any relation to this in the dimensions

Physics news on Phys.org
Some ideas. (I don't know the real answer.)

Is the Corn Flakes box
  • just right for the average [child's] hand to hold?
  • more stable against tipping over?
  • better for packing/tiling?
    (Interesting: http://www.scamecanica.com/qpm/examples/ )
  • better for occupying more advertising space on your grocer's shelf?

I'm going to go with door #2 robphy.

Ill give you the golden ratio: 1:1:1 (a CUbe)

Waht don't you get about which one would cost more. The box with the larger surface ares costs more. Its that simple.

But who wants to pour cereal out of a cube-- plus its built into the mind of the consumer that that is the shape. It has all to deal with appeal to the consumer.

Nenad said:
Ill give you the golden ratio: 1:1:1 (a CUbe)

Waht don't you get about which one would cost more. The box with the larger surface ares costs more. Its that simple.

No, that is not the golden ratio. And if you had read the original post, the question was WHY would the cereal makers use a box that cost more. You appear to be saying that cereal makers use a box with more area BECAUSE it costs more. Do you really think they enjoy paying more money?

HallsofIvy said:
No, that is not the golden ratio. And if you had read the original post, the question was WHY would the cereal makers use a box that cost more. You appear to be saying that cereal makers use a box with more area BECAUSE it costs more. Do you really think they enjoy paying more money?
the golgen ratio IS 1:1:1. The only reason the companies don't make it this is because of appeal, advertisement and other factors.

Nenad said:
the golgen ratio IS 1:1:1. The only reason the companies don't make it this is because of appeal, advertisement and other factors.
1:1:1 is the optimal ratio, not the golden ratio. Thanks for the comments guys :)

Nenad said:

It may be the "golgen" ratio but it certainly isn't the "golden ratio".

1. What is optimisation question?

Optimisation question is a problem-solving approach that involves finding the best solution for a given set of constraints or objectives. It is commonly used in various fields such as mathematics, engineering, computer science, and economics.

2. What are the different types of optimisation?

There are several types of optimisation, including linear optimisation, nonlinear optimisation, dynamic programming, integer programming, and stochastic optimisation. Each type has its own techniques and algorithms for solving specific problems.

3. How is optimisation used in real-world scenarios?

Optimisation is used in a wide range of real-world scenarios, such as resource allocation, production planning, transportation and logistics, investment portfolio management, and scheduling. It helps businesses and organizations make data-driven decisions to improve efficiency and maximize profits.

4. What skills are needed to solve optimisation problems?

To solve optimisation problems, one needs to have a strong background in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and statistics. Additionally, knowledge of computer programming and problem-solving skills are essential for implementing algorithms and interpreting results.

5. What are some common tools and software used for optimisation?

Some commonly used tools and software for optimisation include Excel Solver, MATLAB, Gurobi, CPLEX, and R programming. These tools provide a user-friendly interface and powerful algorithms for solving a wide range of optimisation problems.