How can I optimize my homework solutions for efficiency and accuracy?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a math problem involving finding the dimensions that will minimize the volume of a box. The student presents their solution and asks for help in finding their mistake. After receiving advice on how to approach the problem, the student realizes their error and thanks the others for their help.
Slimsta

Homework Statement

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1826/43544187.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

whats wrong with my answers? everything looks right to me... :S

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing wrong that I see is that you haven't answered the question. You said that the volume will be minimized. You have given x, but you haven't found y and have not said what the dimensions are.

HallsofIvy said:
The only thing wrong that I see is that you haven't answered the question. You said that the volume will be minimized. You have given x, but you haven't found y and have not said what the dimensions are.

y=2500/17.12

the thing is, i only have to choose the right answer from those drop down menu boxes..
so i must of chosen something wrong.. but what? i don't see any mistakes

okay my derivatives look fine.. when f'(x)=0 x=17.1
f''(x) > 0 for x>0.. that's right because if plugging in a negative number i will get f''(x) = -..

so what's wrong?

can someone please help me?

why are u guys ignoring this post? is it something that i said?
for the last part where it says it will be relative min, when x=___
would it be -21.5446 ?
i got it by getting the second derivative equal to 0

One of your entry boxes says "This implies that the surface area is given in S only..."
Except for this, everything else it looks fine.

Here's a tip you might consider. Many or most of the problems you have posted have oddball numbers such as a volume of V = 2500.1055 cm^3.
I did all of my calculations using V, and replaced V only in the very last step. This saved my from writing 2500.1055 a bunch of times.

For example, A = x^2 + 4V/x. It's easy to get dA/dx = 2x -4V/x^2. Rewriting this as dA/dx = 2x -4Vx-2, it's easy to get the second derivative and verify that it's positive for all x > 0.

Mark44 said:
One of your entry boxes says "This implies that the surface area is given in S only..."
Except for this, everything else it looks fine.

Here's a tip you might consider. Many or most of the problems you have posted have oddball numbers such as a volume of V = 2500.1055 cm^3.
I did all of my calculations using V, and replaced V only in the very last step. This saved my from writing 2500.1055 a bunch of times.

For example, A = x^2 + 4V/x. It's easy to get dA/dx = 2x -4V/x^2. Rewriting this as dA/dx = 2x -4Vx-2, it's easy to get the second derivative and verify that it's positive for all x > 0.

i did it this way.. i substituted V only at the very end and i got the same answers..
and about the "This implies that the surface area is given in S only..." yeah i didnt read it carefully but still. now i got it tnx!

Last edited:

1. What is optimization?

Optimization is the process of finding the best possible solution for a given problem or objective. It involves maximizing or minimizing a certain variable or set of variables, while also considering any constraints that may be present.

2. What is meant by "open box" in optimization?

"Open box" refers to a type of optimization problem where the variables and constraints are not fully defined or known. This means that the potential solutions are not limited to a specific range, and there may be multiple ways to achieve the optimal solution.

3. How is optimization used in science?

Optimization is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and biology, to find the most efficient or effective solutions for different problems. It can be used to design experiments, optimize processes, and improve the performance of systems.

4. What are some common optimization techniques?

Some common optimization techniques include linear programming, gradient descent, genetic algorithms, and simulated annealing. These techniques use mathematical and computational methods to find the optimal solution for a given problem.

5. What are the benefits of using optimization?

Optimization can help save time, resources, and costs by finding the best possible solution for a problem. It also allows for more efficient and effective decision-making, as well as the ability to improve and optimize existing systems and processes.