Ordinary Diffusion and integration by parts

In summary, the homework statement is that the mean value of the square of the position is equal to 2Dt. The equations for ordinary 1D diffusion show that the mean value of the square of the position is equal to 2Dt if the diffusion is slow and D is the diffusion coefficient. The Attempt at a Solution states that the mean value of the square of the position is equal to 2Dt if the diffusion is slow and D is the diffusion coefficient. The problem is trying to justify that assumption. The solution is to assume that p(0,t) = 1 and that p(\infty,t)=0. This still leaves me multiplying zero times infinity, and is considered to be indeterminate.
Old Guy

Homework Statement

For ordinary 1D diffusion show that the mean value of the square of the position is equal to 2Dt

Homework Equations

[tex]\left\langle {x^2 \left( t \right)} \right\rangle \equiv \int\limits_0^\infty {x^2 p\left( {x,t} \right)dx}
[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}p\left( {x,t} \right) = D\frac{{\partial ^2 }}{{\partial x^2 }}p\left( {x,t} \right)
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\left\langle {x^2 \left( t \right)} \right\rangle \equiv \int\limits_0^\infty {x^2 p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} \\
\frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}\left\langle {x^2 \left( t \right)} \right\rangle = \frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}\int\limits_0^\infty {x^2 p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} = \int\limits_0^\infty {x^2 \frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} + \int\limits_0^\infty {p\left( {x,t} \right)\frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}x^2 dx} \\
\frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}\left\langle {x^2 \left( t \right)} \right\rangle = \int\limits_0^\infty {x^2 \frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} + \int\limits_0^\infty {p\left( {x,t} \right)\frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}x^2 dx} \\
\frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}\left\langle {x^2 \left( t \right)} \right\rangle = \int\limits_0^\infty {x^2 \frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} + \int\limits_0^\infty {p\left( {x,t} \right)\frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}x^2 dx} \\
\\
\int\limits_0^\infty {x^2 \frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} = D\int\limits_0^\infty {x^2 \frac{{\partial ^2 }}{{\partial x^2 }}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} \\
u = x^2 \Rightarrow du = 2xdx \\
dv = \frac{{d^2 }}{{dx^2 }}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx \Rightarrow v = \frac{d}{{dx}}p\left( {x,t} \right) \\
\int\limits_0^\infty {x^2 \frac{\partial }{{\partial t}}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} = Dx^2 \frac{d}{{dx}}p\left( {x,t} \right) - 2D\int\limits_0^\infty {x\frac{d}{{dx}}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} \\
\\
\int\limits_0^\infty {x\frac{d}{{dx}}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} \\
u = x \Rightarrow du = dx \\
dv = \frac{d}{{dx}}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx \Rightarrow v = p\left( {x,t} \right) \\
\int\limits_0^\infty {x\frac{d}{{dx}}p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} = xp\left( {x,t} \right) - \int\limits_0^\infty {p\left( {x,t} \right)dx} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

I see that I'm home free if
[tex]Dx^2 \frac{d}{{dx}}p\left( {x,t} \right) = 0[/tex]
and

[tex]
xp\left( {x,t} \right) = 0
[/tex]

but how can I justify that?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that when you integrate by parts, you have to evaluate the boundary term at the endpoints of the integral.
[tex]\int_a^b u\,\mathrm{d}v = uv\color{red}{\biggr|_a^b} - \int_a^b v\,\mathrm{d}u[/tex]
You're missing the part in red. You'll also need to make an assumption about the form of [itex]p(x,t)[/itex] as [itex]x\to \infty[/itex].

I understand, of course, about the boundary terms. It seems to work out if I assume that p(0,t)=1 (ie, the particle(s) all start at the origin) and that p([itex]\infty[/itex],t)=0 (there is nothing at the infinite boundary). This still leaves me multiplying zero times infinity, and isn't that considered to be indeterminate? So I still don't see how to make these terms vanish.

Old Guy said:
I understand, of course, about the boundary terms. It seems to work out if I assume that p(0,t)=1 (ie, the particle(s) all start at the origin)
nooo no no no, that's the wrong way to interpret p(x,t). It's a probability density. The probability itself that a particle is found between a and b at time t is given by [itex]P = \int_a^b p(x,t)\mathrm{d}x[/itex], and that integral can be very small even if [itex]p(x,t)=1[/itex] in the range in question. A probability density can go all the way up to infinity, as long as the integral is finite.

In any case, I don't think you can necessarily assume that p(0,t) = 1, but you don't need to.
Old Guy said:
and that p([itex]\infty[/itex],t)=0 (there is nothing at the infinite boundary). This still leaves me multiplying zero times infinity, and isn't that considered to be indeterminate?
This is why I said you have to assume something about the form of the probability density as [itex]x\to \infty[/itex], not at infinity. Infinity is always a limit in physics, so you will have to think about the functional form (linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.) of p(x,t) in the limit of very large x. You could try coming at it backwards: what form could p(x,t) take (at large x) such that the limit of xp(x,t) would not be well-defined? Then make your assumption that p(x,t) does not take such a form.

Thank you for your help, diazona. I still haven't completely wrapped my mind around probability densities yet. Nonetheless, with your suggestion (and some mathematical sleight of hand) I was able to satisfy myself that p(x,t) in the form of 2/x made the terms vanish as needed. A function that approaches 0 as x approaches infinity makes physical sense, to me, too. Thanks again!

You're welcome :wink: Just make sure your derivation doesn't require that p(x,t) = 2/x. You can assume that p(x,t) goes to zero as x goes to infinity at least as fast as 2/x because otherwise it wouldn't be normalizable, but it's not necessarily equal to 2/x.

1. What is ordinary diffusion?

Ordinary diffusion is a type of diffusion that occurs in a homogeneous medium, where particles or molecules move from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. It is a random process that results in the mixing of substances.

2. How does diffusion happen?

Diffusion happens because of the random movement of particles or molecules. These particles move from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration until the concentration is equalized. This process continues until equilibrium is reached.

3. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals, which are a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve. This technique involves breaking down the integral into simpler parts and using a formula to solve it.

4. When is integration by parts used?

Integration by parts is typically used when the integral consists of a product of two functions, where one function is easy to integrate and the other is difficult. By using this technique, the difficult function can be simplified, making it easier to solve the integral.

5. What are some real-world applications of ordinary diffusion and integration by parts?

Ordinary diffusion is a fundamental process in many natural phenomena, such as the spread of pollutants in the environment, the movement of nutrients in cells, and the diffusion of gases in the atmosphere. Integration by parts is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving rates of change and optimization.