1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Optimization - gothic window

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a gothic window it to be built with 6 segments that total 6m in length. The window must fit inside an area that is 1m wide and 3 meters tall. the triangle on top must be equilateral. What is the maximum area of the window.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i made each of the sides of the trianle x and the width at the bottom of the rectangle x, then the sides of the rectangle equal to y. so the perimeter is 6=4x+2y
    and the area A=1/2xh + xy
    the height of the triangle would be 3-y wouldnt it? because then i plugged that in for h, and then isolated for y in the perimeter equation and plugged in y where it was necessary but i didnt get the right answer in the end after i got the derivative

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't know h=3-y. Given your perimeter constraint the maximum area window might not touch all sides of the 1m by 3m area. All you really know is that x<=1 and y+h<=3. What is true that h is related to x just because x is the side of an equilateral triangle and h is the height.

4. Mar 30, 2010 #3
    I'm assuming your shape is like this?

Code (Text):

[u]/\[/u]
    |_|

Since the top has to be an equilateral triangle you know that 3 segments have to be equal (if the base of the triangle counts as a segment). Then you have 3 segments left over to play with (the sides below the triangle and the base of the window)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook