Thermodynamics: Heating a Rectangular Box

In summary, the question is about the rate of heat supply needed to maintain the same inside temperature on a cold day for two neighboring rectangular houses of different sizes. The larger house, with twice the length, width, and height, has a volume of 8 times that of the smaller house. The answer is B, 4 times the rate, because heat is radiated proportionally to the surface area of the walls, not the volume. This is also true for heating a room, where the volume may play a role in heating the air, but the walls and other surfaces also need to be heated.
spockjones20

Homework Statement

This question is from a thermodynamics test from a previous science olympiad competition that I am using to study from for a future test.
"Consider two neighboring rectangular houses built from the same materials. One of the houses has twice the length, width, and height of the other. Under identical climatic conditions, what would be true about the rate that heat would have to be supplied to maintain the same inside temperature on a cold day? Compared to the small house, the larger house would need heat supplied at:
A.) twice the rate
B.) 4 times the rate
C.) 16 times the rate
D.) 8 times the rate

Homework Equations

Volume of small box = l*w*h
Volume of large box = 2l*2w*2h = 8(l*w*h)
I honestly do not know if any other equations need apply here, being new to thermo I thought that it would just be a ratio of the volumes

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the answer should be D, 8 times the rate because the volume of the larger box is 8 times that of the smaller box. However, the test has the answer of B, four times the rate. I am not sure if this is a mistake in the key or if there is another equation that I should be using. Help is very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How does heat escape a house? What route does it take?

Well I am assuming it does not go through the floor, so that might get taken out. Heat rises, so would I focus on only the height aspect?

The heat radiated is proportional to the surface area of the walls, so the answer is B.

fortissimo said:
The heat radiated is proportional to the surface area of the walls, so the answer is B.
Quite so, but the preferred style on these forums is to guide people into figuring things out for themselves, not just providing the answer.

Ok this makes sense. So if they asked about heating a room, instead of maintaining a heat, would the volume play a bigger role? I can see how the loss refers to the surface area now, since it would not be lost from the inside of the box (the volume). Thank you

spockjones20 said:
Ok this makes sense. So if they asked about heating a room, instead of maintaining a heat, would the volume play a bigger role?
If you mean heating it up from a lower temperature, yes, but even then perhaps not such a great role. Warming a room involves heating the air, but also the walls etc.

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, work, energy, and temperature. It is a fundamental concept in understanding how energy is transferred and transformed within a system.

2. How does heating a rectangular box work?

Heating a rectangular box involves the transfer of energy in the form of heat from a source, such as a heating element, to the box. The heat then spreads throughout the box, raising the temperature of the air and objects inside.

3. What is the purpose of heating a rectangular box?

Heating a rectangular box can serve several purposes, such as keeping food warm, drying or curing materials, or creating a controlled environment for experiments or processes. It can also be used to increase the temperature of a room or space.

4. How does thermodynamics apply to heating a rectangular box?

Thermodynamics principles, such as the laws of thermodynamics, apply to heating a rectangular box because it involves the transfer and transformation of energy. These laws dictate how heat is transferred and how it affects the temperature and properties of the system.

5. What factors affect the heating of a rectangular box?

The rate at which a rectangular box heats up depends on several factors, including the temperature difference between the box and the heat source, the thermal conductivity of the box material, and the size and shape of the box. Other factors such as insulation, air flow, and surrounding temperature can also play a role in the heating process.