Order of Math and Physics Courses

In summary, it is recommended to complete Calculus 1 before beginning Physics 1, as it should adequately prepare you for the course. The order of taking ODEs, multivariable calculus, and linear algebra is not crucial, and can be tailored to your preference and schedule. However, it is important to make sure your Calculus 1 course covers basic derivatives and integrals to ensure a smooth transition to Physics 1.
Johnx014
Hello, I am preparing to start college and I'm looking for assistance in how to order my courses. Before taking any Physics courses, my school requires you complete Calculus 1. After taking Calculus 1, I will be eligible for Physics 1. Would it be wise to complete Calculus 2 before beginning Physics 1, or should succeeding in Calculus 1 adequately prepare me for Physics 1?

A description of Physics 1: This course is a calculus-based study of the mechanics of rigid bodies, emphasizing Newton's laws and its applications. This course includes an introduction to fluids. It is designed for engineering, physical science, and computer science majors.

Also, after Calculus 2, I'll need to take Ordinary Differential Equations, Multivariable Calculus, and Linear Algebra. What would be the preferable order to take these classes?

My planned major is Aerospace Engineering. I'm starting at a community college and expecting to spend 3 years competing prerequisite transfer classes, so taking extra time to get everything done doesn't worry me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculus 1 should adequately prepare you for an introductory, calculus-based physics course. As for ODEs, multivariable calculus, and linear algebra, I don't think order should be important. I did multivariable calculus first, and then ODEs and linear algebra concurrently, which worked out well for me.

Cheers.

Johnx014 said:
Would it be wise to complete Calculus 2 before beginning Physics 1, or should succeeding in Calculus 1 adequately prepare me for Physics 1?

Assuming your Calc 1 covers both basic derivatives and basic integrals, you'll be OK. This is a common prerequisite for Physics 1 at many colleges/universities. You probably won't actually use much calculus in Physics 1 for working out problems, and when you do, it will probably involve only simple derivatives and integrals like polynomials and maybe sines, cosines or exponentials. The calculus is mainly used to make basic relationships between physical quantities simpler or more general, i.e. acceleration is the derivative of velocity, etc.

Related to Order of Math and Physics Courses

1. What is the recommended order of taking math and physics courses?

The recommended order of taking math and physics courses is to first complete the foundational math courses such as algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Then, move on to calculus and differential equations. After completing these math courses, it is recommended to take introductory physics courses, followed by more advanced topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. Can I take physics courses before completing all math prerequisites?

It is not recommended to take physics courses before completing the necessary math prerequisites. Physics heavily relies on mathematical concepts and formulas, so having a strong foundation in math is crucial for success in physics courses.

3. Are there any specific math courses that are particularly important for physics?

Calculus is the most important math course for physics. It provides the necessary tools for understanding and solving problems in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and other areas of physics. Differential equations is also important for more advanced topics in physics.

4. Is it possible to take math and physics courses simultaneously?

It is possible to take math and physics courses simultaneously, but it is not recommended. Both subjects require a significant amount of time and effort to fully understand and excel in. It is best to focus on one subject at a time to ensure a strong understanding of the material.

5. Can I take physics courses without a strong math background?

It is not recommended to take physics courses without a strong math background. As mentioned earlier, physics heavily relies on mathematical concepts and formulas. Without a strong foundation in math, it may be difficult to understand and apply these concepts in physics courses.