Calculating R1 and R2 for Opto-Triac Output Circuit

In summary: I'm not sure what you are asking.The driver supplies current to the LED.In summary, the LHS circuit is a series circuit, and the LED will require 8 mA of current to be supplied.
Michael Neo
Homework Statement
Referring to the opto-triac output circuit shown below.

Given the following parameters:

Logic voltage = 3.3 V
D1 forward voltage drop = 1.8 V
D1 operating current = 10 mA
Opto-triac minimum operating current = 2 mA
Opto-triac LED forward voltage drop = 1.6V

Calculate suitable values for R1 and R2, show all your working.
Relevant Equations
Ohm's law
Homework Statement: Referring to the opto-triac output circuit shown below.

Given the following parameters:

Logic voltage = 3.3 V
D1 forward voltage drop = 1.8 V
D1 operating current = 10 mA
Opto-triac minimum operating current = 2 mA
Opto-triac LED forward voltage drop = 1.6V

Calculate suitable values for R1 and R2, show all your working.
Homework Equations: Ohm's law

Opto.PNG

I am baffled. The example in the notes relates to a series circuit.

Calculating R1 and R2
If 3.3 V were connected, then both of these devices would burn out unless resistors limited the current to a safe value (10 mA?).
Therefore, these resistors need to drop (3.3V-?V) whilst carrying 10mA.

The circuit is parallel - So I am using the formula used for resistors in parallel and applying it to the voltage drops in parallel.

1/?V = 1/1.8 + 1/1.6
V = 72/85 V

Therefore, the resistors need to drop 3.3 - (72/85) = (417/170) V

R1 + R2 = (417/170) / 0.01

R1 + R2 = (4170/17) Ω

The switch current is 10 mA but only 2 mA is needed through the opto-isolator LED.
Therefore, 10 mA − 2m A = 8 mA will need to be removed by the use of R2 with a value:

R2 = 1.6/0.008
R2 = 200 Ω

So, R1 = (4170/170) - 200 = (770/17) Ω

Physics news on Phys.org
You say you are familiar with series circuits and these circuits are in parallel. So far I agree.

How about if you think of each of the series circuits by itself, one at a time; even though they are in parallel with each other?

Pick one of them and let's see what the calculation is.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Michael Neo
Thank you for the reply, Tom.

D1 resistance
R = V/I
RD1 = 1.8/0.01
RD1 = 180 ohms

Calculate total resistance (for one parallel path but treating as a series circuit)

If treat this parallel path as a series circuit:

Rtotal = Vtotal / Itotal

Rtotal = 3.3 / 0.01

Rtotal = 330 Ω

R1 resistance

R1 = 330 - 180 = 150 ΩI am not sure about the other parallel path because the phrase "minimum operating current" is used rather than "operating current".

I may have misinterpreted the LHS circuit.

I thought it was a parallel circuit because of the wire labelled with 0 V.

If current splits, it is parallel, but there is no current flowing into that path? So the LHS is a series circuit.

The current passing through D1 is 0.01 A, because it is a series circuit, the current flowing through the whole LHS is 0.01 A.

Calculate Opto-triac LED resistance

Ropto-triac = 1.6 / 0.01
Ropto-triac = 160 Ω

D1 resistance

R = V/I
RD1 = 1.8/0.01
RD1 = 180 ohms

Calculate Rtotal

Rtotal = Vtotal / Itotal

Rtotal = 3.3 / 0.01

Rtotal = 330 Ω

R1 + 2 resistance

R1 + 2 = 330 - 340 = -10 Ω

That can't be right!

Last edited:
I will retry but when calculating the opto-triac resistance, the minimum operating current will be used.

Calculate Opto-triac LED resistance

Ropto-triac = 1.6 / 0.002
Ropto-triac = 80 Ω

D1 resistance

R = V/I
RD1 = 1.8/0.01
RD1 = 180 ohms

Calculate Rtotal

Rtotal = Vtotal / Itotal

Rtotal = 3.3 / 0.01

Rtotal = 330 Ω

R1 + 2 resistance

R1 + 2 = 330 - 260 = 70 Ω

If R1 + R2 = 70 Ω, what are the individual values of R1 and R2?

The operating current is 10 mA but only 2 mA is needed through the opto-isolator LED.
Therefore, 10 mA − 2m A = 8 mA will need to be removed by the use of R2 with a value:

R2 = 1.6/0.008
R2 = 20 Ω

If R1 + R2 = 70 Ω
R1 = (R1 + R2) - R2
R1 = 70 - 20
R1 = 50 Ω

Last edited:
What would you say is the function of D1 in this circuit? Explain what it does here.

Ohm's Law says the value of a resistance is equal to the voltage across that resistor ÷ the current through it.

What value is the desired voltage across R1 in this design?

Likes Michael Neo
The purpose of the LED D1 is to show current is flowing?

If voltage drop across LED D1 is 1.8 V, then the voltage across the resistor is 3.3 - 1.8 = 1.5 V

R = V/I

R1 = 1.5/0.01

R1 = 150 Ω

Michael Neo said:
R1 = 150 Ω
That looks right. Now determine R2.

Likes Michael Neo
The operating current is 10 mA but only 2 mA is needed through the opto-isolator LED.

Therefore, 10 mA − 2m A = 8 mA will need to be removed by the use of R2:

R2 = 1.6/0.008
R2 = 20 Ω

Michael Neo said:
The operating current is 10 mA

10mA is given for the current through D1, but I can't see 10mA specified for anything else.

You are given 2mA as the minimum current for the triac diode, so you could use that as the design parameter, or you might say, well, to allow a margin, I'll design for at least 3mA.

Likes Michael Neo
If the LHS circuit is a series circuit, 10 mA will flow through the whole circuit.

Michael Neo said:
If the LHS circuit is a series circuit, 10 mA will flow through the whole circuit.
But it isn't a series arrangement. The driver supplies current to two diode networks in parallel, so each has a current independent of the other’s.

Likes Michael Neo
I thought Logic signal (3.3 V) was the only source of voltage in the LHS circuit.

Michael Neo said:
I thought Logic signal (3.3 V) was the only source of voltage in the LHS circuit.

It is.

Likes Michael Neo
If the LHS circuit is a parallel circuit, then the current in the other path needs to be calculated.

Is the LHS circuit, a series or parallel circuit?

If it is a series circuit, the same current will flow around it.
If it is a parallel circuit, the paths will NOT have the same current flowing around it.

The purpose of R2 is to reduce the current to the Opto-triac LEDs minimum operating current (i.e. 2 mA).

Therefore, it is necessary to calculate the current in that path THEN calculate the resistance required to achieve this reduction.

In a parallel circuit, the voltage drops across each of the parallel paths is the same as the voltage gain in voltage source.

If the voltage drop in the Opto-triac is 1.6 V, then the voltage drop in R1 must be 1.7 V (1.6 + 1.7 = 3.3).

I am baffled how to calculate the current in that part of the circuit.

I have total voltage but not total current or total resistance.

I assumed that the current flows in an anti-clockwise direction.

However, the components indicates the current splits at the first node.

If so, then R2 doesn't perform the function outlined above.

The voltage across R2 = 3.3 - 1.6 = 1.7 V
So, R1 is simply:

R1 = 1.7/0.002
R1 = 850 Ω

The direction of the current is given in the diagram.

Current passing through a diode can only go in one direction, called the forward direction.

The diode allows current to flow in the direction of the arrow.

So, the current does split at the first node.

Michael Neo said:
So, the current does split at the first node.
The current from the logic driver splits and travels to the 0v line via two independent parallel paths. Independent means independent, so the choice of current through R2 here has nothing whatever to do with the value of current through R1.

Yes.

NascentOxygen said:
The current from the logic driver splits and travels to the 0v line via two independent parallel paths. Independent means independent, so the choice of current through R2 here has nothing whatever to do with the value of current through R1.

Then:

Michael Neo said:
If so, then R2 doesn't perform the function outlined above.

So, R2 is simply:

R2 = 1.7/0.002
R2 = 850 Ω

Last edited:
Michael Neo said:
So, R1 is simply:

R1 = 1.7/0.002
R1 = 850 Ω

That may be sufficient for this exercise, but in practice you wouldn't design for operation right at the minimum, you'd go for a higher current to allow a margin for reliability. Further, you're not going to specify 850 ohms, you'll choose one of the preferred values.

Likes Michael Neo
This is a very straightforward question:
(a) if you relax and read the diagram first and understand what is happening (especially the impact of the diodes on the direction of the current);
(b) because of the direction of current flow, the function of R2 is not the same as the example given in the notes.

What do you mean by "... you'll choose one of the preferred values"?

Michael Neo said:
the function of R2 is not the same as the example given in the notes.
What does the example in your notes say is the function of the series resistor for the LED in the opto-triac?

Likes Michael Neo
In the example, the purpose of R2 is to reduce the current to the Opto-triac LEDs minimum operating current (i.e. 2 mA).

Therefore, 10 mA − 2 mA = 8 mA will need to be removed by the use of R2:

R2 = 1.6/0.008
R2 = 20 Ω

But the direction of current flow in the new question is different because there are two diodes in the LHS circuit.

Michael Neo said:
Therefore, 10 mA − 2m A = 8 mA will need to be removed by the use of R2:
It sounds as though that example involved a fixed current driver, not the fixed voltage driver shown in this exercise. Was R shown connected in series or in parallel with the opto-triac's LED in your notes?

Likes Michael Neo
Here's the diagram with calculations:

LED.PNG

As suspected, it's a different arrangement.

Likes Michael Neo
R1 = 150 Ω
R2 = 850 Ω

This question was easier than the example question.

It is important to read and understand the diagram before throwing things onto the page in panic.

Michael Neo said:
What do you mean by "... you'll choose one of the preferred values"?
If you go into a city electronics store and ask for an 850 ohm resistor, the salesperson will say, "Sorry, but no one stocks that value."

Thank you for the excellent advice and support, NascentOxygen.

1. What is the purpose of calculating R1 and R2 for an Opto-Triac output circuit?

The purpose of calculating R1 and R2 for an Opto-Triac output circuit is to determine the appropriate values for these resistors in order to achieve the desired output voltage and current levels. These resistors are used to limit the current flowing through the opto-triac and ensure safe and efficient operation of the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the value of R1 for an Opto-Triac output circuit?

The value of R1 can be calculated using the formula R1 = (Vcc - Vf) / If, where Vcc is the supply voltage, Vf is the forward voltage drop of the opto-triac, and If is the desired output current. This formula ensures that R1 limits the current to a safe level while still allowing enough current to flow through the opto-triac for it to turn on.

3. What is the role of R2 in an Opto-Triac output circuit?

R2 is used to adjust the trigger voltage of the opto-triac. It acts as a voltage divider with the opto-triac's internal resistance, allowing the circuit to be triggered at a specific voltage level. R2 also helps to stabilize the circuit and prevent false triggering.

4. How do I choose the value of R2 for an Opto-Triac output circuit?

The value of R2 can be chosen based on the desired trigger voltage and the internal resistance of the opto-triac. A good starting point is to use a value that is equal to the internal resistance of the opto-triac. From there, the value can be adjusted to achieve the desired trigger voltage.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating R1 and R2 for an Opto-Triac output circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using incorrect values for Vcc, Vf, and If, not taking into account the internal resistance of the opto-triac, and not considering the power rating of the resistors. It is also important to ensure that the resistors are connected in the correct orientation and that the circuit is properly grounded.