Optimization of the Area of a Triangle

In summary, the area of the largest isosceles triangle that can be inscribed in a circle of radius 4 can be found by expressing the sides of the triangle in terms of θ and using the formula A = 1/2 (bh), where b is the base and h is the height. By using trigonometric functions, the height can be expressed as 4 + 4cos(2θ) and the base as 4sin(2θ). The area can then be expressed as 8cos(2θ)sin(2θ). By taking the derivative of this formula and setting it to 0, we can find the maximum area to be 12√3 when θ =
reigner617

Homework Statement

Find the area of the largest isosceles triangle that can be inscribed in a circle of radius 4. Solve by writing the area as a function of θ
upload_2014-10-6_15-43-49.png

Homework Equations

A=1/2 (bh)

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the side h and the hypotenuse 4, we can find the base of the smallest triangle to be sqrt(16-h2) which means that the base of the largest triangle is 2(sqrt(16-h2)). Its height can be considered as h+4, which would give a side length of sqrt(8h+32). So the area would be:
sqrt(16-h2)(h+4). However, they want it to be solved in terms of theta, which is the part that I am not sure of.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you express h in terms of theta? express the sides of the triangle in terms of theta.

for convenience, I'll say c= sqrt(8h+32). Would it be correct if I said the height was c(sinθ) and the base of the largest triangle 2c(cosθ)?

I don't know where you got ##c = \sqrt{8h+32}##. It would help if you labeled your picture. If you note that the angle between the two sides that you have labeled ##4## and ##h## is ##2\theta## that will help you get the two legs of that little right triangle in terms of ##\theta##.

LCKurtz said:
If you note that the angle between the two sides that you have labeled 4 and h is 2θ
How did you determine that angle to be 2θ?
And to answer your question, I used the pythagorean theorem to find one of the side lengths
upload_2014-10-6_17-20-23.png

From what you have above, it seems that the height ##(h+4)= Ccos(\theta)## Where, as you mentioned, C is the length of the hypotenuse. You should be able to solve that for h in terms of theta and plug that into the formula for area.

RUber said:
From what you have above, it seems that the height ##(h+4)= Ccos(\theta)## Where, as you mentioned, C is the length of the hypotenuse. You should be able to solve that for h in terms of theta and plug that into the formula for area.
If I solve for h, that would give me Ccosθ-4=h. Is it ok to have an extra variable (C) in there?

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-6_17-37-28.png
    upload_2014-10-6_17-37-28.png
    7 KB · Views: 521
reigner617 said:
How did you determine that angle to be 2θ?

That upper triangle is an isosceles triangle with equal sides of ##4##. Its angles are ##\theta,\theta, 180 -2\theta##. Label them. The supplement of that last one is the angle you are looking for.

Once you have that you have both ##h## and the other leg in terms of ##\theta##.

Are these labeled correctly?
upload_2014-10-6_20-53-53.png

If those are correct, can I use the law of sines such that

h/(sin90-2θ) = 4/sin90
h = 4(sin90-2θ)
h=4(1-2θ)
h=4-8θ

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-6_20-54-57.png
    upload_2014-10-6_20-54-57.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 495
reigner617 said:
Are these labeled correctly?
View attachment 74104
If those are correct, can I use the law of sines such that

h/(sin90-2θ) = 4/sin90

You mean ##h/\sin(90-2\theta)##. Parentheses are important.

h = 4(sin90-2θ)
h=4(1-2θ)
h=4-8θ

Which is why you then get nonsense. Also, it is silly to use the law of sines given the picture. You have adjacent sides to the ##h## and ##4## for the angle ##2\theta##. What trig function does that give you for ##h##? Similarly for the other leg.

That would be cos2θ=h/4
4cos2θ=h

Yes. And what about the other leg?

Well since h=4cos2θ, couldn't we just substitute it into the expression to get sqrt(16-(4cos2θ)^2) for the base?

That looks a lot like ##4(\sqrt(1-\cos^2 2\theta)##. It seems like the long way to get to the opposite side from the angle ##2\theta## with hypotenuse 4.

reigner617 said:
Well since h=4cos2θ, couldn't we just substitute it into the expression to get sqrt(16-(4cos2θ)^2) for the base?

Yes, you could, but you would want to simplify it. But, again, it is silly to do it that way. What trig formula uses opposite/hypotenuse?

That would be sine. So if I were to use that, I would get sin(2θ)= [sqrt(16-(h^2))]/4. But I don't understand what this would accomplish since we're trying to look for max area, and that involves base and height

Ahhh never mind. I think I see it now

reigner617 said:
That would be sine. So if I were to use that, I would get sin(2θ)= [sqrt(16-(h^2))]/4. But I don't understand what this would accomplish since we're trying to look for max area, and that involves base and height

So instead of calling that leg ##\sqrt{16-h^2}## you can call it ##4\sin(2\theta)##. Now you have both legs of that little triangle in terms of ##\theta##. Now you can express the area of the original big triangle in terms of ##\theta##. Then you are ready for the calculus problem of maximizing the area. Too bad the trig is holding you back so badly. Perhaps you should review it.

So A= 1/2 (4cos(2θ))(4sin(2θ))
= 8cos(2θ)sin(2θ)

deriving this, we get A'= -16(sin(2θ))2 + 16(cos(2θ))2

setting it to zero, we get θ= 30 degrees

substituting this for θ we get 2(sqrt(3))

However, another part of the question was solving the area in terms of h (I used A= [sqrt(16-h2)](h+4)

Following the same steps as I did for the one above, I get h=-4 and 2. h can't be -4 because if we use it, h+4 would go to zero, and the whole area would be zero. So h can only be 2.

Substituting this for h I get 12(sqrt(3))

What am I doing wrong?

reigner617 said:
So A= 1/2 (4cos(2θ))(4sin(2θ))
= 8cos(2θ)sin(2θ)

Isn't the height of your triangle ##4+4\cos(2\theta)##? And why the 1/2 out in front?

Ah thank you for pointing that out. It works now. The 1/2 was put there by mistake because I was thinking fo 1/2 (bh). Thank you for all your help

It works now? Given what I have seen so far, I doubt it. How about showing what you did to finish?

I used 4cos(2x)+4 for the height so A=4sin2x(4+4cos2x). I derived that and still got 30 for the angle. Substituting that into the Area formula, I get 12(sqrt(3)) which is the same as the answer I got when I solved in terms of h

##4\sin 2\theta## is 1/2 base and ## 4 + 4 \cos 2\theta## is the height.
Your method of taking the derivative and setting it to zero is good. The best option is to rearrange the derivative as a quadratic function of ##\cos 2 \theta##. h=-4 will be your minimum (zero) and another value for h will be your max. Both should be solutions of A'=0.

reigner617 said:
I used 4cos(2x)+4 for the height so A=4sin2x(4+4cos2x). I derived that and still got 30 for the angle. Substituting that into the Area formula, I get 12(sqrt(3)) which is the same as the answer I got when I solved in terms of h

Good job. I presume you have noticed that the optimal shape is an equilateral triangle.

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is 1/2 * base * height. The base and height can be any two sides of the triangle as long as they form a right angle.

2. How can I optimize the area of a triangle?

To optimize the area of a triangle, you can use the formula for finding the area and adjust the values of the base and height. Keep in mind that the base and height must still form a right angle, but you can vary their lengths to find the maximum area.

3. What is the difference between maximizing and minimizing the area of a triangle?

Maximizing the area of a triangle means finding the largest possible area, while minimizing the area means finding the smallest possible area. This can be achieved by adjusting the values of the base and height using the formula for finding the area.

4. Can the area of a triangle be negative?

No, the area of a triangle cannot be negative. It is a measurement of space and cannot have a negative value. If you get a negative value when calculating the area, it means that the base and height may not form a right angle.

5. Is there a specific unit for measuring the area of a triangle?

The area of a triangle can be measured in any unit of length squared, such as square meters or square inches. The unit used will depend on the unit of measurement used for the base and height of the triangle.